GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE

in reply to teanah

teanah wrote:

Earlier today Mark Rubin shared some info about Ghosts:

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.

Thanks, Teenah.

One question... how will matchmaking be handled in a party?

• Is a lobby found based off the party leader's connection?
  • If so, is the leader pinging anyone in the lobby or is it only the host (listen server)?
  • Once in the lobby, are the open slots filled based on anyone in the room or only the host (listen server)?

Dedicated servers solve host selection but how the hybrid approach will work is unclear.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

rankismet wrote:

• If so, is the leader pinging anyone in the lobby or is it only the host (listen server)?

• Once in the lobby, are the open slots filled based on anyone in the room or only the host (listen server)?

Dedicated servers solve host selection but how the hybrid approach will work is unclear.

I doubt very much Iw would revert back to the clusterfug of all party matchmaking it causes way too many problems.

When m,atchmaking the party leader should only be pinging the server be it a dedi or a listen server same as its always been

open slots would be filled the same way as previous games the game will place anyone in that slot if that slot is the best session available at that time.

On dedis there obviously wouldnt be host selection as the dedi is host on the listen servers it would still perform a host race to determine the best host from the pool of players in the session,

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

maccabi wrote:

rankismet wrote:

I doubt very much Iw would revert back to the clusterfug of all party matchmaking it causes way too many problems.

When m,atchmaking the party leader should only be pinging the server be it a dedi or a listen server same as its always been

open slots would be filled the same way as previous games the game will place anyone in that slot if that slot is the best session available at that time.

On dedis there obviously wouldnt be host selection as the dedi is host on the listen servers it would still perform a host race to determine the best host from the pool of players in the session,

That's what kinda concerns me... and what I see as an issue now.

Party of six comes into a lobby based on leader's ping to the current host of the lobby. New players match based on their ping to anybody already in the lobby. Then the game finds a host.

This causes really poor connections.

Players joining the lobby should only ping to the host.And a lobby host should never change unless that host leaves. That makes things a lot better.

Perhaps that is what they are implementing... not passing judgement until I see how stable it is.

Dedis solve this but I suspect I will be matched into a lot listen lobbies...

RAN
Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

When finding the best connection (dedi or listen) why wouldn't take everyones connection in the room into consideration (whether in a party or not). I've never understood why it only takes the party leaders connection into consideration.  I'm not as fluent when it comes to the connectivity issues so any explanation on this would be helpful.

Level 33

in reply to LifeSong1

LifeSong1 wrote:

When finding the best connection (dedi or listen) why wouldn't take everyones connection in the room into consideration (whether in a party or not). I've never understood why it only takes the party leaders connection into consideration.  I'm not as fluent when it comes to the connectivity issues so any explanation on this would be helpful.

The majority of times it makes no difference really whether you use all or just party leader if everyone is geographicaly close by , if you have people in your party from outside what would be considered "local" the game would throw you into a session that was average/less than average for the whole party instead of just average/bad for one player. End result everyone ended up in sessions that were less than perfect.

Its one of the reasons IW scrapped this idea half way thru mw3

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

So if I have players around the US in my party, then it wouldn't be best to find a host centrally located? Instead, it chooses one close to me because I'm the leader even if the majority of the party is on the other side of the country? I don't see how that makes much sense. If 12 randoms get put into a room it has to evaluate everyone in the room.  Why wouldn't they do the same thing whether any of the players were in a party or not.  I'm sorry if I'm missing something here, it just isn't making any sense to me.

Level 33
Highlighted

in reply to LifeSong1

LifeSong1 wrote:

So if I have players around the US in my party, then it wouldn't be best to find a host centrally located? Instead, it chooses one close to me because I'm the leader even if the majority of the party is on the other side of the country?

Using your example...

if you're in a party with 5 people other side of the us and you're party host then they would all have a bad sessions (2-3 bar) and you would have a good session. (4 bar)

The old everyone in party matchmaking would place you all in a session average to you all mid way so you'd all have a less than perfect session (3 bar)

Party leader system where the party  choses party leader with some thought would mean everyone in the party would have a good session (4 bars) apart from you on (2-3 bars) which is a much better system all round

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

maccabi wrote:

LifeSong1 wrote:

So if I have players around the US in my party, then it wouldn't be best to find a host centrally located? Instead, it chooses one close to me because I'm the leader even if the majority of the party is on the other side of the country?

Using your example...

if you're in a party with 5 people other side of the us and you're party host then they would all have a bad sessions (2-3 bar) and you would have a good session. (4 bar)

The old everyone in party matchmaking would place you all in a session average to you all mid way so you'd all have a less than perfect session (3 bar)

Party leader system where the party  choses party leader with some thought would mean everyone in the party would have a good session (4 bars) apart from you on (2-3 bars) which is a much better system all round

You know I've been saying for years the issue is host selection... and matchmaking.

If they get the matchmaking part solved put do nothing about how host is selected... the best matchmaking result will get shonked.

Matchmaking with a party to a listen server:

• Match based on party leader to lobby host.
  • Fill room based on ping to lobby host only.
  • Do not change lobby host unless host leaves (in-game or post-game).

If this isn't the case.. shonked.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to teanah

How will the hybrid system work?

Will it be like a pot luck system where some lobbies are hosted on dedis and some on listen servers? Or will certain modes (TDM/CTF etc) be all dedi or all listen?

Or will it be something like squads mode gets dedis and regular public mp lobbies get the listen servers?

Level 8

in reply to surridge1990

Mark Rubin said players will get put in the best session. So if there isn't a dedicated near you and a listen server is a better option then you'll be put on that.

Level 30

Studios