Prestige…a brief history of what it meant to be max Prestiged

Call of Duty Black Ops II Playstation 3

Re: Prestige…a brief history of what it meant to be max Prestiged

Why do people try so hard to get gold or diamond guns, they don't shoot any better! 

Level 22

in reply to BlackhawkbillOO7

When I got the navy cross in MW, I was happy, excited, and relieved.  It was my first console game (was a PC gamer before with Doom/Quake/etc).  I sucked badly during the first few prestiges in an effort to learn the new controller and figure out how to adjust to the new arena.  When I was in lobbies and I saw max level players in those days, it was pretty much fact that they were better than average players - until late in the game's cycle anyway.

Now, after going through the years, prestige is basically just a relief to me as I see it as a completion of my effort.  I see max level players now and they are just a dime a dozen for whatever reason.  I think the games are dumbed down a bit and have made it too easy to reach max level.  Thus, very little separation in player level based upon prestige rank.  Make the prestiges harder, and they would be worth something.  Sadly, today, they are not.

Level 16

in reply to WhyNoName

Just as meaningless back than as it is right now. Im surprised they dont charge you to be gain access to the final prestige.

Level 10

Prestiging in COD used to mean you were good, feared and sometimes respected. now anyone Max prestige has no life, sucks and is a hacker.

Level 12
Highlighted

in reply to InstantOG

Sorry, but your view is very narrow:

I just hit PM

I play no more than 1 hour/day on weekdays if I play at all... and a few hours at a time on weekends

I did it in 8 Days (not stellar, but I know how to maximize points)

I did it legit.

Your theory is very flawed, and debunked.

Activision Ambassador

rlbl,

I believe what InstantOG was saying was what I have been discussing and that is that to Prestige and reach the maximum Prestige level actually used to mean something. Not just to one's self but to the players that used to populate the game lobbies. There was indeed a time when a party of Gold Crosses would enter a lobby and other teams were intimidated and left.

What I believe he was saying about how "anyone Max prestige has no life, sucks and is a hacker" was in reference to the current perception of PM based on the number of glitchers and the way people act in the lobbies when a PM enters it.

InstantOG please correct me if I am wrong.

Level 12

No, it means just as little back than as it does now, if anything it means alittle more now, because they are doing a better job at combating the hackers.

Level 10

OK first of all, prestige has only ever been a measure of time spent playing. But time spent playing translates to experience, and experience boosts skill.

Of course, all that time spent playing will more than likely have furnished the player with consideralble skill as well or at least with map knowledge.

This doesnt mean that a n00b can't beat a PM because there will always be very talented beginners and very bad experienced players.

I don't get this thread acting all misty eyed for the prestiges of yore because it is just the same. They just added a few extra perks for doing so as the feature has developed.

Maybe the first one felt more special because you were younger and it was the first time anything like this was offered in a video game?

Level 12

in reply to SpoonsV1

SpoonsV wrote:

I don't get this thread acting all misty eyed for the prestiges of yore because it is just the same. They just added a few extra perks for doing so as the feature has developed.

I don't know how long you've been playing Call of Duty but I will have to assume that either you didn't Prestige or play COD 4 Modern Warfare. The reason being is had you have played that game you might understand the differences between Prestige then and now. Back then you didn't get any Perks or Tokens. It was a reset of all challenges and levels. The only thing that didn't reset were your stats. It was a real grind not like how it is today. Today, all you have to is really just play. There is no real sacrifice or challenge.

There actually was a time that when 4 or 5 Gold Crosses entered a lobby and people would just back out because they knew that these guy's were hardcore gamers not the 10 year old glitchers of today.

Whether or not you care or don't care about stats or Prestige, my point in this discussion was to highlight that there is a big difference from how it used to be perceived and how it is currently. 

Level 12

Haha, you must have been living in a dream world, People were backing out because they were most likely hackers. Prestiges mean more now then back then, hands down.

Level 10

Studios