BOPS - MW2 -- DSL Connection Comparison

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

So, back at the inlaws, .44d-.55u DSL Connection

Black Ops - unplayable 2k-15d gun game everyone is visually lagging - 1 red bar

MW2 - playable no visiable lag ( except when I went to load the forums ) - 3 Green Bars !! ( woo hoo )
Level 6
21 REPLIES

Re: BOPS - MW2 -- DSL Connection Comparison

in reply to kainon

Kainon wrote:

So, back at the inlaws, .44d-.55u DSL Connection

Black Ops - unplayable 2k-15d gun game everyone is visually lagging - 1 red bar

MW2 - playable no visiable lag ( except when I went to load the forums ) - 3 Green Bars !! ( woo hoo )

OP... please note the bold part above. Those 13 letters say it all.
That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to kainon
My DSL connection plays exactly the same as my fibre optic connection, sometimes alot better due to one ISP throttling bandwidth at certain times.

They both ping to EU within 10ms of eachother, and both ping to US within about 20ms of eachother. The amount of bandwidth needed for xbox is tiny, and the amount that gets added to your ping is stupid anyway.

But for people who have a less than decent DSL connection - that's what lag compensation is for
Level 24

in reply to kainon
I'm aware of the issues with DSL, not that many people use the search function, I figured I would post my findings.

I was a little suprised at how well MW2 played on the same connection though.
Level 6

in reply to kainon
The reaosn mw2 plays better is because not as many people play it as they do blops. mw2 was the exact same this time last year, i really don't get why people have simply forgotten that......
Level 32

in reply to kainon

dstr001 wrote:

The reaosn mw2 plays better is because not as many people play it as they do blops. mw2 was the exact same this time last year, i really don't get why people have simply forgotten that......

Because for some of us, no game has ever had the issues that Black Ops has. MW2 played perfectly for me within a week of release, played perfectly 12 months ago, played perfectly 6 months ago, and still plays perfectly now. Black Ops didn't play perfectly within a week of release, didn't play perfectly 3 months ago, and still doesn't play perfectly now.

As for your theory about less people playing - less people means less chance of finding a local host and local players, which means LESS chance of finding a good game.
Level 24

in reply to kainon
".44d-.55u DSL Connection"

Oh god.

I'm sorry.
Level 44

in reply to kainon
Here's mine (don't laugh too much)

0.70D and 0.35UP

Black Op's - mostly 4 bar, sometimes 3 and after tweaking the router games plays well on the whole.

MW2 - mostly 4 bar sometimes 3 without touching the router and the game also plays well for the most part.

Here's the important bit that you left out OP

Ping 44ms to a server approx 200 miles

Believe it or not, but I have plenty of bandwidth for gaming, it's the ping that's important.
Level 34

in reply to kainon
You guys are making me feel really good about my connection.

35+ down with 3.5 up and I can pull a 200 mile ping in the low 20's all the time.
Level 44

in reply to kainon
I have DSL!! Well, ADSL. I have 12 MB down, 890 KB up. It works just fine for me a majority of the time. With a house and possibly a little on the way, how am I going to crunch cash to get more INTERWEBZ??!!

Guess, I need a better job?
Level 28

Studios