How accurate is K/D?

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

How accurate is K/D?

The highest K/D on record broken by XxBonavaxX13 had an amazing K/D. 21.83! Thats well over what can be believed. Most of you probably think he camped for it, but I don't really know. Whether he camps or rushes, he still obtained it.

But heres the thing: Does this make him the most skill player of all time?

K/D is a tool used to measure a player's kills and deaths. K/D is created by taking the total amount of kills somebody has and dividing it by the total number of deaths somebody has.  The number you get is your Kill/Death Ratio.

It is not certain whether or not it matters, it is pretty hard to find out a logical answer. Many people have came up with ways to try and say why it matters and why it doesn't. Its pretty hard to fight each side for it.

Here's an example:

Somebody goes on the CoD Forums and gives his reasonings as to why K/D does matter. His explanations are logical, and make sense.

Then, somebody else goes on the CoD Forums and gives his reasonings as to why K/D doesn't matter. Still just as logical as the other post, but there's a problem.

Both posts are just as logical and agreeable with one another, but if somebody takes one side, he can't really fight the other reasonings because they really have no connection or link between each other.

But, how can it determine skill? Well, it pretty much says how many kills you have for every death, so why doesn't it matter? It hard to say. Skill can only be expressed in a functional way. Is somebody who camps that has the same score as somebody who rushed just as skilled?

For what some players do, and the gamemodes they play, it matters at a different level. TDM players really are just going for kills so somebody's K/D score at the end of the game really does matter. Because in TDM your going for nothing but kills. But how?

Well usually in games players on all teams have a different amount of skill. The one player we are focusing on can correspond with all this. His runs into a player, and the player he is going to face has more skill than him, but all depending on the weapon he uses he probably will lose that gunfight. Then after that death he gets a kill because he runs into a player with less skill. This can go on and have a trillion mixes to it, but when it comes to that, that one player must learn how to dodge the more skilled players and run into the less skilled players.

There are 2 other stat factors that can have the same power as K/D: W/L Ratio and Score Per Minute. If these 3 are linked, then yes it really can matter. High K/D, high SPM, and high W/L probably means he is good and that his K/D does matter. Because his SPM means he plays actively not campy, and W/L means he doesn't rage quit  or verse noobs. Again, there are many mixes to this.

So, if you think about, K/D can only matter if it has SPM and W/L as a backup. Let me know what your opinions on this is, and thanks for reading.

Level 1
36 REPLIES

Re: How accurate is K/D?

in reply to TwistorNation

I am not a great believer in stats.

-W/L is greatly influenced by whether or not you play with a clan and the quality of that clan.

-K/D's reflection of your skill depends on which game mode you play.

Both can be meaningless when you take dashboarding into account, at least on the Xbox360.

SPM isn't in Ghosts.

I honestly think people pay too much attention to stats. That being said, someone who has an above 20 KDR and is legit has me in awe.

Level 12

First off, very well put.

I believe that stats such as these are a gauge. It gives people a general idea of the players overall ability in that stat.

I also believe that the importance of these stats is different for every player. For a "once a week" player, these stats probably don't hold to much weight on them. For a player who plays competitively, these are incredibly important, and all stats count.

In a nutshell, the stats matter as much as you personally believe in their importance.

Level 33

k/dr in and of itself is not accurate. it can be easily manipulated in various ways. Same as with w/r. Not even spm is really idicative of skill or performance or how a player plays.

I have played in bo2 as a total campy player and had a higher spm than those that rushed around for kills. I have also had the highest k/dr in a match yet been at the bottom of the lobby before.

individually the stats mean nothing and can be manipulated. taken together they give some idea about skill but not a complete picture as toward skill level or how that player may do on an individual game all the time.

I have often gone on 3+ k/dr games while my overall k/dr is only 1.10 because I also play obj games like dom where I don't care at all what my k/dr ends up for those matches.

Level 70

I dont pay KDR much mind at all. I look at win/loss and try to work out if there are people running in a group. Even then I take all that with a grain of salt as stats are so easily warped. You can have a monster win/loss from playing Infected all the time, you can dashboard to preserve stats etc etc etc.

They are an indication of what you MIGHT be facing, but no more than that. And this is before we factor in connectivity...

Level 31

when it comes to objective games, sometimes you give up kd, for the win, like say there are tons of tags for KC, and you grab a ton and end up dying but keep grabbing...your team wins, you have a negative kdr , but a ton of tags....then theres dom when you maybe the only person going for  the pts.

Level 3

I liked all your comments. Feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Level 1

K/D is crap to a degree. It can tell if you are a somewhat good player, but there's that gray area of .75-1.5 K/D where players are either really good or bad. If a person is dying for the objective constantly, he's/she's always in the action and in the heat of oncoming bullets, then they deserve to be called good if they earn the right. But their K/D is .7. What really defines a good player? That is the question.

Level 43
Highlighted

Using a combination of average kills per game + kill death ratio is usually a good indicator on TDM.

Win/Loss doesn't really prove anything on this game where you are more likely to be thrown into a loss than a lobby.

Other modes are better served by the old Score Per Minute function although that wasn't exactly infallible.

Level 21

in reply to Carvalho16

I am a random that takes a 5 minutes break every 3-4 games. I also do not hesitate to leave a lobby after a match because I don't like the next map, or for some reason didn't like the playstyle of the lobby.

Now in Ghosts I am often stuck into a game that has 2 minutes or less to go, so my KpG suffers.

I agree the more stats you look at the clearer the picture, but I think stats are very misleading. I like to keep a distracted eye on my own because I use them as a gauge of my performance but I almost never look at someone else's.

Level 12

Studios