Maybe a 2-year development cycle might result in better COD

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Maybe a 2-year development cycle might result in better COD

I know I'm dreaming when I suggest the idea of the devs for COD to change to 2-year development cycles for the game. Too much greed is getting in the way of the idea. But it might result in better, more stable releases of COD. The fact that lag keeps getting worse with each new release tells me there isn't much research and development along the lines of lag and matchmaking being carried out.

I'm getting the impression that the devs have a secret death wish for the COD series with these ever worsening releases. I'd rather they spend the time testing the game online over long distances between players to make sure the lag comp isn't ruining the game experience. Or maybe the matchmaking needs an overhaul. Whatever is causing the same issues of lag and matchmaking, I wish they would figure it out and make the game play better before releasing it. Maybe a beta might be in order. But, something has to change. I can't see anyone putting up with a laggier and more unbalanced game when BO3 comes out.

There needs to be a change in development if the devs expect us to continue to take the COD series seriously. I'd rather wait a few more months so the devs can fix known issues, then buy the game and spend the first three months playing frustrating match after frustrating match.

Level 21
17 REPLIES

Re: Maybe a 2-year development cycle might result in better COD

in reply to RunAndGun1

It is a two year cycle. As soon as they launch a title they're in production of the next. IW is already working on the next game. I would imagine that the concepts are being drafted as much as 3 years in advance, coding and building start two years ahead of launch, and the testing and marketing phase starts the year of it's November release. The issue though is that there's no testing, at least on a wide scale that's done by those who actually care about it's performance. Sure the devs test the game heavily but you can't simulate the results of a widespread BETA test. Most don't like the idea as it's expensive to do so and you'll find few who care enough to report the issues. Most people do BETA for the sake of bragging rights but I feel that CoD has suffered so much from functionality issues that it's worth at least a try.

I have to say though, Ghosts works pretty well functionally. No lag or major bugs like Black Ops II or MW3 had.

Level 75

in reply to RunAndGun1

They shouldn't have a set release date at all. Just release it when its ready.

Level 35

in reply to RunAndGun1

Theoretically speaking, the longer they take on the game, it may very well improve the quality. At the same time, I can guess that the forum will have just as many complaints and criticism no matter how long the developers have. Especially since a lot of players wish the choices the developers made, cater to themselves. And when internet gaming will most likely always never be perfect.

I personally enjoy Ghosts. Not saying it doesn't frustrate me at all. Considering Activision can keep doing this year after year, I've grown accustom to the Nov release and look forward to the switch. And as long as its selling, they're making money, and as you already know, it won't change.

You also have to take into account, every title CoD has released has players that call it their favorite. And even more so when the next game comes out.

Level 75

in reply to RunAndGun1

RunAndGun1 wrote:

I know I'm dreaming when I suggest the idea of the devs for COD to change to 2-year development cycles for the game

So you're asking them to do .... what they are already doing?

Level 28

in reply to RunAndGun1

I'll add that IW and Trey should work simulaneously and cooperatively for a release every two years.  You automatically double the resources and manpower.  Who would doubt you'd get a better, more smooth running game. 

Level 40

in reply to Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

I'll add that IW and Trey should work simulaneously and cooperatively for a release every two years.  You automatically double the resources and manpower.  Who would doubt you'd get a better, more smooth running game.

It's not like the games are stark contrasts from each other. Activision lays down a very specific model for them to follow, the games are basically the same picture painted different colors. So why not have them work together combining ideas and resources. With the DLC they release each year they could stretch it out and have each game go through a two year cycle with the DLC being big enough to motivate players for another year.

Level 75

in reply to RunAndGun1

completely agree a longer development time would make a much more polished game i mean look at gtaV for example... oh wait

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

I guess there's some relevance to compare it to other games.  But we just don't know until a two year cycle is tried.

My guess is you'll get a much more refined game. 

Level 40
Highlighted

in reply to RunAndGun1

PLEASE tell me I'm not actually reading a lot of posts trying to insinuate that a longer development cycle (with more resources and talent invested) doesn't yield better results.

Because that would just be sad.

Level 28

Studios