1) In 2011, a 46-year-old man from the UK was playing a regular match in call of duty black ops, During the match, he was repeatedly killed by a 13-year-old boy. The boy then proceeded to name calling and just kept on agitating him. Finally, he snapped and somehow managed to find where the boy lived, he went over to his house and tried to strangle him. Luckily the boy's mom was home and managed to get the 46-year-old out of the house. He was then later arrested. You know what he did was obviously very wrong but you just can't deny we've all wished we could do that at least once.
2) Steven Spielberg is aside from a great movie director also a very avid gamer. So much so that he is actually the reason we have a lot of the popular shooters that exist today. In 1997, he had an idea for a video game set in realistic world war 2 settings. Even though most game developers at the time thought it would be a bad idea and would rather go with a more fantasy based game. But Spielberg eventually had his way and in 1999Medal of Honorwas released. It was a major hit and directly led to the formation of Infinity Ward which in turn as you all know released the first game under the titleCall of Duty. 3) The map nuketown originally fromcall of duty black opswas inspired by a scene in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in which Indiana finds himself in the middle of the desert in a so-called fake town which the government used to test the effects of nuclear bombs.
4) Being the ninth best-selling game of all time, Call of Dutyhas some rather impressive statistics. Over 100 million people have played at least one of the games, that's more than the whole population of Germany. Over 32 quadrillion let's have been fired! 31 billion care packages have been called in since modern warfare 2. Over 5 billion cars have been destroyed, which is 5 times more than the amount of currently registered cars that exist in the world today! Last but certainly not least we have collectively spent over 25 billion hours playing call of duty that roughly equals to 2.85 million years. We've spent more time playing call of duty than humanity has ever existed.
5) Call of Duty ghosts has - despite its new and amazing "AI system" not been selling all that well when compared to previous titles in the series. In fact, sales are down over 19% compared to black ops 2 and over 36% when compared to modern warfare 3. Nevertheless, it was still the second best-selling game in 2013 only beaten by gta5 for the top spot.
6) A new Call of Duty game is released every year with additional content and a few updated features from previous games. Many players feel that this constant flow of games makes the developers lazy and the overall experience very repetitive. Some even say that the game should function better as DLC as they're so similar. With the release of Call of Duty Ghosts, this was proven even further as players noticed strong similarities between the first mission in the game in the last mission from other warfare 2. In fact, they weren't just similar, they were exactly the same the only difference being the change of characters and some of the surroundings.
7) The first call of duty or Call of duty classic as it's often called, is the only game in the only series to not feature a shotgun. The Colt M1911 is featured in almost every installment of the Call of duty series excluding Finest Hour, Black ops Declassified and ghosts making it the most featured weapon in the franchise. The latest installment ghosts is the first Call of Duty classic to feature leaning on consoles. It's also the first time players have the option to play as a female soldier in multiplayer.
8) Just like any other popular game series, there's a lot of content that needs to be cut out of the final products. For example, in modern warfare 2 that was supposed to be a full level taking place in space on the ISS. In world at war zombies mode, there was a planned perk a cola machine titledammo medicthat would replenish the player's ammo. This zombie map moon was originally supposed to take place in Paris. In modern warfare 2, a train was planned to be used as an interactive element in at least one multiplayer map. In modern warfare 3, there were three planned kill streaks that were removed from the final version of the game called Harrier airstrike, emergency airdrop, and dragonfly drone. It's also speculated that a remote sentry in the form of a perk would be available online as this image can be found in the game files.
9) The zombie mode in all of the games developed by Treyarch was actually inspired by a flash game titledThe Last Stand. It bears many similarities to Call of Duty's zombie mode where the objective is to survive as long as possible by repairing barricades and acquiring better weapons while endless hordes of zombies attacks.
10) On January the 14th 2014, a completely new Call of Duty game was actually released however it's quite possible you've not heard of it as it's only been released in China the game is calledCall of Duty onlineand is entirely free to play the game is a merge between the modern warfare series in the black ops series with maps weapons and characters from both it also features a revamped zombies mode titled Dead Rising, in which you instead fight against robot or cyborg zombies. Currently, it's only available in China but there are talks about releasing the game in other parts of the world in the near future.