What happened to strategic shooters.

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

What happened to strategic shooters.

Dont ask me what prompts me to write this, as I don't believe anyone from 3arch would read this or care if they had, but this is my opinion on what has happened with COD.  It used to be that the kids wanted to play what the older kids were playing.  Games like counterstrike, rainbow six, ghost recon, socom were more realistic and required people to use team strategies like cutting off choke points, flanking, higher elevation for greater vantage points, patience. We demanded realism. Now the older kids are even older with families, jobs, wives, kids, and dont have the time to invest to be good anymore.

Now its the young gotta have it now kids driving the market for these games and they dont want to work with a team to shut out opponents, or use any form of realistic strategy to win. They dont really even care if they win. It is the sole purpose of every teenager driving the market for these games to become famous making a montage and uploading 360 degree spinning quick scopes while falling off a ladder to youtube or twitchtv.  Thats the bottom line. All these kids do is try making montages and to come up with new cliche words like hardscoper and tryhard, or threaten to infiltrate your IP address when you beat them.

I always loved the rainbow series the most. I loved that the most played game mode was single death(like search) as it really got your adrenaline pumping. Now people die 25-45 times a round and think nothing of it.    Why- because it doesnt mean anything when you die, if you can come right back to life.  The kids dont care if they die, as long as theres still a chance they can scrape a couple quick scopes in a row together, so they can cut it out and make a montage. 

The end.

Level 34
14 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: What happened to strategic shooters.

in reply to CowboySr

Battlefield still requires some strategy.

I imagine RS: Patriots will have the same fanbase as older Rainbow Six games.

Mass Effect 3's MP was (for me and the people I played with) a pretty strategic game, and im looking forward to ME4's multiplayer aswell.

Pretty much only CoD has become a clusterf*ck, and the reason everyone gives is that "It's supposed to be an arcade shooter, so suck it lululzulz"

Level 11

in reply to CowboySr

It's like you said, the kids today for the most part don't appreciate having to think and work together.  So the games are made to accomodate this.  Us older guys, I'm afraid just aren't the demographic that the devs are looking for anymore.  Sure I'd love to play some of those older strategic games again but they just aren't out there anymore.  However, when us older guys do get together on these newer games, it can be a good bit of fun demolishing the younger crew by applying some old school strategy/teamwork on them.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

I dont like the feel of Battlefield, guy runs weird. COD to its credit has the best controls out of any FPS I've ever played.  

I do just fine running and gunning, and I'm forced to since most of my friends quit playing this due to the nonsense.  You are correct though, when we get a full group of an older crowd together, it gets ugly, but again, they cant play regularly.

Level 34

in reply to CowboySr

COD is and will always be a Run & Gun

if you want strategy go battlefield

Level 1

in reply to Mikeg520

COD was not always a run and gun.   Battlefield sucks.

Level 34

in reply to CowboySr

define older games lol, being 30 I still find time to get on every night cause after a stressful day at work and the office its nice to be able to shoot someone and not get arrested

Level 1

in reply to Hollow_is_Gully

LOL. Until you get quickscoped 10x in a match.   30 is the new 20.

Level 34

in reply to CowboySr

I am actually watching a previos thread I made today talking about the QS. I personally didn't get into FPS until about halo 2. and really got into cod at mw3 and only really played BF3. I was a RPG guy with some adventure games as well. I like the action of FPS and I am hooked I played CS xbox demo and cried at how terrible the gameplay is now (reffering to features not focus on teamwork) I agree with the notion of making a realistic shooter. I have always been a team player. if you don't beleive me ask my buddy, I had sex with his GF's fat friend

Level 1

in reply to Hollow_is_Gully

So if we wanted to keep this discussion COD related, you could say that for your buddy's sake, you jumped on the grenade?

Level 34

Studios