Why nerf weapons?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Why nerf weapons?

Hey guys and gals, I just never understood the reason to nerf weapons. My understanding has always been that if you feel it is a good gun, well you have the ability to use it. It seems like everytime they nerf a weapon it becomes unplayable. I think that they have over nerfed many guns that were pretty balanced weapons, but people felt that it was OP because it was a common weapon. I am not a common user of the MSMC, however now that the SMGs are the last class I have to get diamond, I have been forced to use it. I must say that it was a night a day difference using that weapon and a few other SMGs. Out of no where the gun's kick is extreamly unpredictable and almost impossible for accurate headshots. I have received more headshots shooting from the hip then aiming in. That is a very good sign of something very wrong, a issue that has been very new might I add.

Level 4
16 REPLIES

Re: Why nerf weapons?

in reply to devidog_kyle

It's called balancing. If there is one gun that completely outclasses all the other then what is the point in really having the other guns as an option if people won't use them because they suck.

Level 43

in reply to Rednecksniper39

I would hardly call half the nerfs performed "balancing" it's kinda weird when almost half the weapons have been nerfed in this game, weird... I haven't seen only one gun used in this game, just a bunch of people who want to justify their death to an OP weapon, im looking in your direction Rednecksniper

Level 4

in reply to devidog_kyle

I'm sure he will get over it. You think its weird that you havent seen only one gun? And there you defeat your own thread, the reason for that is the weapon balancing. All of the guns have similar performance, therefore there is a reason to use all of the guns. Its not hard to figure out why everyone used the ACR and MP7 in MW3, the FAMAS in BO1, because those guns were overpowered and greatly outperformed all of the other weapons. They were never nerfed (well the FAMAS was but very late in the game and it didn't affect it) thus there was no reason to use other guns.

Level 25

in reply to NoLifeKing29

How did the lack of my seeing a one gun useage before the nerf disprove my statement?

Level 4

in reply to NoLifeKing29

I couldn't stand the Famas even in HC, ak47 was my beast.

Level 27

in reply to Restore_Hardcore

Galil was a monster as well...

Level 23

in reply to devidog_kyle

I'm not one who complains about OP weapons or anything like that. You are more then welcome to look through my post. However, weapon buffs and nerfs are key to keeping the game balanced.

Level 43

in reply to devidog_kyle

As you said in another thread devidog_kyle, both MW3 and Black Ops 2 have terrible weapon diversity in which I am going to agree on.

The idea of nerfing weapons can be to improve weapon diversity, to balance out what players use.

When BO2 launched, SMG's did rule the game meaning that most players were using SMG's over the other weapon classes. According to my Elite stats, just over 50% of my deaths is against a player using a SMG which is well...pretty substancial in comparison to the other weapon classes.

Vahn has the weapon data available to make these changes and he won't just nerf weapons, he'll buff the underused weapons.

After the weapon tweaks, I see a number of Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun & LMG users therefore there is some improvement in weapon diversity.

Level 51

in reply to devidog_kyle

Its the small clustered maps fault. If the on-disc maps had less close combat then the devs wouldn't nerf the smgs.

Level 24

Studios