Ghamorra's book of tactics: The greatest threat to your success is yourself

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Ghamorra's book of tactics: The greatest threat to your success is yourself

Today I went and watched my old high school basketball team take on their bitter rivals in what would be a massive blow out. Even though they were losing badly they didn't give up. All they did was try harder. The sprinted across the court, dove for loose balls, play stronger, and pushed the tempo faster and faster in hopes of staging a 35 point comeback...that didn't happen.

The thing about trying harder is that most of the time it has the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve. The harder and faster you push yourself beyond control. Our pointguard was so adamant on pushing the tempo of the game that he kept turning the ball over. The center was trying to desperately to overpower the his defender that was a good four inches taller than he was that he knocked him over for an offensive foul. Playing harder IS NOT playing smarter.

Control is key, it's what playing game is about. If you don't have control over yourself you can't hope to have control over the outcome. It's always been important and always will be. You know those days that just suck. You can't buy a kill or even execute basic actions. That feeling of defeat is really a feeling of being out of control or your own game.

When you're losing, getting beat up on, or even just having trouble with consistency, an important trick is start working on a small scale. Set small goals that easy to achieve and build confidence up in your game. What I like to do is find a not so populated area of the map and defend it. Pick off a few guys that wander buy and with each kill a spread out just a bit. Slowly working my way back into relevance. This is great for TDM or KC where there's no real objective and you have more freedom to relax and play your own game.

In a mode like DOM or something with a physical objective you might want to work on protecting a spawn then slowly work out and push the next flag. Make you find success in the small goals. Building confidence is best way to make sure your heads in the right place and you don't get ahead of yourself. Taking flags and defending the objective is a great way to do this.

If you want to find success you first need to allow yourself to be successful. Frustration and anger most often results in failure. You can't be successful if your angry and acting out. Control yourself and once you do that you can start focusing on controlling the game.

Level 75
14 REPLIES

Re: The greatest threat to your success is yourself

in reply to Ghamorra

Problem is that the people I play DOM with never heard of defense.

Level 7

in reply to Azrael513

That's because defense is no different than camping to most players.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

The only time it is an issue is if it is in TDM or KC since they pretty much scream stat whore.

Level 7

in reply to Azrael513

You'd be surprised how many DOM players find defending as camping. It's pretty sad considering how convenient a defender is to protect against spawntrapping.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I love when people call me or others a f'ing camper in search and rescue when I/they are watching the bomb after it's planted. Am I supposed to plant and go to the other teams spawn? Funny.

Despising cheaters since 1970
Activision Ambassador

in reply to bighead14701

cranium2001 wrote:

I love when people call me or others a f'ing camper in search and rescue when I/they are watching the bomb after it's planted. Am I supposed to plant and go to the other teams spawn? Funny.

Those complaints confuse me. They're quite possible the most idiotic statements you can make. Same goes for DEMO or SABO. What's purpose of planting the bomb if I'm not going to defend it.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

It's part of what allows many of the "ninja" players to succeed so much more than one would think. (The ones that go prone right behind the person planting the bomb, then the person who planted it just immediately ups and leaves, allowing the "ninja" to immediately defuse it.) Rather than plant, then actually stay to defend it, the person just leaves to just ever so slightly pad their K/D or something.

Level 24

in reply to Ghamorra

Im not sure I agree, maybe your right about trying sooo hard that you lose control. But I have FFA games daily where I find myself dying 4-6 times in a row off crap spawns or other ridiculous chained deaths and lose 1st place with only a minute of so left something in me snaps and I'll find myself going in to "the zone", everything after that point is heightened senses of awareness. I'll find myself going on a 10 kill gun streak in under a minute running around like a maniac. I'm sure other people experience this too, where you reach the point of either raging or digging down deep and pulling a win out. Of course FFA is the one mode where only you control the outcome. If your team has varying levels of desperation, for lack of a better term, then I can see comeback being a lot harder.

Level 3

in reply to FWCmurda

Some players can dig deep and pull out the win. I played tennis during the spring after basketball season. I wasn't by any means the best, I didn't even start playing until my Junior year, yet I found that when going up against greater odds I played better. Sometimes all it takes is having your back against the wall to kick you into high gear and producing results. Like being down a set and at match point but coming back to win it all.

There are players out there who just play better when facing certain defeat. For the most part though you'll find that when someone is losing they get mad and start making rash decisions and playing out of anger. That doesn't help anyone.

Level 75

Studios