To all of you who think you have the best internet on the planet

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Re: To all of you who think you have the best internet on the planet

in reply to Ghamorra

It largely depends on what game im playing. i can play BF4, halo, etc while other people are using the internet and have no problem at all while COD has always had an issue. Personally, i think CoD is a bandwidth hog.

I get 28-35 down 10 up usually 15-16ms ping locally, probably in the 20-50 range for the west coast.

Level 8

jewz wrote:

It largely depends on what game im playing. i can play BF4, halo, etc while other people are using the internet and have no problem at all while COD has always had an issue. Personally, i think CoD is a bandwidth hog.

I get 28-35 down 10 up usually 15-16ms ping locally, probably in the 20-50 range for the west coast.

One person, doesn't matter who, can cause lag for the entire lobby because of the hosting system CoD uses. BF has dedicated servers so only you contribute to your connection. Another factor is that Call of Duty is so fast paced that your brain can adjust to the speed and give you the feeling that lag is more than it really is. For instance the other day I was playing a game and my girlfriend was watching my. Afterwards she asked how could I possibly see anything moving as fast as I was. Our brains adjust to the fast pace flow of the game. One second in Call of Duty seems like two seconds to us. This means that if we're lagging even a little it seems like more.

Think of it like driving on the highway at 70 mph and then hitting a small town where the speed is 35 mph. You slow down initially but as soon as you take your eyes of the odometer you speed up because you're use to going faster and 50 feels like 35.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Unless they haven't hooked them up yet, i should be getting dedi's since i got an xbox one. I hate that they took out the connection status from the scoreboard. I can't yell at people to leave because their connection sucks anymore.

I had no trouble with titan fall either during the alpha. I even tried connecting to the US east (im in CO) and had no problem even with a higher ping. It might just be that CoD has a terrible net code, but then again so does Bf4. Theoretically if they are both using dedi's they should behave the same way, but they don't

Level 8

jewz wrote:

Unless they haven't hooked them up yet, i should be getting dedi's since i got an xbox one. I hate that they took out the connection status from the scoreboard. I can't yell at people to leave because their connection sucks anymore.

Dedicated servers and cloud servers are two completely different things. In principle they're similar but as far as reliability goes cloud servers have proven to be much more hassle and problematic than they were thought to have been. Titian Fall uses cloud servers and while in the BETA test there were very few people online making for great game play, but during some of their tests Respawn said that they were experiencing more problems than they were prepared for.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Im not all that worried about the supposed reliability of cloud servers. Apple runs millions if not billions of iMessages through their servers everyday(and tons of other services), Microsoft has tons of services backed up by cloud servers, and google has a ton of products that rely on cloud servers. They might be a little more problematic right now simply because people still haven't entirely figured out how to use them properly.

Titanfall alpha did have an issue at about 6 or 7 MST the day it was released because everybody was trying to get on, which was resolved in about 30 minutes. They are still using data centers just like with dedicated servers. In all honesty, they are probably using more of what is closer to traditional dedicated servers than cloud servers. They just say cloud servers cause it sounds fancy and more people think they know what those are

Level 8
Highlighted

jewz wrote:

Im not all that worried about the supposed reliability of cloud servers. Apple runs millions if not billions of iMessages through their servers everyday(and tons of other services), Microsoft has tons of services backed up by cloud servers, and google has a ton of products that rely on cloud servers.

An iMessage doesn't compare to the demand a video game has and I've watched the wheels on my 5s turn as it tries to push out an iMessage through WiFi. Video games trump all in terms of demand on the internet. Unless you're running a successful website or file sharing I can't really see what other service a typical person would use that requires more. It would be like sending 30 or so iMessages and receiving a response per second. I don't see cloud servers being able to do that per player hundreds, if not thousands of times over. If they were so cheap to implement I would bet that dedicated servers would be used for Titian Fall.

Level 75

Studios