Level 2

Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

in reply to Scotland-Rules

so true

Level 2

scotland-rules wrote:

The sight lines are gone on almost every maps because of the fact the devs put so much useless junk around the place. Take big maps in BO2 like Turbine, they've cut off most big sight lines by a bridge, trees, mountains. Look at aftermath...its a big map but plays like a small one.

Those are two excellent examples - out of many - that made BO2 such a crap release, in my book. Their only two medium sized maps, and they took away virtually every line of sight for snipers with dipping landscapes and clutter. How daft.

I miss the days of W@W and MW2 where I could use Overkill and switch between running and sniping with a flip of the switch. Making the match a thousand times more fun. Ghosts looks like its bringing back maps with multiple lines of sight. I'm looking forward to sniping again. I've hardly done any sniping since MW2 because of small maps and clutter.

Level 21

CQC maps also lack dead ends and are full of flanks (esp. flanks in would be defensable positions), clutter (esp. in corners and would be good hiding spots), with an abundance of excessive barrier sizes on all objects, plants, and anything else that can be used to hide in. The homes in BO2 are a joke when they have atleast 4 diferent entrances. Everytime I play BO2, I feel like I'm trapped in an arena. The maps are so simple, without all the nooks and crannies of a more diverse map. It's just a clutterfk rushfest with no real strategy or freedom of play style. The game really only caters to one play style and kind of imposes it with its Ghost perk requirement. I think the exclusion of unlimited sprinting and shotguns that aren't such hitmarker machines like in the last CoD with good maps (MW2) already indicates how the maps on Ghosts will be if Infinity Ward thinks that their inclusion will be OP and unbalanced. If Ghosts is the same, I'm going BF4.

Level 6
Highlighted

in reply to ModernWelfare

ModernWelfare wrote:

CQC maps also lack dead ends and are full of flanks (esp. flanks in would be defensable positions), clutter (esp. in corners and would be good hiding spots), with an abundance of excessive barrier sizes on all objects, plants, and anything else that can be used to hide in. The homes in BO2 are a joke when they have atleast 4 diferent entrances. Everytime I play BO2, I feel like I'm trapped in an arena. The maps are so simple, without all the nooks and crannies of a more diverse map. It's just a clutterfk rushfest with no real strategy or freedom of play style. The game really only caters to one play style and kind of imposes it with its Ghost perk requirement. I think the exclusion of unlimited sprinting and shotguns that aren't such hitmarker machines like in the last CoD with good maps (MW2) already indicates how the maps on Ghosts will be if Infinity Ward thinks that their inclusion will be OP and unbalanced. If Ghosts is the same, I'm going BF4.

This is very well said. I too will stop playing ghosts early on if its as tiny as BO2. I'll be trying out BF4 for sure.

Activision Ambassador

EDIT: More sightlines, choke points, and a lot less tight corners is a step in the right direction. Surely, there are going to be arena-styled maps in Ghosts, but I hope that at least 60% aren't.

Level 6

Also, where is the verticality, innovation and diversity? For example, there are only 3 maps with precipitation, 1 night map, and 5 old maps. I'd add this to my last post, but I'm getting error messages. Also, some houses have 6 entrances! I'd rather have extreme camping than play style restrictions because it makes the guns and maps crap. We need much more stealth! Camping isn't so bad if you rely on your eyes and ears to become aware of your surroundings rather than play pac man on your radar. But BO2 is the reckless rusher's paradise - no doubt!

Level 6

the 3 lane linair design is getting boring and predictable

But the ideal map can't be made.

There are to much factors to keep in mind

And bigger maps only make it harder. It may all fit in there but then no high traffic area's anymore

A map getting close was Derail from MW2 in my eyes.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaSS is OP. SaND get's everywhere
Level 59

in reply to dtuchpunk

dtuchpunk wrote:

the 3 lane linair design is getting boring and predictable

But the ideal map can't be made.

There are to much factors to keep in mind

And bigger maps only make it harder. It may all fit in there but then no high traffic area's anymore

A map getting close was Derail from MW2 in my eyes.

Okay I do understand that a map like derail wasn't exactly "popular" and quite often you wouldn't reach the score limit in TDM or if you did you'd be around the 8/9 minute mark. However those map really tested your class design and not many maps do this in recent CoD titles. For example most maps you can get by with using an SMG.

In MW2 you couldn't get away with that on maps like derail or underpass or estate unless you either played hardcore or planned to stick inside the buildings where it offers a lot of CQC.

Now remember a map that's big doesn't have to be all long range gunfights and that's where houses come in, for example the warehouse in the middle of derail and the mansion in estate all offered chances for CQC as well as long range gunfights. Having maps that offer the best of both worlds is key.

Otherwise we have what Black Ops 2 has which is a mindless array of CQC that gets boring after 5 games.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to dtuchpunk

for the most part i agree, and something ihated on BO2 earlier, the map was removed from FFA, and it was easily the best map in the game for FFA normal sniping(not QS), i doubt they will make a map bigenough to be removed do to size, and end up removing 1/3rd of the maps from gamemodes becuase of size anyway.

Level 22

Studios