The motivation of ranking up is somewhat diminished in ghosts.

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

The motivation of ranking up is somewhat diminished in ghosts.

Its something I didn't realise until I went and played Modern Warfare 3. I went on MW3 this week because a mate who isn't a fan of ghosts asked me too and I was a couple levels off being 80 and I kinda wanted to be level 80 and get the remaining weapon (RPG). However I soon realized that one thing I think is missing from Ghosts is the motivation to rank up. Because I'm not working for anything other than a prestige, it feels a bit like a grind of getting nowhere fast.

I mean since basically everything is unlocked from the start you don't need to reach level 'blah' to get your favourite weapon and I really miss this, even BO2 which I disliked as a game had this feature of unlocking weapons via rank. .

I therefore don't feel the need to rank up and I feel I'm working towards nothing because I know I don't have the staying power for this game and prestiging yields nothing. For example in MW3 you got prestige tokens which allows you to unlock weapons, get double weapon and game xp and do a variety of other things. In other games it gave you a reason to prestige e.g. extra custom class slots.

Overall I feel ranking up isn't a must and therefore doesn't yield much in terms of day to day playing. Does anyone else feel this way?

Activision Ambassador
17 REPLIES

Re: The motivation of ranking up is somewhat diminished in ghosts.

in reply to Scotland-Rules

I've mentioned this in previous threads, its not so bad when you first start playing as you don't have enough squad points for everything. Now tho im on 6th prestige with over 2000 squad points and can buy whatever. For me its taken away a big part of the challenge and is made worse now that operations cycle with xp and squad points coming to easily. I had a game of tdm the other day where i earned 43000 xp lol imagine it had been a double weekend.

Level 2

I totally agree. Theres nothing to play for

Level 15

Have to agree with that, but there are other motivations that keep people going, like their reputation or a certain area where they post certain subjects that has to be posted by a deadline or this and that happens. CoD: Ghosts really needs those rewards that go along with ranks. For example, you could get the AK-12 at level 21 and the MTAR-X at level 38 and so on. (I) try to find motivation by playing only with friends on Ghosts and just having a great time, laughing the deaths off and ignoring the trash talk. Anyways, I agree entirely!

Level 1

in reply to SlickShots1

SlickShots wrote:

Have to agree with that, but there are other motivations that keep people going, like their reputation or a certain area where they post certain subjects that has to be posted by a deadline or this and that happens. CoD: Ghosts really needs those rewards that go along with ranks. For example, you could get the AK-12 at level 21 and the MTAR-X at level 38 and so on. (I) try to find motivation by playing only with friends on Ghosts and just having a great time, laughing the deaths off and ignoring the trash talk. Anyways, I agree entirely!

I was talking about CoD Ghosts the game, not the forum

I mean an unlock system that is levelled, while it does restrict freedom, it gives you something to play for. Like right now, I'm not 'big' on challenges so the meta game isn't driving me to play. However because I've tried all the weapons and figured that with whatever weapons I like, I can unlock them first.

For example on MW3 I liked the FAD but that was a high level weapon like in the 70s or something so I'd always aspire to get up to that level to enjoy my time with the FAD.

Activision Ambassador

I have to disagree. The restrictions of the old systems were very frustrating and unnecessary. I want this system to return for future games, but higher squad point costs for items would be appreciated.

Level 1

in reply to UnGrumpy1

Don't you find that somewhat unchallenging though?

I mean take from BO2, with your system everyone could just use the most powerful weapons automatically. I think MW3 actually shows this better, the best assault rifle arguably was the ACR, everyone would use or gravitate to that weapon more than the others.

Without a structure, you don't have challenge unless you're motivated to use weapons you dislike then you're not going to test yourself. It is frustrating but also rewarding, I mean what makes you want to rank up when you already have 500 squad points and two soldiers with everything already unlocked?

The answer is either You love the game so much that you don't need anything to motivate you

Or for others like myself and those in this thread: You simply don't, you either stop or you just trudge along and go with the flow for the sake of it.

Activision Ambassador

My motivation to play is unlocking challenges or operations and just the joy of playing. Rank is something that just happens, but I will admit that I was relieved when my squad got maxed out. I will personally wind up playing enough to go through the prestiges at least twice if not three times.

Level 75

Agreed.

Level 43

Yes I agree.

It seems like the only thing that keeps some people motivated is the K/D or W/L ratios.

There seems to be no other factors to motivate you to rank up.

That's the whole experience of Ghosts IMO, just not as fun or motivating as other releases.

MW3, BO2 etc its great to see you always progressing towards something, but Ghosts is just "meh, why bother ?".

Level 38

Studios