Is this the death of tactical equipment...?

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Is this the death of tactical equipment...?

Playing through all the different game modes this last week and I've realised that nobody is using tacticals or grenades.  When was the last time you were flash banged? or for that matter, when did you know there was a guy in a room waiting for you and you breached with concussions and frags?

Aside from occasional trophies, and strangely a surprising use of cannister bombs, I very rarely see any flashbangs, or explosives at all for that matter.  (except obviously IEDs which have forced Sitrep to become a permanent loadout addition on HC mode), seems most people take extra perk points instead.

This may be a sweeping generalisation but seems to me Ghosts is all about the run and gun (or camp and snipe).  Guess I need to fire up the old BLOPS2 and reminisce storming the rooms playing Headquarters/Hardpoint on Hijack and Nuketown.

Level 4
19 REPLIES

Re: Is this the death of tactical equipment...?

in reply to Goddorn

If you want to use more than one lethal or tactical per life you have to give up 3 (Lethal + Extra) or 2 (Tactical + Extra) perk points. Also, the geniuses at IW thought having scavenger only pick up bullets and throwing knives would be a good idea so even if you do like using them, the only way you can use them again is to die. Not really much incentive to use anything but a primary weapon.

Level 10

in reply to Fang_1192

A fair point, and you can never have enough perk points now that you can combine anything.  I certainly keep finding myself carrying one weapon and the rest perks.  But there is no map or game mode that would naturally lend itself to hand grenades or tacs as an essential piece of equipment.

Level 4

in reply to Goddorn

Because they are not meant to be essential parts of a loadout. The gun is, not the equipment and nor should it be ever.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

Broadly speaking I agree, we're all sitting here playing COD to shoot people, but the point I'm trying to make is is that there is rarely a situation where you think "I really wish I had a flashbang right now".  I'm not saying they should be standard equipment, I like the freedom of the new loadout system, the point is is it that I feel they are becoming non-equipment.

Incidentally, obviously my eyes are not as good as yours, but I once played a match on Strikezone, using an SMG loadout, and I was almost entirely killed by only IEDs, it was ridiculous! about 5 IEDs.

Personally I use them all the time, since you can chuck them in any corner, long grass, on vehicles (or on the ceilings for that matter), your eyes may be good but I get a lot of kills with IEDs.

Level 4

in reply to Goddorn

My eyes are far from good, I just take more time when moving about in area's that I have learned to be common places for IED placements. I still die to them from time to time when someone randomly places them in and unexpected area. But when I do that is my fault for not paying enough attention at that point.

I never needed nor liked the flashbang for really the are only effective as room entrance devices to stun anyone in the room, in the open they have always been fairly moot and not important. If you dont enter rooms/buildings much there is little reason to need them.

Sure they may be handy at times in the open and people still use them as such; but I tend to not carry mine since having more perks is better than a single use equipment.

Level 70

in reply to Goddorn

I actually like that there's less Lethal/Tactical usage. Not to say I want it gone entirely, but in ones like MW3 and BO2, you could barely go for that long each spawn before you were hit with a Flashbang, Concussion, Bouncing Betty, Claymore, EMP, Frag, Semtex, or C4 (or several) especially with people just constantly, randomly Hail Mary'ing them halfway across the map (ones that could anyway)..

Level 24

in reply to Goddorn

The only one I see a lot of is the Thermobaric, because for some reason it is a lethal tactical (what the what?).

Fact is, if you want to be able to Move on this game, you have to give up gear for perks. I have only a few classes with lethals or tacticals, I have had to give them and secondaries up for enough stealth perks to be able to move around the board with some effectiveness.

Campers don't have a need for them, typically, they just set up IEDs.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

There are just so many perks, who in there right mind wouldn't take a few extra perk points? and there are 4-5 two point perks that you'd always be happy to add to your loadout - sleight of hand, agility, dead silence etc.

Level 4

in reply to Goddorn

When was the last time I was flashed.. just light night in about half the games I played. so no they are not dead at all.

and SR is not a permanent need even in HC.. I don't even think I have it on any of my classes on any of my 6 toons at the moment.. just use your eyes and slow down.

Hijacked and Noobtown were nothing but rush maps. Fun the first 2 times you played on them for a day.. stupid the rest of the time for they played the same every time thereafter.

Level 70

Studios