Could the Central Powers have won WW1?

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Could the Central Powers have won WW1?

Well I was watching the military channel one day, and was surprised to see a show that wasn't about WW2 - but WW1! It highlighted the defeat of Russia and the treaty of Brest-Litovsk. It got me thinking that perhaps there may have been a chance for the Central Powers to pull off a victory.

So instead of asking an intelligent person, or googling for an answer, I will ask you clowns what you make of it! Do you think the Central Powers could have won? And if they did win, how would the rest of history be affected?
Level 53
47 REPLIES

Re: Could the Central Powers have won WW1?

in reply to -pictureframe-
Ha, yeah right. The Ottoman Empire was coming into shambles, they refused to progress in society as other had due to their leaders emphasizing religion. And Austria-Hungary? They were losing their morale.

But if they did win...the world "might" have been a better place.

The result would not necessarily have been the world descending into Teutonic darkness as one might immediately assume. Germany before the war was well underway in the process of developing into a modern (social)democracy, and in case of a quick German victory my best bid is that Germany continues this development. WWII, nazis etc. as we know them certainly wouldn't have been possible.
Level 67

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

Ha, yeah right. The Ottoman Empire was coming into shambles, they refused to progress in society as other had due to their leaders emphasizing religion. And Austria-Hungary? They were losing their morale.

Yes, the Ottoman Empire was significantly underdeveloped compared to other countries at the time, but I know for a fact that everyone had lost their morale by 1918. Morale can't do much against machine guns and artillery anyways.
Level 53

-PictureFrame- wrote:

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

Yes, the Ottoman Empire was significantly underdeveloped compared to other countries at the time, but I know for a fact that everyone had lost their morale by 1918. Morale can't do much against machine guns and artillery anyways.

The Americans were "fresher" (if that seems grammtatical correct) than the other nations. That's why we won. (No, there were plenty of reasons really, but I'll go with that one)
Level 67

Ahh yes, the Americans. There are two reasons why I think Germany still could have won, the first being the vast food and supplies in territories given up by Russia, and the second being the Spring Offensive, which got the Central Powers very close to the French Capital again (before American troops could arrive in sufficient numbers).

But alas, the Offensive failed and American troops joined the Allies against Germany.
Level 53

Yes, the Central Powers could have won but not as quickly as the Schlieffen Plan, like the Spring Offensive, fantasized.
Level 67

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

-PictureFrame- wrote:

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

The Americans were "fresher" (if that seems grammtatical correct) than the other nations. That's why we won. (No, there were plenty of reasons really, but I'll go with that one)

Haha America won WW1 !? Do you know when America joined into WW1 -> April 6th, 1917. The Americans didn´t do that much for to win WW1, they only threw in a lot of human beings, and Germany wasn´t able to refill their army with fresh people. So if there wouldn´t have been the human superiority as America joined, the war would have gone for ages with no side winning at all.

Just a side not. You guys know that "The 1919 Treaty of Versailles" is rersponsible for Nazi Germany...

In signing the treaty, Germany acknowledged responsibility for the war, agreeing to pay enormous war reparations and award territory to the victors. The "Guilt Thesis" became a controversial explanation of later events among analysts in Britain and the United States. The Treaty of Versailles caused enormous bitterness in Germany, which nationalist movements, especially the Nazis, exploited with a conspiracy theory they called the Dolchstosslegende (Stab-in-the-back legend). The Weimar Republic lost the former colonial possessions and was saddled with accepting blame for the war, as well as paying punitive reparations for it. Unable to pay them with exports (a result of territorial losses and postwar recession), Germany did so by borrowing from the United States. Runaway inflation in the 1920s contributed to the economic collapse of the Weimar Republic and the reparations were suspended in 1931 following the Stock Market Crash in 1929 and the beginnings of the Great Depression worldwide.

Level 75

Do you think that Germany would have treated the Allies as unfairly as The Treaty of Versailles, if they had won?
Level 53

If the United States hadn't entered the war, the Central Powers would have had a great opportunity to win the war following the Brest-Litovsk treaty. Even with the U.S. in the war, the Germans were able to transfer most of their soldiers from the eastern to western fronts. But, it was too little and too late, as the fresh American doughboys helped to turn the tide and keep it turned.

I can only imagine what could have happened had the Germans won WW1, maybe the holocaust wouldn't have happened.
Level 19

-PictureFrame- wrote:

Do you think that Germany would have treated the Allies as unfairly as The Treaty of Versailles, if they had won?

Be sure about they would have done the same mistakes like the Allied forces did. But Nazi Germany would have never been.
Level 75

Studios