DLC Maps - Does having them hurt your matchmaking?

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

DLC Maps - Does having them hurt your matchmaking?

This is intended mostly for the next generation console users; Xbox One and PS4, because they have fewer players online for matchmaking to begin with.  Xbox 360 and PS3 users, of course are free to add their input as well. 

(1) Have you deleted your DLC Maps?

(2) Did it make your matchmaking better without the DLC Maps?

I was reminded of the old options to disable the map packs when somebody on twitter announced they had to delete their DLC maps in order to find a game lobby on the weekend.  Going back to the original Black Ops, having the DLC maps could limit your matchmaking possibilities, which we all know does not make for smooth games.

For the older generation consoles; in COD games you could either select to search without DLC or you could disable the add-on through a PlayStation menu.  In my PS4 for Ghosts, I cannot find anything that allows this and it seems your only option is to delete the add-on.  As you only have a limited amount of downloads from the store for each purchase, I hope that you can at least restore it via a back-up if needed.  I may do a back-up of my system and do a test on this question to see what I find. 

Level 12
12 REPLIES

Re: DLC Maps - Does having them hurt your matchmaking?

in reply to Ungrateful_Dead

1.  Yes, I deleted the Map Pack.

2.  Yes, matchmaking has greatly improved.

They should have never removed the disable DLC option and no idea why Sony didn't include the ability to deactivate DLC on their side as well.

They need to cater to the people who pay extra money for content, not limit them.  It basically makes me never want to buy DLC again.  I have bought a lot of DLC in the past, but disabled it from time to time either with the option or within the console by deactivating.  I had the best of both worlds.  Now I have a world where I have to delete the game and install without the maps to get decent matches.

Level 16
Highlighted

I am on PS3 and have not deleted them. Even on PS3 they do hurt matchmaking but less so now that they made a dedicated play list for DLC maps. You still play DLC maps but not nearly as often. I suspect they put a greater emphasise on matching players based on good connections rather than who has the DLC. In fact DLC maps rarely come up in the rotation since the play list change. And I am often put in matches were many don't have the DLC. That was a great improvement from when match making was just based on who had the DLC. Still not as good as it was but much better than when the player pool was completely separated.

Level 12

i took off the dlc for a week now, have played alot during clan wars.. and i am not sure if there was a major difference.

but i noticed alot of 1st prestige in the lobby..

so now i have reinstalled it.. I will share in a few days the results. If i am only getting master prestige lobbies and not much lvl1 prestige anymore then it does affect it.

Level 7

The greater number of players will be in the non-dlc category which means the servers should be getting better (players closer to you) for match making. The fewer the players the less options for close (location) games. the dlc definitely divides the player base.

Level 29

in reply to noluck07

I have always assumed that nearly everyone would have all the DLC maps. I had never really thought that most wouldn't. I would be very interested to see the figures.

Level 24

in reply to greyfryer67

In the past, I think DLC was purchased more.  However, the last several iterations of COD has "felt" like there were much less people purchasing content (map packs).  There are some generic industry numbers out there but I think it's safe to say with the game competition out now, the DLC purchases (micro DLC is taking off, but map pack purchases are dwindling IMO) have gone down for COD - especially for Ghosts.

Level 16

in reply to WhyNoName

This I agree with, less and less players are interested in purchasing DLC for COD. I still believe the price is high for the maps.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to WhyNoName

Yeah actually I would agree with that now that you mention it . I tend to play KC RIC HC and I do see some familiar names crop up quite often.

Level 24

in reply to greyfryer67

It would be interesting to see some numbers on that, but I always assumed that because of the cost most wouldn't get the dlc.

Level 29

Studios