Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

in reply to waxon81

waxon81 wrote:

I had to laugh, it was only the other day a poster was inquiring about taking legal action against the developers.  The trouble is, people take things far too seriously, forgetting it is after all.... A game.

Sadly we also live in the age of the troll, an age where those who have nothing to say or offer of any use, desperately seek notoriety through the only thing they can do.... Destroy what others love and enjoy

Yeah, what this dude said!

I'm pretty sure this is not the first time this has happened, this stems all way back to the WAW days and the Tanks in HC as well as the MP-40.  Poor JD_2020 probably still has the shakes from all of this.

Level 48

Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

in reply to Ghamorra

ghamorra wrote:

I call upon all the forum members (including myself) to start taking more care with their posts, and continue to be a good leaders. It can be hard sometimes, but it's the forum vets responsibility lead by example.

I understand where you're coming from here, and like TBD I agree. But as you note in your post, most of the extremely vitriolic posts are from either trolls or one-and-done posters.

Their object isn't to treat the message boards like a "normal" poster would, so I think it becomes very difficult or even impossible to influence the way they act. I don't think I can remember reading a post by a forum regular that trends even slightly towards what Activision is talking about regarding the threats.

That being said, I think there are plenty of examples where even regular posters are too quick to anger, or jump all over people for certain things (I know I've done this). A little more civility certainly couldn't hurt.

My rule of thumb is usually: If I'm angry enough that I would put down the controller and walk away from the game, I shouldn't post on the forums either

Level 7

in reply to Ghamorra

Thanks for posting this G (as my Children and COD thread was locked) and this is what I was attempting to understand in it.

HATE.

Why are gamers allowing themselves to fall victim to their basic emotions and insult, threaten and look like immature brats!

What is it? I created a post this week about how serious we take this game? This article and your thread are all intertwined with what I've been writing about.

Shame that CODs growth is simultaneously going to be its fall as well.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

I think growth is part of it. But I also think Activision themselves are also responsible. They have been slowly targeting younger and younger players for the last couple years. If you try to attract a younger crowd, you are going to get immature feedback. Particularly in this age of Twatter , and Facebook and whatever.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to gotsomestars

gotsomestars wrote:

I think growth is part of it. But I also think Activision themselves are also responsible. They have been slowly targeting younger and younger players for the last couple years. If you try to attract a younger crowd, you are going to get immature feedback. Particularly in this age of Twatter , and Facebook and whatever.

I didn't want to be the one that said it, but I agree 100% that Activision has done a lot to tarnish their name by reaching out to the same players who they regarded to in their statement.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

ghamorra wrote:

gotsomestars wrote:

I didn't want to be the one that said it, but I agree 100% that Activision has done a lot to tarnish their name by reaching out to the same players who they regarded to in their statement.

Yes as gotsome mentions in their attempt to grow they are reaching and selling this game to a more younger crowd whom really should not play this game online!

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

Its the immature brat element and mentality which is " I want it and i want it now, i don't want to have have to do anything for it, i just want it" that seems to be swarming over the forum like a virus.

I long for the good days when we used to come on here to talk about the games, good points and bad and have a laugh about it.

Now most of what we seem to get is thread after mindless thread posted by crying little tweenies and squeekers who think that just because mommy and daddy bought them the game they should have every little whim catered for.

The more time i spend reading some of the threads the more i shake my head and despair for the future of the human race..

Level 67

in reply to gambit1969

Right on. This is from the IGN article:

As Amrich explains, “One of [Vonderhaar]’s many responsibilities is to keep the game as balanced as possible,” yet when he does make these changes, he “often gets told he should die in a fire or kill himself or is a horrible person. If anyone thinks for a second that this is okay, it is not.”

Yes, over a VIDEO GAME. People are actually saying this crap. It's one thing to disagree with a developers choice in a game and a completely different one to wish they died in a fire or that they killed themselves.......this world is REAL sick folks.

Level 48

in reply to ZvErS

Its hard to believe that its all over a game..

The general mentality/maturity level has been going downhill since MW3, maybe even back as far as BO1.

Just when i think it can't reach any lower i am proven wrong again and again.

What ever happened to having a thoughtful and intelligent discussion??

The majority of what we see now is that the game does not play or you dont play it the way i want you to play it so its broken and you are stupid/wrong......you know how it goes..

Level 67

in reply to Ghamorra

it goes both ways though.

when you cater your games to lil kids , you should expect these child like reactions.

nobody told them to build this game so lil kids can play it.

its their fault we  as a community got to deal with this kids who cry nerf, or, boost and now emblem crap.

Level 27

Studios