TCP UDP and SpeedTest/PingTest

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: TCP UDP and SpeedTest/PingTest

in reply to trialstardragon

Ok, But let me ask you this.

Does it not help to give you a possible 'guide' to the quality of someone's Internet connection to know what their ping is capable of ?

For instance, if someone tells me that they regularly get a pintest.net result to their local (CLOSEST) server of over 100ms That would suggest to me that they had a lower quality network, or were more likely a hell of a distance from a local telephone exchange.  Also I would expect that this person should be experiencing more lag than someone who has a regular pingtest result of less than 15ms.

No ?

Of course I have no way of knowing the particulars of these 2 internet connections, but I would be willing to guess that the guy with 15ms ping is much better off than the guy with a ping over 100ms.  (ignoring lag comp of course)

Level 4

in reply to Fletch360

Yes, it gives a general idea of the quailty of the line but not an exact or accurate measurement of the quality on how the console works or uses it.

The console does not work exactly the same as the desktop or laptop which the test was ran. So LT or DT pings are not really going to be teh same as the console ping test results would be if there was a way to really test them on the console.

You are only getting a dt or lt overall line connection quailty result. And as another posted mentioned that is to a set place and location. where when playing the game the host is never in a set place or location all the time.

One game you may be matched to someone as the host in CA, the next game it may be in TX for the host while you live in CO. Which is why you never take your closest ping test and use that as a comparison for anything related to games.

Level 70

Yes. Most of us are fully aware of that.

I'm sure there are some that don't understand but you should allow that some people like to give you those numbers as a 'guide'. Simply because the real numbers are not available.

Level 4

in reply to Fletch360

BTW when I run a ping test from the PS3 I get around 70-90 on a good day while its 30-40 from the mac. Which gives you sme idea how crap the PSN probably is. Smiley Happy

Level 4

in reply to Fletch360

How do you run it from your console? I could never figure it out. No Adobe.

Despising cheaters since 1970
Activision Ambassador

in reply to bighead14701

ps3 is not the same as xbox you can do a lot of things on the ps3 that cannot be done on the xbox. You can even run apps like boinc on the ps3 but is not supported on the xbox.

Level 70

Okay. Thanks. I figured with the IE now available I could do it, but it obviously didn't work.

Despising cheaters since 1970
Activision Ambassador

in reply to bighead14701

Yep the IE on the xbox does not support java which is needed by most of those tests.

Level 70

in reply to Fletch360

Thank you for you proved my point on how the console connection is not the same as the dt or lt connection. Your console gets a clearly less than half as good as connection as the mac does. Which pretty much means anyone using pingtest needs to basically double the results on ping and jitter to have any indication as toward what they are maybe getting on the console and I stress the word maybe.

Level 70

Wrong, just because a device may download/upload half as fast as another on your network does not mean the ping/latency is half as fast. You clearly don't have a firm grasp on this networking stuff.

Level 7

Studios