Ghosts should not show K/D or win/loss stats!

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Ghosts should not show K/D or win/loss stats!

This has probably been said loads before in relation to BO2, but no harm in repeating the message for the benefit of Ghosts...

To prevent players padding their stats (specifically KD and WL) and actually play the objective, then the ONLY stats which should count are those related to the specific game mode objectives.  For example:

Domination: Captures and defends

Kill Confirmed: Kills confirmed or denied

Demolition: plants or defuses

Capture the Flag: flags captured or retrieved

Team Death Match: Kills per game (but not deaths, assuming deaths don't affect own-team score)

My point is, by explicitly linking stats with game objectives, then people may actually start playing the objective to enhance their stats and hence 'standing' in the community...

R

Level 3
33 REPLIES

Re: Ghosts should not show K/D or win/loss stats!

in reply to MajorMess

MajorMess wrote:

This has probably been said loads before in relation to BO2, but no harm in repeating the message for the benefit of Ghosts...

To prevent players padding their stats (specifically KD and WL) and actually play the objective, then the ONLY stats which should count are those related to the specific game mode objectives.  For example:

Domination: Captures and defends

Kill Confirmed: Kills confirmed or denied

Demolition: plants or defuses

Capture the Flag: flags captured or retrieved

Team Death Match: Kills per game (but not deaths, assuming deaths don't affect own-team score)

My point is, by explicitly linking stats with game objectives, then people may actually start playing the objective to enhance their stats and hence 'standing' in the community...

R

Nah... kills matter in objective game modes, too. A dead man caps no flags.

Also, consider this... you play domination and a good team may only get 2 caps. They may not even get many defends because they are killing the other team before they get close enough for it to be called a defend.

Individual stats in a team game are meaningless unless one plays with an "I" in "team".

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Sorry to disagree but...

a) Regarding the first point A dead man cannot contribute to *any* game mode objective, and so KD (beyond TDM) is not objective specific.  That is, as a statistic, KD tells you nothing about the player's contribution to the team effort.  Given the endemic problem of players ignoring the objective and padding their own KD stat, I do feel that KD should be removed to encourage objective play.

b) Regarding the example of a Domination match, if the other team players are being killed before they can get to cap a flag, then their flag capture stats don't improve (they were trying, but failed to achieve the objective).  Meanwhile, if the other team players are focused on successfully defending their captured flags, then they will boost their 'flag defend' stats nicely.

c) Regarding the 'I' in 'team', I'm afraid I don't follow your argument.  If an individual captures/defends a flag, plants/defuses a bomb etc, then their own personal stats in these domains will reflect their efforts (regardless of whether the team wins or loses).  I.e. their own personal capture/defend/plant/defuse etc stats increase.  Therefore, the 'I' in 'team' does reflect their own personal commitment to game objective play.

Level 3

in reply to MajorMess

MajorMess wrote:

Sorry to disagree but...

a) Regarding the first point A dead man cannot contribute to *any* game mode objective, and so KD (beyond TDM) is not objective specific.  That is, as a statistic, KD tells you nothing about the player's contribution to the team effort.  Given the endemic problem of players ignoring the objective and padding their own KD stat, I do feel that KD should be removed to encourage objective play.

b) Regarding the example of a Domination match, if the other team players are being killed before they can get to cap a flag, then their flag capture stats don't improve (they were trying, but failed to achieve the objective).  Meanwhile, if the other team players are focused on successfully defending their captured flags, then they will boost their 'flag defend' stats nicely.

c) Regarding the 'I' in 'team', I'm afraid I don't follow your argument.  If an individual captures/defends a flag, plants/defuses a bomb etc, then their own personal stats in these domains will reflect their efforts (regardless of whether the team wins or loses).  I.e. their own personal capture/defend/plant/defuse etc stats increase.  Therefore, the 'I' in 'team' does reflect their own personal commitment to game objective play.

Disagree away... every opinion is fine... even when wrong.

a) KDR alone does not indicate a player's contribution. Neither do caps/defends. Neither does SPM. They are components of quantifying a player's contribution. What's equally endemic is the misguided belief someone is ignoring the objective when they are not behaving in a way someone else considers proper. KD matters in all game modes because if the other team is dead... the killed part of KDR... they aren't securing any objectives. ICYMI, COD is a shooter.

b) You are aware opponents must be within a certain radius of the domination point for a kill to be counted as a defend, right? The point is, a good "team" will kill the enemy before they even get within that radius. People will have low defends but the enemy will have secured nothing. This will cause people with your misguided POV to presume they aren't PTFO. The reality is... they are. Just not in way you consider proper.

c) It's apparent you often are the "I" in "team" or you would understand what is meant by it. The guy who keeps rushing to 3 cap when the "team" has positions covered and two points captured thinks he's PTFO and it's his team that's the issue. Way to be the "I".

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to MajorMess

Why in the hell would they ever take out wins/losses? The entire point of playing a match is trying to win . Hell K/D does matter a lot in pretty much any game mode, sure some players will pad their stats but that doesn't take away the validity of the stat itself. I can't think of any game mode where someone's K/D wouldn't directly effect the outcome of a match. SnD, CTF, KC, HQ, Dom all are effected pretty directly by how well your team does in the kills/deaths department. If you're team isn't killing the enemy and is dying constantly how do you expect to win any game mode? If you're teammates are dying left and right and getting limited kills that leads to larger timespaces for the enemy to do their thing with the objective. Assuming of course your team was on the wining side, which probably wouldn't be the case if they had a lack of kills and an abundance of deaths.

If someone on your team isn't getting the kills to keep enemies off of the objective than your going to lose, plain and simple. In a perfect world everyone would play the objective first and worry about their killstreaks or K/D second, but this isn't a perfect world. Player behavior doesn't detract from the validity of the stats in question.

Level 8

in reply to MrAdaptability

Search and Destroy

Domination

Capture the flag

Demolition

Free for All

Hardpoint

You can win all of those while having a KD of 0.5 in those games -- because of YOUR effort in taking the objectives

You can lose all the same game modes with a KD of 5.0 -- because of YOUR lack of  effort in taking the objectives

THEN, in team deathmatch, going 20-12 is far better than going 10-3.

1.67 KD can be better than 3.34 KD in team deathmatch -- simply because 20-12 yields 8 positive points, while 10-3 only yields 7 positive points.

Not to mention that going 10-10 may be better than going 10-3, if you get an UAV or UAV-jammer or VSAT that prevents your teammates from dying 4 times, killing the enemy instead:

Score 70-68 is better than 66-65 (-4 kills -3 deaths: -4 kills from teammates -7 deaths for you +4 deaths from teammates)

Level 28

in reply to ADW1983

As a single player you'd be correct. I'm speaking of an entire team that has a negative K/D. There pretty much no way if your entire team is negative that you would win a match simply because that means your team was being stifled from even getting to the objective or doing what needed to be done, simple as that really. My point is that getting kills is completely necessary for a team to win, if your whole team is doing poorly in the killing department then chances are high you're team is getting crushed in the objective department as well.

Level 8

in reply to MrAdaptability

Sorry, but wrong again.

Search and Destroy

Domination

Capture the flag

Demolition

Free for All

Kill Confirmed

Hardpoint

can all easily be won with a 0.5 KD across your team -- for as long as your team completes the objectives, probably employing smoke grenades, group rushing and flak jackets.

In fact,

Domination

Capture the flag

Hardpoint

can all be won without a single kill across your team.

Level 28

in reply to MajorMess

Stats like KD and W/L are all ego based. For one, no one individual is solely responsible for their team's win. It's a team effort that wins the match for the team. Secondly, I play mostly randoms. So I have no say whatsoever of who I'm teamed up with. My being matched with a winning team most of the time is pure luck. I'm fortunate when I get a team of good players who are mature enough to play the objective on an objective based match. But, by the same token, I can't take credit for the win since wins are team affected.

Bottom line, I play for fun. Yea, it feels better when my teawinds. But I'm happy when I have fun playing, too. I find COD is more fun when I play to support my team.

Level 21

in reply to MajorMess

I disagree to an extent.  Some stats aren't as relevant to some game modes, but others are always relevant such as W/L. Sure, 1 individual does not usually determine the outcome of the game, but having a positive W/L ratio will more often than not tell you how helpful that person is to a team. Over time, this number should reflect more accurately how helpful that person is for playing with teams, partial teams, or just randoms.

I do believe K/D is a good stat to have no matter what the game mode is. If you are playing domination and are 2 and 20, that means you contributed to a lot of scorestreaks which in turn hurt your team.  That is not helpful at all. It needs to be one stat amongst many that help you determine how good or how helpful a player will be.  For example, having a 2/1 K/D ratio in a game is a positive K/D ratio but it may not have helped the team very much. 

Regarding TDM and only showing Kills and not deaths.  What's the point? I've seen way too many people who lead their team in kills but also lead the entire lobby in deaths (ie - 23/30).  All you did there was not really help your team and rely on some of your teammates that camp (which you probably hate) to have a better K/D than you so that they can counteract your negative K/D.  K/D is an important stat in TDM and in my opinion is important to have alongside of SPM.  When you combine the 2 stats it tells me a lot about the player. I know that if they have a high SPM they likely do more running and if that is combined with a high K/D that means they are probably really good at it. One stat by itself is not good enough and only half of a stat is even worse.  Deaths do matter as every death contributes to the enemies scorestreak which in turn can change the game.

Level 33

Studios