GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Re: GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE

in reply to Maccabi

Totally agree with you on this. Please, do me a favor. Make a thread a describe (only the way you can) that there isn't a 100% guarantee of hitting a dedi.

Level 59

in reply to ChestSplittah

ChestSplittah wrote:

Totally agree with you on this. Please, do me a favor. Make a thread a describe (only the way you can) that there isn't a 100% guarantee of hitting a dedi.

This!

Level 28

in reply to Maccabi

Mac your going to have to fire up the ole Maccabian brain and do a common sense post to help clear up the confusion that the dedi/listen hybrid system is creating. On how ded's will not always be the best choice for everyone. And how just because a player has a low normal ping to a test/web server that does not always mean it would be so to a listen/dedi server based upon number of hops and distance to each. That a dedi if far enough(several hops/routes) could actually be worse than a listen server in game performance.

Level 70
Highlighted

in reply to Maccabi

Beat me to it! I thought the exact same thing that if people can see if they're on a dedicated server or not then it will just result in players constantly backing out of lobbies in the hope they'll get put on one. Resulting in players potentially waiting ages to get a game.

Level 30

in reply to teanah

Sounds like great news to me. Hopefully I will play on dedis while I still have my xbox360. Either way it's positive news. Clearly they're trying to improve gameplay. 

Level 21

in reply to teanah

Thats great!

What I like even more than the news, is the fact that you told us. There's nothing better than having the "powers that be" to be in contact with the passionate CoD community here on these forums.

Now please keep in touch after the game is released. An update on how you think these connectivity elements are working would be terrific. I'm sure we will do the same.

If the developers don't mention connectivity again after the game is released, it just comes off as a marketing scheme to assure the current disgruntled players that connectivity will be better in order to sell the game.

Level 75

in reply to iHattoriHanzo0

I think Activision are aware that they'll have serious competition next gen for shooters.

They'll obviously be BF, Killzone, Titanfall, Destiny, free-to-play games like Blacklight: Retribution and Warface plus whatever else comes out.

They will know they'll need to up their game so not to lose the market share.

Level 30

in reply to teanah

Thank u very much for bringing dedicated server for all the console this gen and next gen

just  a question is the WiiU included?

Level 2

in reply to teanah

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.

Questions from the OP in bold:

First,  Is the ratio of dedicated servers and listing servers the same across all platforms?  Does any one platform use only dedicated servers?

Second, How will this be any different than what we have right now?  I'm under the impression that BO2 and MW3 both try to connect you with people with similar pings.

Side question:  Is it possible to have a better online exp. on listing servers? 

From my understanding it is possible if everyone is relatively close together (location wise) and has the similar connection speeds and pings.  This would be better than a match on a dedicated server were people are far away and have veering connection speeds.  Dedicated servers will not help those that have slow internet.  However, a match on a DS with people that are all close to that location with similar speeds will be better than the same scenario on a  listing server.

Level 1

in reply to teanah

I cant wait for the players that get their butts whipped start claiming it was because they were stuck in a game using the "old P2P" setup.

Level 72

Studios