OK I got a tough puzzle for you on TV resolution

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: OK I got a tough puzzle for you on TV resolution

in reply to starbuckfrack

Just this weekend, I found my 47" TVs true game mode.  (probably the same TV nicedrewishfela mentioned).  I had it set on game setting that was more for brightness, etc. and not the one needed.  Now when my family isn't hitting netflix and youtube hard, I am experiencing a lot less input lag.  There still always seems to be the one guy in the lobby that insta shots me, but I'm winning more gunfights that I would have lost previously.  When I went from a 35" 720 no game mode to 47" 1080 (not turning gamemode on properly), I noticed my K/D ratio went down also at that time, but I kept playing on the bigger TV anyway.  I haven't went back to retest this.

Level 25
Highlighted

So i did set my xbox to 720 lastnight. i am not going to say it is a placebo effect. But the game did play just that little bit smoother for me. I am not usually a player who struggles with k/d, but a guy who does see many WTF moments on a nightly basis. After the switch so far i was not having that issue. But then again i was only playing MW3 lastnight. My real test will be playing in Black ops 2 and seeing if there is any difference with insta death lag induced rage that made me not want to play it.

Level 38

So what will this mean about the X-Box One ? Are all Hi-Def screens bad for competitive gaming? Or is it all about your ISP?

Level 3

in reply to GoldenShower4U

Well my ISP has changed .....

Level 72

It's not that HD screens are bad, but many need game mode or something along those lines to reduce the input lag. But this specific problem I don't imagine would occur on the new consoles because I expect that most games will have a native resolution of 1080p, so putting it on 1080p shouldn't introduce the same issues of up scaling a 720p game (such as most current gen ones) to 1080p.

Level 18

I suspect alot of games will have native 1080P so no you won't have that issue if you screen is native 1080p BUT if your screen is native 720p and you send a 1080p image to it. the TV will then have to downscale while it may not be as much input lag as upscaling introduces it is still aditional proccessing. So no it will not get rid of the problem it will just turn it around the other way

Level 4

in reply to DROXX

Thats possible, I didn't account for the 720p TVs. Hopefully it won't be too bad for people next gen as far as downscaling and the process time it'll take

Level 18

No not all HD screens are bad for gaming. Most Large TVs (different than a monitor) will have more input lag then a Smaller screen one thing to help combat that on large screens is game mode or disabling certain features. No matter WHAT screen you are playing on you should match the Native resolution of the screen to your consoles settings (just cause it can accept and display a 1080p image does not make it a 1080p screen) One thing you can do to test Ghosting/Input lag (with input lag you tend to get some ghosting unless there is some sort of processing going into it to stop it) Go into a custom match set your sensitivity to 14 and spin as fast as you can. watch the hipfire crosshairs to see if they dupicate (they should not) what causes that is input lag and ghosting the pixels are not able to turn off quickly enough. (this use to work in black ops 1 havent had access to a TV with that bad of input lag issues it was on a 47in LCD)

Level 4

Without even realising, mine was already set at 720....Changed it to 1080 but honestly can't say I've noticed any difference.

Level 18

in reply to HighlandSparky

Yeah same as that. Then again I play on a small screen as standard, so maybe screen-lag isn't as harsh between 1080 and 720 on small screens? I struggle badly on big screens too, but then again I suppose given time to adjust to it I'd be fine. Sit far enough away and it may as well be a small screen

Level 31

Studios