Micro Transactions - How They Should Be Done

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Micro Transactions - How They Should Be Done

I think Activision need to take a long hard look at themselves because their player base is dwindling by the year and micro transactions seem to be increasing by the year which I don't think is a good combo for the long run but I do think there is way for both players and Activision to have their cake and eat it.

First off its pretty clear that micro transactions are becoming more frequent and I don't think its long till we have a call of duty infested with them with Activision having a micro transaction only game with COD online in china and a statement from the last financial meeting where Bobby Kotick said we have changed COD into a 3 year development time with one of the reasons being so each studio can spend more time making high profit DLC and Micro transactions.

I think that micro transactions should be used as short cuts rather than pay to get only DLC, so every single camo, player skins, extra custom class slots, playercard emblems and titles, reticle's and possibly even weapons could be able to be earned in game through a redesigned carefully worked reward system that rewards people that play the game a lot with out giving out advantages to those people, but if you don't want to or have time to grind to earn everything then if want extra slots or a certain camo's whether that be red tiger that ships with the game or duck camo that comes after release then you can pay for it without having to spend time doing multiple challenges to earn a certain amount of custom points to earn it in game.

I think this kind of system will give players incentive to keep playing the game as it feels like your gaining big rewards by getting stuff for free and at the same time Activision will have more players online, less second hand sells, more map pack sales and lets face it more money from micro transactions because lets face it most people in today's world are lazy take the easy option.

What are your thoughts on micro transactions as its clear they are hear to stay how would you like to see them integrated?

Level 16
48 REPLIES

Re: Micro Transactions - How They Should Be Done

in reply to alexjt22

Micro-transactions should be limited to cosmetic enhancements only. They should not include anything that can possible affect game play. A good example is the Wolf skin for Riley. It should not be used to buy upgraded weapons or extra custom classes.

Micro-transactions have ruined gaming on the Android and IOS platforms.

I for one, won't be purchasing camos/skins in the future and if Activision adds the ability to purchase game changing upgrades, I will be leaving the COD series behind.

Level 5

in reply to Rambler330

As far as I am concerned this is my last CoD because of this practice they are trying to do. Soon the game will be just the core game(free to play) and everything else will be dlc and mt's(pay to win). That way they don't have to do as much each year around toward development of the game..except focus on the dlc and mt's. The china CoD online is a test model to see how well it would work. Next is to try and find a way to advertize and hype it up for the rest of the world to accept it. with the increase in MT's that happening in the game its not far off from being what I said and warned it would eventually be back in past games when they started doing this.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

trialstardragon wrote:

As far as I am concerned this is my last CoD because of this practice they are trying to do. Soon the game will be just the core game(free to play) and everything else will be dlc and mt's(pay to win). That way they don't have to do as much each year around toward development of the game..except focus on the dlc and mt's. The china CoD online is a test model to see how well it would work. Next is to try and find a way to advertize and hype it up for the rest of the world to accept it. with the increase in MT's that happening in the game its not far off from being what I said and warned it would eventually be back in past games when they started doing this.

I agree, I think its terrible how it is now and how it looks to be getting worse with each instalment. I think if they implemented Micro transaction the way I said it people wouldn't have a big issue and would in fact it would be beneficial for them in the long run instead of trying to nickel & dime everyone now which is turning people away from the game.

Level 16

in reply to alexjt22
  • Only cosmetic.
  • Not content that is first locked in the disc and then you can buy to open them.
  • Cheap.... something like camo can be done in 20 minutes.
Level 64

in reply to alexjt22

So you think you want people paying for things they should be earning? WHAT?

No, Micro DLC should be limited to non-gameplay impacting add ons such as Camos and backgrounds. The Extra Slots they are offering is an insult to all of us.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

nicedrewishfela wrote:

So you think you want people paying for things they should be earning? WHAT?

No, Micro DLC should be limited to non-gameplay impacting add ons such as Camos and backgrounds. The Extra Slots they are offering is an insult to all of us.

No, just the ability to pay for Camos, Backgrounds, Extra Slots ETC but also the ability to earn every single piece single piece by playing the game just like we used to (10 slots was reward for 10th prestige remember and that's the kind of reward system I am talking about here)

So what I am saying is if you don't want to grind like I am sure quite a lot of people don't then they can just buy these things but if you play the game enough then you will get everything for free by earning it in game including content after release that way everyone wins the customer gets what it used to have & more and Activision gets money from the dumb fcks that want to buy short cuts with micro transactions.

Its nothing to do about charging people with what they used to earn just the opposite I want every single bit of content including post release content to be able to be earned by simply just playing the game but I also know that Activision are only just getting started with Micro-Transactions, its easy to say get rid of them but finding a compromise is what I am talking about here (something I don't think most people get on this forum) a compromise where both parties win.

Level 16

in reply to alexjt22

alexjt22 wrote:

So what I am saying is if you don't want to grind like I am sure quite a lot of people don't then they can just buy these things but if you play the game enough then you will get everything for free by earning it in game including content after release that way everyone wins the customer gets what it used to have & more and Activision gets money from the dumb fcks that want to buy short cuts with micro transactions

Harsh!!!

but you make an excellent point (imho).  In another game they gave players, who paid extra, all the gun unlocks (as a bonus along with DLC etc...)

However, those guns can also be unlocked by those who do not wish to pay extra, and go through the grind.

Summary (as you have indicated): Everyone has the opportunity to get everything, but those who want it faster can simply pay for it (camos, skins, etc...)

Activision Ambassador

rlbl wrote:

alexjt22 wrote:

So what I am saying is if you don't want to grind like I am sure quite a lot of people don't then they can just buy these things but if you play the game enough then you will get everything for free by earning it in game including content after release that way everyone wins the customer gets what it used to have & more and Activision gets money from the dumb fcks that want to buy short cuts with micro transactions

Harsh!!!

but you make an excellent point (imho).  In another game they gave players, who paid extra, all the gun unlocks (as a bonus along with DLC etc...)

However, those guns can also be unlocked by those who do not wish to pay extra, and go through the grind.

Summary (as you have indicated): Everyone has the opportunity to get everything, but those who want it faster can simply pay for it (camos, skins, etc...)

your right it was harsh and in fact totally wrong I just got off from playing ghosts and saw 50%+ of every lobby owning multiple pieces of DLC and probably had dumb fucks in my mind as I don't feel its right the way it is done now.

But yeah you have it spot on.

Level 16

in reply to alexjt22

I understand your frustration with DLC, but your is counterproductive toward your aimed goal.

First of all, I'll grant that the intent of DLC is NOT to force players to pay more. You'll have to look up where I explained this in the past. DLC is the result of a real economic phenomenon known as "marginal utility." There are players who would pay more for the game than the current price of the game. The bulk of the community, however, is not willing to pay more. To capture that extra potential income, they offer DLC (which costs very little more to produce).

However, I think the reason ATVI decided to charge for extra CACs has to do with their interpretation of player data regarding CAC slots. The overwhelming majority of the community never reaches 10th prestige. In fact, I doubt the bulk of the community gets to 5th prestige. So when you look at the median number of slots used by the community, you probably get five per player. Thus, in their minds, offering six CAC slots is offering you more slots than the average player will ever use.

Those that get to 10th prestige and normally have 10 slots are the players that put in far more than the median amount of time playing the game. This gives such players an advantage when it comes to experience and unlocked weapons, perks, etc. Plus the above median player are probably your most ardent fans. Which means they are probably the largest consumers of DLC.

All of that combines in the minds of the actuaries/statisticians deciphering the data the impression that those that play the most are the most likely to purchase game add-ons. If you look at non-FPS games, that's probably easily recognizable as ... true. Combine that with marginal utility and, from a business perspective, it is actually a smart decision. Even if it alienates some players, they will still earn more revenue.

That's how modern business models work. Can't say I like it or that it is "fair," but they do have shareholders to answer to. In fact, I'll just flat out say it - I don't like it and if you're going to apply this particular method to increasing revenue, you also have to look at the rest of economic theory. Doing that, there is a dead end ahead. Perhaps that is what modern MBAs are taught ... but it does not account for how some companies remain vibrant and very profitable for decades by providing their customers with more product and service than the customer bargained for.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

Studios