It's time to kill the mini-map…

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

It's time to kill the mini-map…

First off… this is not about starting a flame war or another pointless Core versus Hardcore debate. It's an attempt to talk frankly about the one things which cause the most angst in COD… the mini-map.

It's time to kill it.

Without it… the games will be slow and boring.

Nope. I play HC a lot… 90% of the time, TBH… so, I'm used to it not being there. And it really has little to do with the pace of the game. HC KC  and Dom play as fast as Core. The players, the mode, and the map design drive pace more than anything. I bet better Core players use it for map navigation and quick reference, anyway. A skill that doesn't need a mini-map… once you truly pick it up.

But it shows you where the enemy is.

A little… but not much. You don't show up with a suppressed weapon and the guy is just as likely waiting for you to chicken-head around a corner. They know you know. Same applies to the UAV/SatCom. Regardless… you have the full map and communication trumps a mini-map. Always.

But it shows where your mates are.

Again… a little. It's a limited FOV. The full map is much more useful, TBH. And there's the little thing called communication. It trumps everything. Always. Six days a week and twice on Sunday.

More important… Ghosts is giving you some great ways to find enemies. The new sound system gives directionality and now an idea of distance, too. The way they shape the sound is great. Plus, there are now AI call outs. Amazing how communication keeps coming up, isn't it?

Simple truth… the mini-map is a crutch. It's COD's security blanket.

And it's holding the game back.

It's time to kill it and button up the big-boy pants.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75
29 REPLIES

Re: It's time to kill the mini-map…

in reply to RAN Kismet

every fps has a mini  map why should cod not have one

Level 4

in reply to RedNight1291

i like the way it is in hardcore modes it is there if you EARN it.

which is the way it should be

unlike core where you just always have a security blanket as the op stated

Level 2

in reply to RedNight1291

RedNight129 wrote:

every fps has a mini  map why should cod not have one

Hmmm... I dunno.

Oh, wait... I know.

Please read the OP.

You're welcome.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

I think they sould keep th mini map, but make some changes to it. Maybe they could take off the red dots that pop up on the mini map and instead make it a perk to where you can see where the enemy is firing at displayed on the mini map. same thing with turrets and equipment.

Level 2

in reply to _call_of_duty_f

Making the mini-map a perk is an interesting idea.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to RedNight1291

COD 2 didn't

Level 10

in reply to RAN Kismet

I remember the good old days of cod2, no spy plane-red dot crap at all. You were forced to learn the maps and the tendencies of your opponents which takes time. I agree that it's more interesting without a map at all, I have become a HC addict because of that and the quickness of getting a kill or getting killed. Makes you think about it more IMO.

Sadly, I don't think they will kill it though. Maybe bump it up higher in the score streak list? I don't know. Seems like it's here to stay. Some people just need training wheels to play games. Unfortunately this leads to people thinking "If they are using it, I need to use it or else i'm at a disadvantage". So you get tons of UAV's. I think the Ghost nerf caused this to go extreme in BO2.

Level 48

in reply to ZvErS

I like what they are doing with Ghosts. One UAV(satcom) means that only enemies in you line of sight show up on your radar. Two is the equilivant of a normal UAV.

Level 2

in reply to _call_of_duty_f

Having to get two does seem to balance it out. It does require some team work too.

Level 48

Studios