My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

Hey,

So all I've seen so far is medium to small maps for CoD Ghosts and I really don't want the game to be full of small CQC maps. I have seen some medium maps and the designs look better e.g. you have elevation and space but in all honesty I don't see any big maps.

I really have enjoyed the CoD series except from BO2  because the maps were tiny and subsequently the maps made the spawning system terrible.

So does anyone share my worry about the map design?

Activision Ambassador
141 REPLIES

Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

in reply to Scotland-Rules

it comes down to what you consider a large map really?

The problem with large maps is you end up with alot of dead space that's hardly ever used by players.

Whiteout is what i'd consider a big map

octane was kinda small but felt alot bigger when i played, same goes for strikezone (but due to the kem strike you basically have two maps in one there)

Chasm is what id consider a medium sized map but its got multiple levels to it

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

maccabi wrote:

it comes down to what you consider a large map really?

The problem with large maps is you end up with alot of dead space that's hardly ever used by players.

As others have said, I don't think its the size that creates the dead space where players don't rome. It's the design itself that either encourages or discourages movement. A perfect example in BO2 was Mirage. At first I considered it a "medium" map, as far as Treyarch's designs went. But, it was the horrible design of Mirage that lead to the dead spaces. W@W had some "weak" large maps, but it also had some excellent large maps. Downfall, which some people didn't like, I thought was very successful in keeping the action going on its large landscape. That was MY experience, and that's all I can share.

What gives me (a lot of) hope for Ghosts was IW mentioning that they've dropped the left-middle-right routes design in recent COD maps for more asymmetrical designs. Which to me will give people more choices of how to move around a map. Giving us a chance of being more stealthy when approaching the enemy. Also the presence of larger maps will discourage campers. Yes, there will always be campers. And sometimes one must camp when learning a new map. Who wants to die a lot when playing on a map they've never seen before?

I also believe strongly that multiple map sizes will give Ghosts longer staying power. I grew bored of BO2 maps no more then a month after each DLC was released. And bored sooner of the initial maps that came on the disc. Why? Mainly because they were so fricken tiny that boredom and frustration set in a lot quicker. Larger maps, and a variety of map sizes, allows us to enjoy all playstyles. I've avoided sniping on BO2 because there's no point. I've been rather surprised at all the people who have sniped on BO2 given the tiny map designs. But, if Ghosts is as promising as it looks, I expect to be a sniper almost half the time I play. But, we shall see. It's not out yet.

Level 21

in reply to Scotland-Rules

Large maps can mean empty spaces without players.
Or it should be groundwar only maps. Some of the big WaW maps where to big with 12 players. You could walk around for minutes without seening an enemy

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaSS is OP. SaND get's everywhere
Level 59

in reply to dtuchpunk

dtuchpunk wrote:

Large maps can mean empty spaces without players.
Or it should be groundwar only maps. Some of the big WaW maps where to big with 12 players. You could walk around for minutes without seening an enemy

some of the w@w maps were stupidly big seelow for example..

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Not stupidly big.

Stupidly bad designed.

The easiest thing in the world is making a massive map where everyone SPAWNS seeing everyone else, 350 meters away.

Then add objects and terrain to the map, and even a monkey can design the map so that you can STILL make it so that players see eacother very often OR all the time.

Add buildings, and there still is no problem.

Add stupid amounts of 5 exit buildings with unecessary and unrealistic 2.5 meter walls all around them, obscene amounts of clutter -- half of it clearly placed there for a very specific purpose, useless outhouses that only serve as dedicated camping positions, caves that act as shortcuts and camp positions, accessible 5 exit sewers, secret holes in Grandma's attic leading into a nuclear underground reactor with 163 windows each leading to a ladder leading to a silo with exactly 15 degrees field of view into no-spawn no-nothing areas AND add banners, massive signposts, impenetrable trees and bushes 15 meters in front of every single window and thereby blocking every single long sightline except the select few "3 obvious/contrived dedicated sniper sightlines developers add in only because of snipers" -- which obivously are going to be ruined by holes in walls and everything else in the map design catering to killing people in those positions, making them undefendable..

THAT is where the past 4 cods have failed miserably.

That is also where CoD4 succeeded massively:

CoD4 has the best maps of all CoDs thus far.

Level 28

in reply to ADW1983

adw1983 wrote:

Not stupidly big.

Stupidly bad designed.

The easiest thing in the world is making a massive map where everyone SPAWNS seeing everyone else, 350 meters away.

Then add objects and terrain to the map, and even a monkey can design the map so that you can STILL make it so that players see eacother very often OR all the time.

Add buildings, and there still is no problem.

i'f its so easy I await your map design eagerly ,

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Name an available map tool / editor for a game you own and give me up to 48 hours, and I'll give you a great map -- minus good textures. (textures takes so much time, and is boring.)

I'm used to 3d-map design (Counter-Strike) and 3d with invisible/seamless portals (physics warping; Unreal 1 Engine).

Level 28

in reply to ADW1983

the sdk is freely available for cod 4

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

5 hours of tweaking the install to try to get it to work -- literally 5 hours of my time -- and I give up.

I'll make a good map design for CS-Source.

Level 28

Studios