Hardcore Gameplay Experience Vs Core Gameplay Experience

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Hardcore Gameplay Experience Vs Core Gameplay Experience

First off.. This is NOT a Hardcore vs Core discussion. I am a Hardcore Player, and I have respect for those who enjoy Core as well. Please leave that discussion at the door, it will be Off Topic here.

What I am asking is if HC players are seeing connections in this game differently than core players.

As a Hardcore Player, I have had minimal problem with "Lag Compensation" and "Hit Detection". My bullets go where I aim them, and They hit where I aim. I still get some WTF moments, but 9/10 times when I take a second look I find my aim was off or the other player just had the drop on me. I still get laggy lobbies. I still get incidents where I get "Connection Interrupted", but for the most part the game plays like it should play.

I read the complaints on here, and maybe it is just me, but it seems the Lag Comp/Hit Detection discussions are usually started by Core Players. The threads talk about bullets going through the opponent or enemies appearing to be bullet sponges.

So my question is pretty straight forward. Is it just that the elements of Core (Health Regen, 100% health, etc) make the lag more evident? Is there more to it than that? Is it the larger community?

Would love to get some answers for how your experience has been with the following info in there somewhere-

1) Do you play Core or Hardcore?

2) What has your Gameplay experience (connection only mind you, not asking about OP guns, etc) been like?

3) Have you played both and noticed a difference connection wise?

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing your responses. No right or wrong answers here... just want to hear your experiences. Politely asking for no flame wars or expletive laced tirades. Be Awesome to Eachother.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
48 REPLIES

Re: Hardcore Gameplay Experience Vs Core Gameplay Experience

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

It's subjective, not everyone sees it the same way first and foremost.

At release I played core and it was so bad I had to switch to hc. Now I gave it a good couple of days playtime too and even considered quitting cod. My main issue then was hosting with a sprinkle of bad host selection and matchmaking on top.

To put into perspective, one game it would take x amount of bullets to kill someone then the next game I would put the same amount of bullets into someone and stop firing thinking they should be dead by now and they're not. That's just a straight up situation of catching someone unaware. I found it to be seriously obvious something was up from the get go. It became more obvious that these situations were happening when I was host. Yes there were bad hosts and generally laggy games too.

The move to hc is a big difference and the problems are still there when I host but with the limited health and the fact quicker reaction times and awareness can balance up your chances it's basically somewhat bearable most of the time. The matchmaking is still an issue for me on top of that.

The big advantage is there's no killcam rubbing salt into the wounds showing you standing still and not firing when you know that wasn't the case.

When the dlc came out I played a couple of mins in the core playlist and it was still as bad as I remember it and I wasn't even host but the matchmaking for the dlc is questionable to the point I've now took out the dlc usb anyway.

Like I said it's subjective only 1 person hosts and not all hosts have my matchmaking, playstyle or the same connection as me.

Anyway the people with core issues should give hc a try I'm not going back until the next cod.

Level 16

in reply to Ss78_

The killcam is a great point. I wonder how many complaints generate simply from the wonky nature of the killcam rather than the experience itself.

You are right, it is definitely subjective and will differ for everyone, but overall just wanted to try an experiment to see how people have found the HC experience versus Core and vice versa. Good to hear from someone who has experience in both.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

nicedrewishfela wrote:

The killcam is a great point. I wonder how many complaints generate simply from the wonky nature of the killcam rather than the experience itself.

You are right, it is definitely subjective and will differ for everyone, but overall just wanted to try an experiment to see how people have found the HC experience versus Core and vice versa. Good to hear from someone who has experience in both.

kill cams are, in my own opinion, 80% of the reason people complain about anything in this game. they just dont make it seem like theres lag, it makes some weapons appear to have no recoil at all.

Level 45

in reply to deamonomic

So glad there are no killcams in HC. Frustrating enough that I die, I don't want to see it again lol

Killcams are misleading, and people shouldn't take them too seriously. The only things to take from them are the location of the enemy.

Activision Ambassador

I just spam the X button when I die XD. If i have time to watch a kill cam, thats time i could have spent getting revenge.

Level 45

in reply to deamonomic

That's really funny.... considering all the massive complaints about the lack of respawn time in HC. Personally, I do the same thing. I don't want to sit there and "spectate." As much as I love S&D, I don't want to do a lot of watching in KC and Deathmatch.

In response to the OP. I play HC, and have found that my connection is massively better in Hardcore than it is in Core mode. I have played both. Obviously, I don't have any decent ideas as to why, but it seems to make a big difference.

Personally, I think that Core has more casual players -- a.k.a. those that just hop on for a few minutes here or there... nothing wrong with that, but I think it contributes to an increased level of lag compensation. More players in Core, more chances for lag.

Level 5

One point about killcams, people like myself only watch them when they think wtf. When I played core I was watching them constantly. That's not my style, hitting x as fast as possible is something I've done since mw2.

It's not just the killcams though that make it obvious things are up and any grievances people have with this game run deeper than an annoying killcam if they've put any effort into researching what's going on. Instakills and people appearing out of nowhere to name a couple, now instakills in hc are also easier to take as it doesn't take long to die so there's something else that makes it more bearable.

Level 16

nicedrewishfela wrote:

So glad there are no killcams in HC. Frustrating enough that I die, I don't want to see it again lol

Killcams are misleading, and people shouldn't take them too seriously. The only things to take from them are the location of the enemy.

Killcams help lessen camper frustration for me. This is the big reason I stay away from HC.

Level 21

in reply to r8edtripx

Thats understood as well.

But they have really done a good job in HC giving you a sense of where the shot came from when you die. I pretty much always know exactly where I was killed from.

Activision Ambassador

Studios