Chrome barrel on snipers.

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Re: Chrome barrel on snipers.

in reply to claisty

claisty wrote:

Could be lag, but I don't notice much of a difference when I use the chrome barrel attachment.  I still seem to get my share of non-kills when I appear to be centered up.

So is the life of a sniper

Level 75

in reply to Firesens

The chrome barrel advantage is rather limited.  Besides that I have trouble thinking of a second attachment to add to a sniper rifle.  So I don't see why anyone who wanted to run Chrome couldn't easily do so.  The VKS, of course, is the exception.  That sniper rifle is rather weak compared to all of the other stock snipers.  Often you'll need 2 hits to get a kill with it unless you land a headshot but I suppose that's how they balanced the built in silencer.  If you're going to get the free advantage of staying off the radar then you have to be able to work with a very small OHK window.  I'm not a fan of the VKS but I'd imagine that for those guys that are really good at sniping that it provides a challenge and that's a good thing for those that like challenges.

Level 69

in reply to Firesens

Chrome Lined is only good on the USR because it makes the whole center mass a one shot. It's unneeded overkill on the other base game snipers & on the A2 it only extends the one hit kill area to the private parts not the limbs. So it only makes the USR OP & unfair.

Level 1

in reply to Firesens

I see where you're coming from and it makes sense. I do think the differences with the chrome lined are miniscule though. I mean when I had it equipped, I didn't notice much of a difference and adapted quickly. After all, its either a OSK or a hitmarker. No matter what I have equipped, accuracy usually plays a bigger part with that outcome than attachments.

As for the VKS which I enjoyed using, the rate of fire is obviously its strong point. If you're able to time the shots with the recoil, it almost is like a marksman rifle. Not really but more so that the other sniper rifles.

All said and done, the USR with thermal is my gun of choice. Chrome lined not necessary.

Level 75
Highlighted

in reply to iHattoriHanzo0

They should have given the VKS a recoil compensator to make it a little more even with the others since all three (other than VKS of course) can have a Chrome barrel.

Level 16

in reply to Firesens

I won't disagree with that. I wonder why they didn't..

Level 75

in reply to Firesens

I still think the issue isn't so much with the attachments...

it is more to do with the fact it takes no effort to unlock them.

Imagine if you had to use the Sniper first before you could unlock the attachments.

Sure, people might get there eventually, but I think Balance is improved when people have to work to unlock game changing Attachments; ie Thermal Scopes and Chrome Barrel. Imagine if players had to use a sniper with no attachments in order to unlock the ability to unlock attachments, and then complete a series of challenges for each attachment (MW2 style).

The higher level attachments wouldn't be as much of an issue, because your casual player couldn't just grab a weapon and slap anything they wanted on it.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to Firesens

Chrome Barrel isn't really worth it in the long-run, IMO. As mentioned, it adds very noticeable sway and recoil and the damage increase isn't that huge that you "need" it so much. Any decent sniper can easily make due without it.

Level 24

in reply to Firesens

Giving the VKS the same damage as the L115? Talk about imbalanced.

Level 18

in reply to Firesens

You don't even need chrome barrel, just aim at central mass.

Level 64

Studios