Did any non-season pass holders boycott Black Ops 2 this weekend?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Did any non-season pass holders boycott Black Ops 2 this weekend?

Treyarch just did a double xp/double weapon xp weekend just for Season Pass holders. And they did it in a kind of shady way. Instead of telling everyone who plays Black Ops 2 , they quietly sent an email to Season Pass holders and avoided telling everyone else about what was happening this weekend. Season Pass holders got accelerated xp and non Season Pass holders got xp at the regular rate. Essentially, they were using Non Season Pass holders as XP boosters. I know that they did this as a reward to people who bought the Season Pass, but it felt unfair to everyone else. So I spent this weekend playing GTA 5. My question is, did anyone else avoid Black Ops 2 this weekend, and if so, what did you play instead?

Level 2
19 REPLIES

Re: Did any non-season pass holders boycott Black Ops 2 this weekend?

in reply to lonesapper

Didn't even know.  All well, they paid so maybe that extra little incentive to push people towards that extra purchase.  Extra incentive for the extra investment, cant hold it against them to much.  I bet I still killed them more anyways....MERK ON my friend

Level 7

in reply to lonesapper

You probably would be dismayed to know that Season Pass holders also received a title and NT Zombies for free.  There are perks to buying the Season Pass beyond the $10 savings.  If you want them then buy it next time.

PS: Folks that preordered the game got Nuketown 2025 at launch and enjoyed 2xp the first weekend.

The early bird gets the worm.

Level 69

in reply to lonesapper

Oh, I'm not hating on them. Well, not too much anyways. I am just curious what the overall feeling is. But I also think it is a valid question at a time when Black Ops 2 is at the end of its cycle. Personally, I would be trying to draw more people to play the game and away from the competition instead of alienating a group of players. At this time most people I know have stopped playing BO2 altogether as they wait for Ghosts to come out. And they have alot to choose from. GTA 5 has taken away alot of players from BO2. Ultimately it doesn't matter, but I am trying to gauge if others saw this as just another reason to walk away from a title who's major lifespan is just about over anyway.

Level 2

in reply to lonesapper

Yea the timing is questionable.  Maybe gave some extra incentive for players who may have stepped away to return for a weekend.  Its not like it costs them anything to offer that, so they arent losing anything, and are just providing for those who have assisted that extra bit in what they have already made.  I think like everytime a new COD comes out, people will try it and stick around for a little, and some will always go back to their favorite or keep playing the new one.  I personally will be plugged in on Ghost for a while weather I like it or not as it is new and depending on league/clan options (whatever they have) will stay or bounce back and fourth.  I enjoy league play, and pubs get boring after a while so Ghost will be a refreshing new start, and hope they have some competitive edge to keep me entertained once the pubs get old ( which will still prob take a few months at least).

Level 7

in reply to lonesapper

by the way... I'm probably a little too excited for Ghosts... despite all the haters( who will always find something to whine about) , it looks sick to me.

Level 7

in reply to lonesapper

I didn't get an email from them (perhaps it went into the spam folder?) I first found out when I booted up the game and the message of the day said it was 2xp for season pass holders. And like phxs said, theres perks to having the season pass. Compared to other games, double xp for a weekend is nothing (GOW season pass holders get perma-double xp!)

Level 35
Highlighted

in reply to Megadog14

Yeah and people moaned about that for Gears of War when I don't think it affected game balance in any way, unlike the unlock system in COD.  Actually if COD gave players perma double XP it would make it more worthwhile.  If people see it as a problem purely because people are paying for a leg up then perhaps they should look at the unlock system as being an issue itself.  BO2 was the first COD game to force max prestige to get everything unlocked.  As a result I have outplayed MW3 far more than BO2 because of the forced grind but I like BO2 better.

Level 31

in reply to lonesapper

Yes it was a bonus for season pass holders, but im a season pass holder and it didnt help me any.  i wouldnt get too mad if your not a season pass holder, cause 2xp and 2x weapon xp does nothing for me or most with the season pass, as we have been prestige master since 2 months after the game came out! so 2xp is useless. Also, most my weapons are fully maxed, so double weapon xp does nothing either!  Its cool that they were trying to give season pass holders a bonus, but if you have been a season pass holder for awhile, those incentives didnt really offer us anything. i stopped playing about 2 months ago,deleted maps, etc, then came back about 2 weeks ago.  i played for like 2 days, but this game is done, the double xp etc didnt get many back to playing, too many problems that come along with this game. its done and over.

Level 11

in reply to lonesapper

Yeah. I think its a ripoff since I didnt buy FIFA 2014 that they never sent me an email either.

You didnt need an email to know it was Double XP for Season Pass holders. It was on your TV when you played the game.

Even if you played anyway it didnt change the fact you still didnt get Double XP.

BTW I was playing GTA5 forever since the game came out. There IS a lot more to do then just shoot at people. But the game sucking isnt why I played it. Just because it was something new.

Level 72

Studios