Future COD titles - No Campaign

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Future COD titles - No Campaign

Respawn's Vince Zampella, former Infinity Ward co-founder, made the following statement;

We make these single-player missions that take up all the focus of the studio, that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in 8 minutes," he said. "And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game.

Do you agree with this? I do! Why has Infinity Ward and Treyarch not caught on!? I feel they waste a lot of time and resources focusing on campaign, when they should be focusing exclusively on multiplayer. Imagine how much more immersive multiplayer would be if Infinity Ward and Treyarch realized what Vince Zampella has stated above!

For those interested in what else Vince Zampella had to say, visit: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-18-zampella-titanfall-not-gunning-for-call-of-duty

Level 13
41 REPLIES

Re: Future COD titles - No Campaign

in reply to BuddyVA

you only have to look at the number of is ghost dead bring back ghost threads, and topics all over the internet to see that although your opinion maybe concentrate on mp only there is a massive amount of players who love and play the single player campaigns

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Massive amount? Vince said 5 percent finish. I would hope he didn't pull that number from the sky. Where are your numbers?

Level 13

in reply to BuddyVA

BuddyVA wrote:

Massive amount? Vince said 5 percent finish. I would hope he didn't pull that number from the sky. Where are your numbers?

and he would know how many finish because....

either way lots of people play sp , not having sp doesnt add anything to cod it subtracts ,the single player campaign is what made cod what it today anyways. heck first three cod games i didnt even play the mp

also half the stuff coming out of respawn atm are direct digs at cod so should be taken with a pinch of salt

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

He would know because he is the former co-founder of Infinity Ward. I guess you are part of the 5 percent along with the rest of the people here who are pro single-player.

Level 13

in reply to BuddyVA

BuddyVA wrote:

He would know because he is the former co-founder of Infinity Ward. I guess you are part of the 5 percent along with the rest of the people here who are pro single-player.

and how many cod games has there been since he left?

doesnt really matter arguing semantics on a forum is pointless,

not having a single player section would annoy alot of people and lose sales alot of people dont play mp and only the sp , hence why 3arc for example added combat training to get more people to play mp

but end of the day there wouldnt be any net gain to not adding a single player portion unless you take quotes from ex iw peeps slightly out of context and run with them

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Most developers that have successful MPs all say that multiplayer typically ranks second in popularity and even more say that their dedicated players typically don't player the Campaign in later titles as their sole interest is in the MP.

I would have guessed much higher than 5%, maybe aroudn 20-30% play the campaign, but on my friend's list I have 50+ players who I added solely for Black Ops II multiplayer and only 7 friend's have even played the campaign

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I play Campaigns for COD games and many other games.  If they want to make a only multiplayer game, they should make it F2P.  Oh that is right they have a F2P COD game on PC.

Level 47

in reply to Maccabi

Im not so sure about that Mac, the argument could be made that the money and resorces used to develop a single player campaign could be used to further develop multiplayer and test it thoroughly.

I personally dont enjoy the campaign but thats my nature as a gamer generally if im not playing online i get bored very easily. But this is just where im comming from, I would love to see them develop a multiplayer only game and get it right and i feel that if this was the sole focus they would achieve something great.

But it will never happen because as you say it would take something away from the game for the players who do enjoy it, i believe 5% completion is probably an innacurate number and im sure that many more people play and complete it, for example they cannot track the completion rate of an offline player who does not have xbox live etc

Level 7

in reply to BuddyVA

vince is lying their last game had a completion of 59.1% Only 18.6% of Players Have Completed CoD: Black... | GameZone

Level 1

Studios