Don't make the shotguns useless

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Don't make the shotguns useless

I really hope IW doesn't make the shotguns crap like they did in MW3. I had all of the shotguns gold in MW3 and it was a nightmare. First you had to grind 28 levels of nothing but hitmarkers to finally unlock the damage proficiency and even damage didn't really help the shotguns to perfom well. The problem really lies with a lack of consistency, even at close range I'd have to be guessing whether I'd get a hitmarker or a kill because of the extremely inconsistent performance. Also do what Treyarch did and make the pellet spread tighter when you ADS.

Level 18
23 REPLIES

Re: Don't make the shotguns useless

in reply to Im_not_BukLau

A lot of the shotguns weren't too bad, the problem was the consistency like you said. Sometimes you could 1hko 3 people in a row, other times you'd hit them 2-3x and still be trying to get the kill. If they could make them consistently deal the right damage, they'd be great.

I do want to see them buffed though. Maybe different ammo types, such as Slugs, or Flechette Rounds, and increased range on them so that you don't have to have the gun right up against them. The Shotguns could be so much better with just a little more versatility built into them.

Level 35

in reply to kastro187420

I really hope a slug shotgun or option to use slugs as an attachments is in Ghosts. The KSG in Black Ops 2 was an extremely fun weapon and if you were on a good connection it was also a very effective weapon.

kastro187420 wrote:

Sometimes you could 1hko 3 people in a row, other times you'd hit them 2-3x and still be trying to get the kill. If they could make them consistently deal the right damage, they'd be great.

^ this. No matter what range I was at I had to constantly be second guessing myself when using the SPAS, KSG and M1887. The others weren't so bad because you could get a second shot off quickly but when using one of the manual action shotguns the lack of consistency was a huge problem

Level 18

agreed. while i felt like the MW3 guns had the right range capabilities they were so dang inconsistant that it didnt matter. If the shotguns in ghosts preform like the ones in BO2 than i will be very pleased.

Level 19

Would i be wrong to assume that you guys play in core as opposed to HC??? shotguns are EXTREMELY effective and well balanced in hardcore ....especially when you unlock the range prof.

Level 1

Gun balancing is best done through map design. Shotgun in Black Ops II were fine statistically. The problem arose in the map layouts. Lots of tight alleys, small cluttered rooms, and openings that barely fit their discriptions of "open" gave them benefits. Look at Carrier, probably the most open map in the game as it had few rooms and walls, but clutter gave Shotgunners the chance to duck and hide around all the random crates and vehicles giving them the chance to enter OHK range. Same goes for Handguns

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I agree with what you are saying but it's no good having balanced maps and shotguns that are statistically balanced if they are getting point blank and CQC hitmarkers. When using the pump and lever action shotguns in MW3 (even with the damage proficiency) it was often a guessing game as to whether you were going to get a kill or a hitmarker. There was no sense of consistency with these guns, every time you picked them up they felt like a completely different gun.

Level 18

I'm not really sure why this happens. The game has a set-in-stone formula for damage. Anything within X distance and Y number of pellets recieves Z damage. As to why I'm getting hit markers dispite landing nearly all my pellets on a guy is beyond me. It could be lag or it could be poor hit detection, I don't know. But if they carry over the same shotgun philosophy from Black Ops II over to Ghosts I think that would be accurate

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I think Black Ops 2 (apart from the problems with the maps that you mentioned) handled shotguns (in terms of consistency) well. You could get a good feeling of the limitations of each weapon, the ranges were you'd get a hitmarker or OHK and when to ADS or hipfire (I really hope IW do what 3arc did and make ADSing a shotgun tighten the pellet spread).

Level 18

in reply to Ghamorra

while i agree that map design makes a huge diffence, the hard core shotgun user can use a shotgun on any map effectivly if done right. sometime it just rewuires thinking (something alot of people in the game are not good at)

Level 19

Studios