Did you mean: 

PC Online Security, Matchmaking and Server Intel

By BlackOpsNews on September 28, 2012
BlackOpsNews
Level 19
‎09-28-2012 04:07 PM
‎09-28-2012 04:07 PM

What anti-cheat will be used?

Anti-cheat is a top priority for Call of Duty®: Black Ops II. We have developed our own proprietary server-side anti-cheat technology which will work alongside VAC to deliver the most advanced detection and banning capabilities of any Call of Duty game to date. We have also improved our player reporting system to make it the most effective way that you can help us catch cheaters. And starting on launch day we will have a full-time dedicated pc anti-cheat team focused solely on detecting and banning cheaters. We have a zero tolerance policy on cheating. Cheaters bans are permanent.

Will Black Ops have Matchmaking or Dedicated Servers?

Both! Call of Duty®: Black Ops II PC combines matchmaking with secure ranked dedicated servers. This means that you get into Public Matches or League Play via matchmaking lobbies. It is easy to party up and play with your friends. You can adjust your classes or scorestreaks between matches. It also means that every Public or League match is hosted on a dedicated server running in one of our high bandwidth datacenters around the globe.

Will you release the server files?

No. We are keeping the server files secure to protect the game from hacking and cheating and ensure the ranking and progression system integrity.

Can I rent a server?

No. We are providing a huge number of servers around the world at no extra charge – plenty for everyone to enjoy. And we will administer the servers.

Will there be mod tools?

No.  As we continually improve and advance our in-house tools for our own content teams we are unable to provide consumer tools due to increased technical requirements, licensing restrictions, and technology dependencies.

337 Comments
matuzz
Level 63

No server renting/server files....

C'mon 3arc

Hozza1
Level 2

What a shame I have to join the ranks on ex-cod player, thanks 3arc PC pre-order cancelled

FRaGOuch
Level 2

Say goodbye to the PC community. You just sounded the death nell.  Pre-order cancelled.

cprl_rst
Level 3

Not sure if i like the sound of not being able to rent and admin my own server. But i guess it's a hugh step up from the lagfest that is IWnet

Ugh... Not much of a PC player myself, but this is just a mess.  This seems worse than what IW gave to PC players with MW2.  I don't believe that the community can't handle the same game engine that's been used since CoD2 concerning mod-tools.  Also, without the ability to rent dedicated servers, that means there's no more clan servers or probably servers with "Nuketown 24/7".

This is quite a bummer for PC players, Treyarch/Activision.

cprl_rst
Level 3

indeed i don't see how it's worse than MW3 tho surely it better as they are doing indpendant anticheat reporting and its dedicated servers not p2p so this is not ideal but is better than mw2,mw3 but not better than Black Ops setup

bobcatgaming
Level 1

All i can say is this is getting cancelled, thanks for letting us all down again

optyk
Level 2

This is awesome. I couldn't stand the server admins in Black Ops. Bunch of d-bags who couldn't handle people being better than them. Also, it will be great to actually play with friends, not against them.

There were hardly any hackers in Black Ops and only about two every 60 hours of play in MW3. Whiners will whine, but this is the better system. Great to hear!

/and yes, I have been playing CoD PC since CoD2.

MortTheBeast
Level 7

Thanks for signing our clans death-warrent Treyarch along with outright disrespect towards the entire PC community! When we first heard the news about Dedicated servers we were all so happy to know that unlike IW... Treyarch still had the PC communities back... now with this news of no rentable, configurable or admining of our own servers... I'm feeling a 10 inch blade sticking out of my back. Thanks for nothing and making this just like IWNet... where we can't get rid of morons who are cheating... and have to deal with little kiddies being stupid and can't do a thing about it. The PC community is now officially dead with this news... again... thanks for nothing and all our clan have just either cancelled their orders or are now not planning on ordering, as we are a Crouch Only CTF clan and no chance of that happening without renting a server and having some control. Long live what COD USE TO BE!

Goggalor1
Level 1

This is awesome news.  I can't stand every server being 24/7 Nuketown, crouch only, or restricted weapon crap in BO 1.  I actually want to play with my friends, on the same team. 

You can still play black ops 1 if you want, or WaW, or cod 4.  Take your goofy ass rules and play one of those games.

MortTheBeast
Level 7

Let me also add a question... why couldn't you do like Black Ops I and have only GameServers handle it? I thought they did a bang of job and also... from what I am aware of... there was never a leak of server files. Your post makes it out like files were leaked but never happened. I really don't understand why the PC community keeps getting the short end of the stick? Isn't it bad enough that the PC community is what made the COD title so popular but we keep getting jilted year after year... title after title? We had to deal with IW's bs with no dedicated servers, then deal with 4 yrs of no mapping tools (which you still refuse to say why), deal with paying for silly map packs... you (Treyarch) were the PC communities last shining star with at least sticking with rentable dedicated servers and now your basically a IW wanna be. What a way to treat a community that had given so much over the years... with mappers and modders from the PC community being hired on by you and IW... now we all kicked to the curb.

MortTheBeast
Level 7

I call bs on saying dedicated servers are for loners... we had a large clan all playing Crouch Only CTF and people enjoyed it. Now our clan is dead and the chance of playing Crouch Only is dead. Funny thing I find about people complaining about not liking this rule or that rule or with Crouch Only etc... nobody forced anyone's hand when it comes to playing on these specific servers and there are always tons of servers playing vanilla, but people will always find something to complain about even when there are many different options at their disposal... heck... rent your own server is one way to ensure you get what YOU want... but why should the entire community have to suffer for a choice few people who either refuse to rent your own server or are too lazy to just find a server that fits their playing needs? The only people with a legit complaint are clans like mine, cause we just lost ALL out options and will be forced to play on in essence a slew of servers all the same... aside from the obvious of some will run HC vs Non HC and different game types.

whatabeer
Level 3

B-E-S-T-O-F-B-O-T-H-W-O-R-L-D-S

t1mb3r7and
Level 1

The thing about dedicated servers is that players had CHOICE to what gameplay they want to play. If you wanted Crouch Only, no run in gun, you had a CHOICE to go there. If you wanted out of the box, stock style, you have a CHOICE to go there. Hackers were pretty non-existant in a server regurally maintained, racists, 13 year old idiots who whine and cuss and scream and whatever, you didnt have to deal with it.  This is essentially the same move IW pulled on us last year, except I had hope for 3arc last this time around. Im holding my purchase until the people who buy this game on PC (not much from what I can tell) say that this game is good to go competitively and cheat-free, but even then, meh...

HeavensDevil
Level 2

im there with u bro!!! cant wait this is awesome good job treyarch!!

midago73
Level 4

So let me think.......Clan gaming just got butf fu#@*!.  Well thank you very much, IW maimed cod and tryarch just execited it.  After reading that had to call and cancel my pre-order,  put it on medal of honour warfighter instead.   After MW 3 i was looking forward to this, well  now we know what pc community means to theese people, nothing. Farewell COD.

HeavensDevil
Level 2

3arch just make sure to get a few servers in south america and we will get along perfect!!!!

midago73
Level 4

So instead you would have a dedicated server with possibly no admin reachable immediatley to sort out your problems and have to wait weeks for any kind of support, treyarch's own servers have probably not even been tested to the extent of what server companies have, it is not going to work from day 1 and not all admins are assholes, the guys i play with are always keen to help, however do not tollerate hackers and people who abuse.  Do you think that treyarchs servers are going to be monitored on a regular basis?.  There are so many problems with this.  Loners, what are you talking about, in a decent MP game our clan could fill our server, so where do you get loners from?

nickabc423
Level 1

And there goes the last hope for the Call of Duty franchise. R.I.P.

sp33dman
Level 1

I AM WITH EVERY OTHER CLAN WHO FELL IN LOVE WITH COD: BLACK OPS, WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO ADMIN OUR SERVER... AND I WILL BE CANCELLING MY ORDER WITH GAMESTOP... TREYARCH SCREWED THE PC WORLD

PCMavRic
Level 1

My heart just sank just as much as it did when I heard the interview Bowling did before MW2 came out. NO DEDICATED SERVERS!

How the freek can you tell me BO2 will have ranked and unranked dedicated servers? Who is going to config the unranked dedicated ones?

This is the last straw!

whatabeer
Level 3

Well atleast there will be direct x 11 and maybe tessellation.. Metro 2033 wasn't a MP game but it had direct x 11 so more people bought it. Whenever you hear a game (good or bad) that has Direct x 11 on the computer it seems like everyone are bee's on honey.. Also if you check Modern Warfare 3 they just got a 24/7 DOME added on and you can vote what other maps you want for 24/7, hope this applies to BO2 with Nuketown 2025, Hijacked, Nightclub and the other ones

Awesomedeep
Level 1

I have mixed feelings about this, I loved playing on OFAW servers, their rules were purfect for S&D. Now there will be 13 year old racist kids saying BS all over the chat and you all know it, however I can totally understand why is treyarch doing this though, but taking away freedom to customize servers is a bit too much, why not allow people to buy servers from treyarch, this way server files won't leak and you guys have all the control... you guys are happy making more money and we're happy too...anyone with me?

Pestylence
Level 1

Wow, why even try to sell the idea of "Dedicated servers". A big fat case of false adverstisement. You fully understood when you put the tag "dedicated servers" out there, you were only targeting one audience. However, you immediatley turn and poop on that audience a month before release. Only PC users know what it is, and they all want to set some rules. Is that so hard, previously not, but I guess as technology gets better, that must be harder for you guys.

Did you really think we would not notice? The people that want dedicated servers are the only real groups I still see playing Black Ops 1. Nice work trying to trick us. I will not buy this game. I already made that mistake with Modern Warfare 3. Anything we can't control, well, I don't want to play, sorry.

There are only so many games I can take a guy running and jumping to stab me in the back, or shooting me from a tube over a wall as I spawn. I will never buy another COD ever. MW3, and now BO2 are equal, run and gun only, no chance to change it. I am a Director of IT for a fortune 500 company, and I am pretty sure I know why you are doing this, and it is just sad for the few thousand dollars you may save on the computer players.

koilbrah
Level 1

I really like this part about the announcement..

Can we...

No.

How can you guys be stupid enough to think any of this was a good idea for PC, you guys know you are full blown retards, right? What competitive players do you expect to buy this game and play your public league with 0 rules?

3 likes - 5000 views... hahaha. someone actually made a worse PC FPS than MW2, mind = obliterated.

whatabeer
Level 3

Sounds like Match-Making with a "dedicated server" that you can't access so therefore it's just Match-Making lobby's

Cappy1892
Level 1

Seriously a bad move from 3ARC

Clans are now going to have to find a game to support, seeing as we can no longer remove foul mouth rule breaking window llickers from our servers.

Our Clan is relatively small, 100 members, so in the scheme of things isnt worth anything to the game developers., but when you consider the amount of clans that have members purely because of the gamestyles we can utilise, the number of pissed off PC  owners is in the thousands. and i can assure you that not many of the clans that are out there will be buying this game.

i for one will be encouraging my fellow clan members to veto, not only this product, but anything else you guys ever produce..

cprl_rst
Level 3

How have you been let down you will be playing on dedicated servers they said that they would deliver ranked dedis and they did why QQ about it

cprl_rst
Level 3

in some ways i agree i would love my own server to play with my own rules as i like to just play more realistic sometimes but i think this is a comprrimise

cprl_rst
Level 3

have you not seen all the features they have put intoit regarding competative play? this game is being built for the competative market

cprl_rst
Level 3

i think you'll find that gameservers will be doing the servers again and treyarch have just paid them a fee upfront for them to host think about the amount of empty servers there were in black ops this way Gameservers can control the servers they woun't sit idle and empty thus saving them selves money.

cprl_rst
Level 3

you cancel the preorder because this release will be better than MW3  i can't understand you peoples logic

FRaGOuch
Level 2

Clans have suffered so much with MW3 and its total failure in competitive play. We had pinned our hopes on BO2 while marking time by going back to Black Ops again.  We recruit mainly by getting to know the players on OUR server.  Players who respect and agree with OUR rules and the way we play the game.  We compete in Leagues that support our way of thinking with the configs they develop for OUR match servers. 

The only way that Treyarch MAY listen to us as a community is this:

Important Messages

This order has been cancelled.  It is now empty

Hozza1
Level 2

cprl.rst wrote:

have you not seen all the features they have put intoit regarding competative play? this game is being built for the competative market

for your info the PC has had competitive play since the 90's - taking clan owned servers away just kills it off - MW2 no leagues and MW3 unranked were too restrictive so leagues didn't last, I know of many clans that ditched MW3 in favour of BO so they could play in leagues and ladders.

The BO servers via GameServers were restrictive compared to previous cod titles (excluding MW2) but it gave clans there home to play on.

cprl_rst
Level 3

Explain how this will be worse than mw2 you have no logic in that statement you will be playing on ranked dedis and not on LagFestNet

LiQuiiiid
Level 1

No servers? No mods? Our clan is hosting 2 of the top 3 servers on black ops with our zombie mod. BO2 = Denied!

We're hosting 2 sniper only servers.

BO2 = Denied!

WHO THE THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA?

This is worse than MW3.

cprl_rst
Level 3

i understand the thing about the Home for the Clan and yes it's not going to be a clan friendly game but wait don't the xbox and ps3 both sport huge clans the thing you now have to realise is there needs to be a different approach to playing cod.

as for mw3 being resrtictive you couldn't be further from the truth you could turn off every perk and every weapon and have just what you wanted to play MW3 has been the best out of the box competative solution for cod in years.

Hozza1
Level 2

cprl.rst wrote:

i understand the thing about the Home for the Clan and yes it's not going to be a clan friendly game but wait don't the xbox and ps3 both sport huge clans the thing you now have to realise is there needs to be a different approach to playing cod.

as for mw3 being resrtictive you couldn't be further from the truth you could turn off every perk and every weapon and have just what you wanted to play MW3 has been the best out of the box competative solution for cod in years.

PS3 and 360 have cod elite, we the PC community weren't privy to that...

as to turning stuff off MW3 yes you could, but it was still utter crap being you the player had to have your classes setup right in the first place.

All I'm saying is BO servers worked why go backwards? Yes BO2 should be better than MW3 but thats not a very good benchmark lol

cprl_rst
Level 3

Hozza wrote:

cprl.rst wrote:

PS3 and 360 have cod elite, we the PC community weren't privy to that...

as to turning stuff off MW3 yes you could, but it was still utter crap being you the player had to have your classes setup right in the first place.

All I'm saying is BO servers worked why go backwards? Yes BO2 should be better than MW3 but thats not a very good benchmark lol

Agreed but as i have learnd since MW2 the devs will not change anything once they have announced it.

Elite for PC they say is down to hackers with their backend policing reporting and anticheat i think Pc may actually see Elite This time round.

alphatt
Level 4

I'd like to point out that.

1. This is literally the only way leauge play can actually work and

2. That this is how a lot of F2P rank based PC-only games work such as Dota 2 or Tribes:Ascend. The dev hosts dedis and you join them via lobby matchmaking.

LostFaith
Level 1

CoD lost one more customer.

desudesulol
Level 1

Are you shitting me? Nobody will buy this now. Thanks treyarch, for failing the PC community.

MortTheBeast
Level 7

And ya gotta love 3arch's comment about why no modding tools... "increased technical requirements"? LMAO! What huge advancement in anything has this game had over the original? Ummm a slightly tweaked ancient engine? LOL!

3arch should stop trying to be so silly and just tell it how it is... just like no mapping tools for 4 yrs now and all coincides with having to pay for map packs that we use to always get for free. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the cold hard fact is, its all about cold hard cash and the fear that with mod and mapping support they might lose a few sales of map packs. God forbid the corporate big dogs won't be able to buy that new Lamborghini to go with their collection... or heaven forbid they can't buy that extra vacation home in Paris to go along with their other dozen or so properties.

Typical money hungry monkeys.

_Insane_
Level 1

This blog = Bollocks. Every year new game same shit. "Advanced and improved" = Bollocks coming from 3arch, IW, Activision just you wait. Control = everything business and gov. they hate competition. BOLLOCKS! Lets all play the blame game gogogogogogo.

Radical_53
Level 13

I'm not exactly happy to hear that we won't be able to rent our own servers but I wasn't exactly happy with some of the weird things and rules people set up on their servers in BO1.

The only custom rule we had on our server isn't needed anymore as second chance won't be there anymore.

I really hope the anti-cheat protection is good though and the new scorestreaks help to keep people playing the objective.

Good bye mixed mode... what a shame.

(I know there's Team Tactical or things like Ground War but they never had the right modes tbh)

xXBlackOpXx
Level 1

No servers??????no game guys!!!BYE BYE BO2!!

MortTheBeast
Level 7

That was the joy in having real dedi support... each clan could run the server in the way they saw fit, giving other players a multitude of options to choose from and now... we left with no options at all other then a few thousand servers all running the same basic thing.

Sorry but your first paragraph makes no real sense. You say you ran a server of your own and had a rule not allowing Second Chance... but at the same time complain about others server running rules you didn't like? Couldn't those same servers you don't like, say the same thing about the rule on your server?

You cannot have your cake and eat it too... you are either FOR or AGAINST this move 3arch has made and any true PC clan member would be strictly against this decision and it leaves your clan with NO real home... NO control of ANYTHING. Some 6 yr old comes in with a squeaky voice and won't shut up, you can't do a thing about it! Some 13 yr old comes into the HC server your own and blocks doorways or starts TKing... you can't do a thing about it! Noob tubes getting on your nerves on every server your dumped into? Can't do a single thing about it!

COD with REAL dedi support = Priceless

COD with FAKE dedi support = Useless

mikeyyy3
Level 1

RIP cod PC community

PS: won't buy it now...

haZard1
Level 1

that's just sad. Instead of improving the cod games and giving more and more stuff to us gamers, you take back all the good stuff you gave your previous installment. Do you seriously believe that any PC gamer will spend 50-60 euros for buying a cod game which has less benefits than the last? But what the f*ck am i talking about, the console players will buy it, they only care about new killstreaks and gadgets, forgetting what an FPS GAME is supposed to be. Continue this way, and see the cod pc community floating towards CS:GO and Battlefield 3...

MortTheBeast
Level 7

BF3 was a "pretty good" release (nowhere close to the epicness of the original though), but then DICE ruined the entire game by nerfing 90% of what it was on release day. My clan and I only had BO2 to look forward to at that point... and with this latest news we are scrambling to figure out what direction we will take since for sure we won't be supporting the COD title as long as Treyarch continues with this lame idea of no rentable servers.