Forum Boosting: A tip on how to avoid it and a potential solution.

SOLVED

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Forum Boosting: A tip on how to avoid it and a potential solution.

As many regular forumers probably know by now, there has been some point boosting going on recently that is negatively impacting the community. I offer below both a tip as to how to avoid a potential issue, and a possible solution for future implementation.

Tip: Click on the profile of the thread's creator, regardless of rank. If the account is only a day old or so, it should be a red flag, at least for the time being. If the account is older, say 3 months for example, it's probably safe waters.

Potential Solution: Make it so that forum users who post responses must accept the mark as "correct" or "helpful" before points are distributed. This will allow the responder to control the point flow. If the answer gets marked correct more than once, the user can simply decline the points and the mark, thus keeping the profile's points intact.

Let me know if you think this is a viable option.

Level 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Forum Boosting: A tip on how to avoid it and a potential solution.

in reply to gramthenOOb
Solution
‎12-06-2014 01:12 AM

It's very annoying,  the fact we have to check and think about what threads we're posting on,  just in case it's one that will boost points.  Another option would be to make it that you're only able to mark correct or helpful once,  not given the option to unmark your choice,  without first sending a message to the CS team for verification,  that would stop this.

Maybe not everyone will agree with my suggestion,  but most regular forum members do take the time to consider each comment made before actually marking a response correct or helpful,  so I don't see it as being an issue for them.

Tracy | Community Forum Moderator
10 REPLIES

in reply to gramthenOOb

Get what you're saying, but don't understand 1 point.

Why on earth would someone forum boost?  Do people seriously think a rank on a forum is important?  Seen a few bizarre things since I joined the COD community, but if this happens then that is right up there with the most weird!

Level 16

in reply to gramthenOOb
Solution
‎12-06-2014 01:12 AM

It's very annoying,  the fact we have to check and think about what threads we're posting on,  just in case it's one that will boost points.  Another option would be to make it that you're only able to mark correct or helpful once,  not given the option to unmark your choice,  without first sending a message to the CS team for verification,  that would stop this.

Maybe not everyone will agree with my suggestion,  but most regular forum members do take the time to consider each comment made before actually marking a response correct or helpful,  so I don't see it as being an issue for them.

Tracy | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to gramthenOOb

The easiest solution is to make it like the Seal of approval badge, you can mark  questions as correct but only 3 count per day towards earning that badge, make it so only the first 3 times you mark a question it allocates points to other members, at least this will limit the boosting to 300 points per question so the booster would have to ask a lot of questions to make up for the amount of damage he can cause now with a single one

Level 67

in reply to gramthenOOb

Why on earth people would forum boost I don't know. However, I have noticed some strange "Correct / Helpful Answers" lately. Mainly on threads that clearly have no question.

Level 18

in reply to brsox

Because some people on here only base their existence (therefore value) on what faceless forum users think about their comments.

These people need to get a life and realise that they are just losers.

Level 38

in reply to gramthenOOb

I see no point in this. As you say the date someone joined determines their conntributions to an extent. I also think the system for points is unfair. I had over 1500 MW3 and BO2 posts and then they reset all the "veterans" like myself to zero for Ghosts, meaning newbies have more points than me. Imo the existing system all the way back to MW2 was fine.

Level 24

in reply to Thesandman11

I honestly couldn't give two shits on how many points I have - points on here are like KD, totally worthless and by no means at all a measure of content.

Level 38

in reply to gramthenOOb

Another think to mention is people (users) who have friends on here all liking each others posts - regardless of content etc.

Or when one forum user posts questions (opinion based) and their friends answers are always marked as "correct", even when the question has only a couple of answers and ESPECIALLY WHEN THE QUESTION IS AN OPINION.

So many of these high up forum users have huge points only because of their bumbuddy mates who agree with everything because they have no brains or are too scared to disagree.

Level 38

in reply to gramthenOOb

Not viable - COS IT MAKES SENSE

only when it makes no sense & nothing works will treyarchactivisionbeached allow things into the wild

Level 13

Studios