Proposal for New Leveling System

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Proposal for New Leveling System

Most people do not like the concept of prestiging and the only reason they do it is to keep the game fresh and have something to work towards. The problem is that their level no longer represents how much they play the game and how fierce of a competitor they may actually be.  Here's my proposal for a new leveling system.

The first 55 levels would still be very similar today where you are unlocking guns/camo/perks etc.  The key is that once you reach 55 max you don't have to prestige, but instead continue to level up.  There is no max level.  Each level continues to require more and more XP to level up thus making it more and more difficult to level up.  Eventually getting from one level to the next will become much more challenging and time consuming. At some level they could just say that all levels going forward require X amount of XP rather than increasing them more and more.

But what about having something to work towards? Your extra Create-A-Class slots should only be unlocked as you reach higher levels.  55 might get you one, 80 gets you another, etc.  Extra reticles and camos can be unlocked at higher levels. If there are emblems or backgrounds those can also be unlocked at higher levels.  At some point you can even reward some bonus XP.  Maybe reward someone who reaches level 100 with 8 gaming hours of double XP.  There are so many possibilities of ways that you can continue to reward them.  In game backgrounds, achievements, system rewards like props, avatar items, etc. At key levels you could unlock the special "prestige" emblems that we see today. 

I really hope one of the 3 COD developers will consider something like this.

Items to note/think about:

  • Don't allow people to buy create a class slots with real money (ruins the reward system).
  • Don't allow players to reset their stats and start over...the goal is to constantly progress.
  • Don't show who you are playing against till the lobby is "locked" where players can't back out. That prevents people from seeing top or high level players and backing out just because they are scared.  After the game there is time to back out and get into a different lobby.

What are your thoughts? Do you like the prestige system? Would you rather see something like this? Any other thoughts on how this could work or opinions on why it wouldn't work?

Level 33
Likes: 815
Posts: 2197
Registered: ‎28-11-2012
27 REPLIES

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to LifeSong1

LifeSong1 wrote:



Most people do not like the concept of prestiging and the only reason they do it is to keep the game fresh and have something to work towards. The problem is that their level no longer represents how much they play the game and how fierce of a competitor they may actually be.  Here's my proposal for a new leveling system.



The first 55 levels would still be very similar today where you are unlocking guns/camo/perks etc.  The key is that once you reach 55 max you don't have to prestige, but instead continue to level up.  There is no max level.  Each level continues to require more and more XP to level up thus making it more and more difficult to level up.  Eventually getting from one level to the next will become much more challenging and time consuming. At some level they could just say that all levels going forward require X amount of XP rather than increasing them more and more.



But what about having something to work towards? Your extra Create-A-Class slots should only be unlocked as you reach higher levels.  55 might get you one, 80 gets you another, etc.  Extra reticles and camos can be unlocked at higher levels. If there are emblems or backgrounds those can also be unlocked at higher levels.  At some point you can even reward some bonus XP.  Maybe reward someone who reaches level 100 with 8 gaming hours of double XP.  There are so many possibilities of ways that you can continue to reward them.  In game backgrounds, achievements, system rewards like props, avatar items, etc. At key levels you could unlock the special "prestige" emblems that we see today.



I really hope one of the 3 COD developers will consider something like this.



Items to note/think about:



  • Don't allow people to buy create a class slots with real money (ruins the reward system).

  • Don't allow players to reset their stats and start over...the goal is to constantly progress.

  • Don't show who you are playing against till the lobby is "locked" where players can't back out. That prevents people from seeing top or high level players and backing out just because they are scared.  After the game there is time to back out and get into a different lobby.



What are your thoughts? Do you like the prestige system? Would you rather see something like this? Any other thoughts on how this could work or opinions on why it wouldn't work?


Good ideas,

-Your "real money" observation: Do you mean the option to purchase (with money not squad points) classes?

- The option to reset stats, I believe should be granted to those who want to do it or stay at the current prestige level they want (in other words) after each max level give the players the choice to continue (as you have). I would continue.

- This is a tricky one, though I agree (stats make people back out, not sure why) but they do. Locking a lobby, not sure about that but removing stats from the pre-game lobby would remove the need to quit because of higher level enemy.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75
Likes: 9199
Posts: 16478
Registered: ‎14-11-2011

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to Izjar11

-Your "real money" observation: Do you mean the option to purchase (with money not squad points) classes?


- The option to reset stats, I believe should be granted to those who want to do it or stay at the current prestige level they want (in other words) after each max level give the players the choice to continue (as you have). I would continue.


- This is a tricky one, though I agree (stats make people back out, not sure why) but they do. Locking a lobby, not sure about that but removing stats from the pre-game lobby would remove the need to quit because of higher level enemy.


The real money obeservation is I don't think people should be able to pay $2 to get all the create-a-class slots. They should be earned. BO2 introduced it and Ghosts has it as well...just doesn't seem right.

The problem with resetting stats is it truly doesn't give people an idea of where they are at. I think it needs to be an all or nothing and people shouldn't be able to hide or cheat the system by resetting stats but instead have to live with the stats they have earned. People shouldn't be able to stay at a lower level.  This screws up the matchmaking as it is today as if you come in with people who haven't prestiged you are more likely to play with "newer" players. People cheat the matchmaking system that way.  Instead, make them continue to progress and play people closer to their actual level.

Halo 3 (not sure about any of the others) implemented the "lobby lock" system. Once locked you could see who is what level and see their stats. That's what I'm referring to. The way it is people join and constantly back out (I'm guilty of it too) when you see that there are 3 of the top 200 players in the lobby.  I just don't feel like getting slaughtered (to their credit).

Level 33
Likes: 815
Posts: 2197
Registered: ‎28-11-2012

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to LifeSong1

Halo 3 and Halo 2 had a party matchmaking system. If you searched alone you got matched with other people searched alone. If you searched in a full party clan you got matched against a full clan. You can't have a strict matchmaking system if they don't correct that problem. Clans would just destroy randoms.

Overall I don't like the idea of a skill based matchmaking system. It's only going to shrink the community further because cod has a large casual audience that includes 30+ year old gamers who don't really have any time for that because they just want to hop down and play after work. Halo made sense competitive, but just let MLG and esports figure out the competitive stuff. We don't need it in a game where connection is a constant problem hindering true skill.

Level 9
Likes: 152
Posts: 243
Registered: ‎24-12-2013

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to LifeSong1

     I prefer to play with people that live near me, regardless of their level.  I really like your idea though.  I shamefully bought the extra classes, because 6 wasn't enough, and paying 1.99 was the only way to get it up to the 10 slots we should've had to begin with.  If there was a way to earn them, you betcha I'd have taken that route instead.

     I didn't mind the original prestige system, but it's become boring and easy past couple titles.  No level cap, and just keep going, having to earn ridiculous xp to get to the higher levels is a good idea imo.  As long as there is a really good reward say every couple levels over the soft cap (level 55 in your example). 

Level 29
Likes: 704
Posts: 2204
Registered: ‎22-09-2012

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to Highwayman0226

The key is the rewards as you said. There are so many options on what they could give out as rewards: Title backgrounds, Emblems, Backgrounds, reticles, gun camos, character camos, double XP bonuses, double clan XP bonus for you as a clan member, individual clan tag colors, character customization options, create-a-class slots, extra emblem symbols (if allowed in the game), system challenge indicator (on Xbox One) that is basically a 0 point achievement but something that is tied to the user, ability to reset challenges at certain levels, etc.

Level 33
Likes: 815
Posts: 2197
Registered: ‎28-11-2012

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to LifeSong1

     Not setting the rewards and doing a random thing like BF4 does with battlepacks would be a fun way to implement it.

Level 29
Likes: 704
Posts: 2204
Registered: ‎22-09-2012

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to LifeSong1

Interesting ideas here.

I do think that Custom Class Slots should be earned and not bought, either through real money or in game currency. This was always a great reward for prestiging.

I think the key to both balance and longevity, however, is to bring back Weapon Challenges. True challenges, not just for Camos. Have to use the weapon to unlock attachments. Have to use attachments to unlock other attachments. This whole buying things idea, while less grind, also shortens the game's lifespan. I think once a weapon's challenges have all been completed, bring back the idea of prestiging that weapon. There should be some reward for doing so... perhaps the third attachment slot? Give everyone two at first (or make it so that completing X number of challenges with that weapon unlocks the second slot for it. When you prestige, you again have to unlock your first two slots, but when completed, you get a third slot? Seems like a significant reward. Keep the Camo challenges as well, I'd like to see them follow BO2's lead on this and reward players for completing the challenges on all weapons classes (Diamond Camo).

I guess I could see keeping the counter going up from 55 or 60... but I think it works just fine having a Prestige Emblem alongside the new level. CoD players are savvy enough to know what this means. Keep it at 10 Prestiges, but allow for players to Reset if they get to 10. Reward those players with a new Emblem so people can recognize that they are going through their second run.

The leveling needs to be improved, the current system is silly.



"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
Likes: 13728
Posts: 23302
Registered: ‎02-09-2011

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

nicedrewishfela wrote:


I think the key to both balance and longevity, however, is to bring back Weapon Challenges. True challenges, not just for Camos. Have to use the weapon to unlock attachments. Have to use attachments to unlock other attachments. This whole buying things idea, while less grind, also shortens the game's lifespan. I think once a weapon's challenges have all been completed, bring back the idea of prestiging that weapon. There should be some reward for doing so... perhaps the third attachment slot? Give everyone two at first (or make it so that completing X number of challenges with that weapon unlocks the second slot for it. When you prestige, you again have to unlock your first two slots, but when completed, you get a third slot? Seems like a significant reward. Keep the Camo challenges as well, I'd like to see them follow BO2's lead on this and reward players for completing the challenges on all weapons classes (Diamond Camo).


I agree with the weapon challenges. While the ability to buy items with points is helpful for getting the gun you really want, I tend to agree that having to earn it/unlock it at certain levels does make sense. Prestiging a gun is something else I liked and could easily be added as a reward (the ability to prestige it) as well as unlocking something by doing that.


nicedrewishfela wrote:



I guess I could see keeping the counter going up from 55 or 60... but I think it works just fine having a Prestige Emblem alongside the new level. CoD players are savvy enough to know what this means. Keep it at 10 Prestiges, but allow for players to Reset if they get to 10. Reward those players with a new Emblem so people can recognize that they are going through their second run.



The leveling needs to be improved, the current system is silly.


The Prestige emblems you refer to are what could still be present and unlocked at certain levels, but maybe you don't have to use that as your emblem? But why limit it to 10 "prestiges"? Allow people who play a lot to keep going and show how much they truly play and not cap them out?

Also, the concept of "reseting your level to 1" goes against this concept as now you don't truly know what level a person is and now they tend to play with "newer" or "lower ranked" people because they prestige which for an experienced player makes for some easy games and XP. I'd rather people have no choice but to show their true level. If you don't put a cap on it then there should be no need to reset it to 0 (aside from those who really want to reset their stats more than anything but once again...that isn't a true representation of how they played the game so I don't think the reset should ever be an option).  The only reason they probably added the reset option was to allow people who reach the cap to keep playing. With my proposal there is no need for the reset as they can keep going.

Level 33
Likes: 815
Posts: 2197
Registered: ‎28-11-2012

Re: Proposal for New Leveling System

in reply to LifeSong1

Yes... and No.

My issue with no cap is, you don't really have something to strive for. You just keep going up, and up... and up.

It is nice to have a goal to work for.

I felt a sense of accomplishment on Black Ops (the first game I really worked for it) when I reached top Prestige. I did it fairly and honestly, and felt a sense of accomplishment when I reached it. So much, in fact, that I went back and fully prestiged on MW2, which I hadn't really focused on at all when playing.

Since then, I have reached top prestige in every game. I was disappointed when MW3 introduced 10 more prestiges... they really werent't worth pursuing and took a lot of the accomplishment out of reaching 10th. They were simply superficial, and meant nothing in the long run. Enjoyed my run to Prestige Master in BO2, and never even thought about wasting my time on a reset as there were still things I hadn't accomplished.

Without capping it somewhere, there is no sense of a goal to work for, and they can't just have unlimited symbols and emblems to recognize this. At some point it has to stop.

For some reason, it has become en vogue to "Race for Commander". Why? The game has to last a year, so what is the darn hurry?

I think there has to be a cap somewhere. Players with unlimited time on their hands are, of course, going to reach the top level and gripe about how they are "so bored" now... but the regular player will enjoy the ride getting to the ultimate goal, and feel accomplished when they do so.



"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
Likes: 13728
Posts: 23302
Registered: ‎02-09-2011

Studios