Theater - and when it doesn't record games

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Re: Theater - and when it doesn't record games

I always thought Theater is one of the features TA perfected. I rarely get games that aren't recorded, but did anyone knowthat you can't watch any video from DLC maps if you don't have it downloaded?

I found that out the hard way....
Level 47

Platinumb wrote:

I always thought Theater is one of the features TA perfected. I rarely get games that aren't recorded, but did anyone knowthat you can't watch any video from DLC maps if you don't have it downloaded?

That's because it doesn't record it, it kinda recreates the game from the host's POV. Same in Halo's.
Level 36

Its a shame when it goes wrong, but I'd rather have it in its current incarnation than not at all!

Theater does NOT like Ground War though
Level 22

Brandaman wrote:

Platinumb wrote:

That's because it doesn't record it, it kinda recreates the game from the host's POV. Same in Halo's.

Except that the latter does it better - by far.
Level 20

Brandaman wrote:

Platinumb wrote:

I just find it kinda lame to not let you watch your own videos that you did because you deleted the DLC.
Level 47

I had a game not record last night, a TDM on Launch. I was actually host too. At the very least, it would be nice if instead of "dropping" the recording, it simply saved what it had recorded so that we can go back and pull clips from that, instead of losing everything about that match.
Level 35

Theater actually runs the game engine and loads the map to play back clips or games. So, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that it actually won't work if you no longer have the map installed that the clip was made on.

It's not actually video and never has been. It doesn't get converted to video until you Render Clip.

Black Ops doesn't have an in-game video playback mechanism, never has and never will.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
Level 8

It comes with the downside that you are not recording your own games. The host is. If the host can't handle it in a public game (runs out of bandwidth, etc) we drop the recording so as to not compromise the game experience.

I think that's fair enough though as you implementing ways to reduce delay lag & frame rate issues with the game.

But what I've noticed recently is that when players start leaving & joining the session, there's sudden lag spike & connection interruptions during the session.
Level 51
Highlighted

vims1990 wrote:

It comes with the downside that you are not recording your own games. The host is. If the host can't handle it in a public game (runs out of bandwidth, etc) we drop the recording so as to not compromise the game experience.

I think that's fair enough though as you implementing ways to reduce delay lag & frame rate issues with the game.

But what I've noticed recently is that when players start leaving & joining the session, there's sudden lag spike & connection interruptions during the session.

You're not the only one, happens quite a lot if you roll with a good team and your pasting the enemy.
Level 8

Vahn wrote:

Theater actually runs the game engine and loads the map to play back clips or games. So, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that it actually won't work if you no longer have the map installed that the clip was made on.

I think I might be going out on a limb here, but it might be due to the fact we didn't develop the game, and thus, don't actually understand how theater works? Who knows, I may be way off

Regardless, do you guys have any ideas on how to further improve Theater Mode for your future Call of Duty installments?

Level 30

Studios