Understanding the First Strike Playlist Rotation

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Understanding the First Strike Playlist Rotation

Hi,

I am getting some good questions on the topic of how the playlists work with First Strike. It is frankly too long to explain well in 140 characters on Twitter.

If you own First Strike you will be joined in a Lobby with others who own First-Strike (or start one). The DLC maps are set at priority slightly above the non First Strike maps. This means they will come up in rotation more frequently. Use your ability to map vote for, or against, any map. If you have First Strike, you will see a secondary tab in your Choose Map screen during Private Matches, Combat Training, System Link and related areas of the game where you can explicitly pick which map to play.

If you don't own First Strike, you will be joined in a Lobby with others who don't own First Strike (or start one). In this regard, it's similar to Modern Warfare 2.

We try not to kick you out of a lobby if you don't have First Strike, but some exceptions are unavoidable. For example, If you join on a Friend who is playing in a non First Strike map, but who owns First Strike, when the game ends and you return to the lobby you will be kicked if the lobby votes for a First Strike map.

If you are playing in a Party with folks who don't have DLC, we will tell you. You can then play as though you don't have it. Alternatively, you remove players from your party who don't have it as you've been able to do in the past.

We have the option of a First Strike only playlist, which you won't be able to join if you don't have First Strike. We have not yet exercised this option, but are considering adding it on Friday at the start of Double XP weekend based on feedback from the community over the next 48 or 72 hours or so. I am preparing as though we will do a First Strike moshpit on Friday when Double XP starts. It's currently getting translated into the many languages the game supports. It's easy to remove (or keep) depending on feedback.

First Strike comes out "around" 2:00am PST on Feb 1.

I say "around" because it takes time to get it out to all the content/cache servers. I can't give you a specific time because it really depends on Microsoft and how fast they cache and populate the download servers. It's not coming any earlier, or later, for any other time zones. Google "time zone conversion" and convert the above to your local time zone.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
Level 8
165 REPLIES

Re: Understanding the First Strike Playlist Rotation

please sticky this, and put the release time as well as people still don't know

Moderator Edit:

The maps are scheduled to be available approximately at 2:00 AM PST. To find a time relevant to where you live hit the link:

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=2&day=1&year=2011&hour=2&min=0&sec=0&p1=137

Level 9

I'll see you all on the battlefield at the time of 2:01 AM PST Smiley Tongue

Will there be a stand alone Playlist JUST for the DLC Maps ??

Edit: Never mind did not read all the way down Smiley Tongue
Level 11

Outstanding!

Good to know that parties won't be broken up.

Thanks Vahn, or Wiggy, or whoever you are. :wink:
Level 75

Nice one Vahn.

Yes please to the map pack only playlist
Level 9

II F0XH0UND II wrote:

Dang it!! I'll be asleep. I'll be on around 3:30 pm PST!!! Kind of excited...
Level 28

Mosh pit please and you might as well throw in an HC and TDM playlist as well; otherwise, you will have to put up with the cries of that breed.

Thanks for the update and good to see you back on the forums.

BTW, for those of you that would like the DLC earlier then what is stated above or at least before all of your friends have it, check out this thread:

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/100417166
Level 48

Thanks Vahn!

Please, if possible or within reason, provide specific match types for us Objective players out here.

One 'pool' option for Objective gets irritating quickly.

In the last, oh, I dunno, three CODs, having to play mixed Objective when the DLC releases, usually results in the team bailing on the DLC lists entirely and going back to pure Headquarters until everything hits full rotation.

Not saying it's horrible, but wanted to let you know what I, and likely many others, would find extremely nice.

On further thought, I suppose having this good Map Vote option in Black Ops will provide for more frequent Headquarters selection.

Considering I tend to bring 5 votes with me more often than not.

Thanks again team @ Treyarch!
Level 24

II F0XH0UND II wrote:

You must have fast interwebs.
Level 25

Studios