Winter's Howl - Weak?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Zombies

Winter's Howl - Weak?

Is this wonder weapon any good? Just had my first play through with it on Verruckt and I'm kind of disappointed. Unless my technique was off, it doesn't seem like a very powerful weapon.

To be fair, I didn't get it til round 18 but firing 3 shots into a hoard at this stage was only killing about half/two thirds  of the zombies. Went back to ray gun for effectiveness and tried again at 25. 4/5 shots would only kill about one third of a hoard. Tried it on one zombie and it took 5 shots to kill one zombie. Is there a certain technique to this weapon (firing a clip quickly, staggering/timing your shots) or is it just not very powerful until you pack-a-punch it.

Level 9
26 REPLIES

Re: Winter's Howl - Weak?

in reply to Davelo07

I used to think that aswell, until I got it on 'five' when in the pap room and the door opens if you fire the WH, 3-4 shots will absolutely destroy the hoard. So if you train them in a nice tight hoard, it can be quite effective. Personally though I think it's pretty pish compared to other WW's, plus it looks shit and the ammo capacity is crappy. Probably my least favourite...bar the jetgun.

Level 13

in reply to Mr_Spaceman

Yeah, I was excited about using the Winter's Howl, just found it a bit of a let down. Given the ammo and power, it is nowhere near as useful as the ray gun.  I agree about technique, I was mainly hitting the zombies at the front. But for me, it was so weak after 25 that I was opting for the RPK. What round was 3-4 shots killing a hoard?

Level 9

in reply to Davelo07

Pretty sure it was in the 20's mate, I may have been using the winters fury though tbh, I can't quite remember. My highest round on five is only 27, and only 18 on Verrukt so not too sure how powerful it would be in the 30's. Do you play Verrukt often? Love that map but can never find decent people to play with..

Level 13

in reply to Mr_Spaceman

I may have been using the winters fury though tbh

That's what I'm wondering, if it's useless past 25 unless pack-a-punched. Haven't used the fury yet, so maybe it improves quite a bit when you pack it.

Verruckt is an awesome map. Only got BO1 recently, so play all the waw maps on a regular basis and trying to get into the BO1 maps (shangri-la and moon never seeem to have good lobbies). Always good for a game, I'm on xbox but don't have a mic at the mo. 4 player Verruckt there is a pretty decent camping strategy that's quite easy to use til mid 20's if you ever wanna try it.

Level 9

in reply to Davelo07

Would that be the camping strategy in the MP40 corridor? Keeping the door to the STG closed? I only really get time for z's at the weekend these days cause games usually take so long. I am mic-less just now aswell cause I stood on it the other week. You can add me if you like though, my Xbox gt is ArabSpaceman, not one to bam off but I'm a decent player and NEVER leave a man down! I'm Scottish also so I'm on UK time zone.

Level 13

in reply to Mr_Spaceman

Yeah that's the one. Just hold down that area and if you get overrun, use the trap. UK also so times shouldn't be a problem. I'll add you and then if you're on at the weekend or whenever, we can try and get a decent game on the go. That's what I love about the WAW maps, don't have to give up a whole evening to have a decent game.

Level 9

in reply to Davelo07

It is not the gun but the user, not about how the gun performs but how do you actually use it?

I would shoot it then switch guns for kills as they freeze to conserve ammo rather then just plain spraying,

paralizer is a good example, that gun gets no kills but can be used very effective in high round strategy, shoot and trap or shoot and get your team to kill.

Level 26

in reply to boybad3

Yeah, it's a fair point. It was a thought I'd had but to be honest, I think that would work better with team mates, this was a solo run. I decided to use it as my path clearer. Always had the Winter's Howl equipped when running, then switched to ray gun for kills. Luckily, ammo never really became an issue.

This was my first time using the weapon, so it was just trial and error really. With team mates, freeze and kill would probably be quite effective. Am I using the weapon correctly though? In terms of kills, what round should it be effective to and how many shots per hoard? I just expected a bit more power from the weapon, paralyzer is a good comparison and that is disappointing.

Level 9

in reply to Davelo07

Am I using the weapon correctly though?

I can not answer that, you have to be comfortable when using it lol comes down to personal preference.

I dont think using it as path clearance will be very effective or safe in high rounds, as you noticed it doesn't do much damage, what it does is freeze slowing them down so strategy needs to be formed around those factors. There is a lot of grate guns people underestimate because they dont know how to use them effectively or simply dislike them, DSR, War Machine just to name a few.

Level 26

Studios