Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life

Call of Duty Black Ops forum

Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life

in reply to deadoperator

Interweb wrote:

You are firing digital representations of guns that are nothing like their real life counterparts. They have stats and numbers assigned to them for purposes of game balance. The developers of this game decided that quickscoping was stupid, but regenerating heath was not, despite both being unrealistic. This is a video game, for your entertainment only.

You use the phrase game balance, but do you really think snipers are close to being balanced with assault rifles or lmg's or smg's?
Level 10

in reply to deadoperator
OP: thanks captain obvious
Level 22

in reply to deadoperator

Temzilla wrote:

You use the phrase game balance, but do you really think snipers are close to being balanced with assault rifles or lmg's or smg's?

Presently? No. I think snipers should have less sway, and that there should be bullet travel time. This would encourage people to keep moving when under sniper fire, and would make snipers more powerful at 50-100 yard ranges while keeping them balanced at long ranges. That is my option, based entirely on game balance. Adding quickscoping would not make them balanced, just gimmicky.
Level 1

in reply to deadoperator

Interweb wrote:

Temzilla wrote:

Presently? No. I think snipers should have less sway, and that there should be bullet travel time. This would encourage people to keep moving when under sniper fire, and would make snipers more powerful at 50-100 yard ranges while keeping them balanced at long ranges. That is my option, based entirely on game balance. Adding quickscoping would not make them balanced, just gimmicky.

Bullet Travel Time would make sniping harder than it is now.

Actually it would make it pretty useless :/
Level 10
Highlighted

in reply to deadoperator

Temzilla wrote:

Bullet Travel Time would make sniping harder than it is now.

Actually it would make it pretty useless :/

Only at very far ranges. Look at Bad Company 2, they did sniping great. That game had bullet travel time and drop, but because of the pacing of the game, it was both challenging and effective. If you add bullet travel time to snipers in Blops, it would encourage people to sniper closer so it's easier, and by reducing sway (and reducing it even further with scout) it would really increase effectiveness at a long, but not cross map, range. You would be putting snipers in a position where there are better at the long ranges where the other guns start to drop off, but discourage people from just sitting at the far corner of the map the whole round.
Level 1

in reply to deadoperator

Interweb wrote:

Only at very far ranges. Look at Bad Company 2, they did sniping great. That game had bullet travel time and drop, but because of the pacing of the game, it was both challenging and effective. If you add bullet travel time to snipers in Blops, it would encourage people to sniper closer so it's easier, and by reducing sway (and reducing it even further with scout) it would really increase effectiveness at a long, but not cross map, range. You would be putting snipers in a position where there are better at the long ranges where the other guns start to drop off, but discourage people from just sitting at the far corner of the map the whole round.

Point is, there is no place for bullet drop or travel time in Call of Duty.
Level 10

in reply to deadoperator
I can't believe someone made a thread like this. Call of Duty is NOT real life, its a video game. We play to have fun. We do not care one bit if you can quickscope in real life or not.
Level 1

in reply to deadoperator

Temzilla wrote:

Interweb wrote:

Point is, there is no place for bullet drop or travel time in Call of Duty.

I think right now there is no nice fitting place for snipers in Blops. They aren't good enough to use them over an FAL, G11, or M14. I'm just brainstorming how to fix this. I think the best way would be to show them as designated 100 yard-ish weapons, which adds, lets say, a .1 - .2 second travel time. Not much worse then what lag is, and at a fair range. I could lead a target for a .2 travel time, that's easy. If someone is sniping all the way at the back of the map, assuming 400 yards, let's say we add a full second, so nearly impossible to hit a moving target. So it encourages people to snipe at reasonable ranges, but without nerfing them entirely.

How else can we make snipers better? Well, we could remove them entirely, and replace them with DMRs (Designated Marksmen Rifles) like the aforementioned single shot and burst fire assault rifles with optional rifle scopes. Or maybe you have a better suggestion?
Level 1

in reply to deadoperator
Why were you arguments for realism so...... unrealistic?

Ok, fine, you can have absolute reaslism for snipers, and with that, I want EVERY no-scope to shoot at the exact centre of my screen. Deal?

(BTW, snipers can't compete in this game, if you think otherwise, you're on crack)
Level 12

in reply to deadoperator

Interweb wrote:

Temzilla wrote:

Quickscoping is a tool for staying alive in close range confrontations. It does not abuse aim assist, it takes a good amount of skill, and it is in no way unbalanced.

inb4 shotguns vs sniper

inb4 damage at close range should be 30
Level 16

Studios