Unofficially Official Hardcore Discussion Thread

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Re: 4 HC modes at launch...

in reply to RAN Kismet

I love HC, too. And, not to throw a wrench into the discussion, I think a factor may be the percentage of players actually playing HC. Does HC make up a large percentage of the total player base? Maybe the head count is less then we think. Hence, they may be basing their decision on that factor.

Thoughts?

Level 21
Highlighted

in reply to RunAndGun1

RunAndGun1 wrote:

I love HC, too. And, not to throw a wrench into the discussion, I think a factor may be the percentage of players actually playing HC. Does HC make up a large percentage of the total player base? Maybe the head count is less then we think. Hence, they may be basing their decision on that factor.

Thoughts?

while only a few are privy to the actual uu's it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see if there's 100k on mp and 30-40k are in hc  . how much of a percentage that is roughly. I dont think the decision was solely based on headcounts either like bo2 theres alot of extra modes and the space for them has to come from somewhere. Plus you also have the spectre of dedis lurking cant have loads of dedis set up for one particualr mode if that mode only is going to attract a tiny playerbase

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

maccabi wrote:

RunAndGun1 wrote:

Thoughts?

while only a few are privy to the actual uu's it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see if there's 100k on mp and 30-40k are in hc  . how much of a percentage that is roughly. I dont think the decision was solely based on headcounts either like bo2 theres alot of extra modes and the space for them has to come from somewhere. Plus you also have the spectre of dedis lurking cant have loads of dedis set up for one particualr mode if that mode only is going to attract a tiny playerbase

I don't think there was a decision making process.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Thats shocking if true,

I would honestly have expected at least something along the lines of

TDM

FFA

SnD / SnR

Blitz / (Enter other new modes here)

Cranked

Special (DLC / 24/7 etc)

Im not a big twitterer but didnt Treyarch get an awful lot of stick on there after revealing BO2 would only have 4 HC modes?

Surely IW would have seen that mistake and realised 4 wasnt enough.

I love HC but find TDM oh so boring, KC has been over played over the last couple of titles, DOM just isnt my cup of tea, and cranked well it sounds fun but i cant see myself playing it for 12 months, at best maybe once or twice a month for a laugh.

Level 5

in reply to Project-VAG-DAN

Project-VAG-DANO wrote:

Im not a big twitterer but didnt Treyarch get an awful lot of stick on there after revealing BO2 would only have 4 HC modes?

yes

Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Not quoting numbers, because they would be false but...

Has this not been a problem since BO1 (and likely before)?  Remember "Bombs and Flags"? I believe the basic reason was there was not enough people playing HC (or some games modes of HC) to warrant maintaining the lists.

My memory could be off, I am old.

I find it disappointing (I am primarily a HC player, and was very pissed because my friends ONLY played HC HQ in BO1), but my gut tells me that either:

- They are not deliberately trying to piss off the HC community

- The player base numbers do not warrant the inclusion of all (or at least of the most popular) game modes in HC

- The potential of pissing off that % of the community is a blip on the total player base*

* the 3rd was a random thought from a business perspective background, not saying it has any merit

Activision Ambassador

rlbl wrote:

Not quoting numbers, because they would be false but...

Has this not been a problem since BO1 (and likely before)?  Remember "Bombs and Flags"? I believe the basic reason was there was not enough people playing HC (or some games modes of HC) to warrant maintaining the lists.

My memory could be off, I am old.

I find it disappointing (I am primarily a HC player, and was very pissed because my friends ONLY played HC HQ in BO1), but my gut tells me that either:

- They are not deliberately trying to piss off the HC community

- The player base numbers do not warrant the inclusion of all (or at least of the most popular) game modes in HC

- The potential of pissing off that % of the community is a blip on the total player base*

* the 3rd was a random thought from a business perspective background, not saying it has any merit

Well... I would say...

• The MP dev is certainly not supporting the HC community.
  • The player numbers are between 20-30% of all players
    • More people play HC KC than Core.
    • Most Core players play TDM
  • It's not small.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Thx... note: I am not arguing, I am playing devil's advocate.

Those stats show the HC community is large, but again playing devil's advocate, that is yet but one snapshot (of many I am sure... but is it always like his? I am thinking not).

The real question is: what are the overall stats the devs are using on which they are making decisions (as well as the rationale).  The stats of numbers are maybe not the only thing they are basing on. Going out on a limb here, but what if they can (or only wish to) handle a certain player base, or supporting certain games modes. So the decision could be that some modes drop off the table because not enough people play them*

* I note the pasting is of KC (which I would be surprised if they dropped)... but what about game modes specifically they have dropped ? Maybe the numbers did not look so good in those modes? I dunno.. remember, I am just playing devil's advocate here, as I am primarily a HC player myself, which is no secret.  I would love it if all modes were available in HC (although the numbers may make it some games would take a lot longer to fill a lobby )

Although you and I make love KC, that is not the only game mode the community is asking for... So maybe they are not in support of the full community as you suggest (they certainly pissed of the CTF and FFA players, and myself as a HQ player), but maybe (just maybe) they are supporting the porting of the community who support the game modes, thus making those ones popular enough to keep.  just thinking out loud.

Activision Ambassador

rlbl wrote:

Thx... note: I am not arguing, I am playing devil's advocate.

Those stats show the HC community is large, but again playing devil's advocate, that is yet but one snapshot (of many I am sure... but is it always like his? I am thinking not).

The real question is: what are the overall stats the devs are using on which they are making decisions (as well as the rationale).  The stats of numbers are maybe not the only thing they are basing on. Going out on a limb here, but what if they can (or only wish to) handle a certain player base, or supporting certain games modes. So the decision could be that some modes drop off the table because not enough people play them*

* I note the pasting is of KC (which I would be surprised if they dropped)... but what about game modes specifically they have dropped ? Maybe the numbers did not look so good in those modes? I dunno.. remember, I am just playing devil's advocate here, as I am primarily a HC player myself, which is no secret.  I would love it if all modes were available in HC (although the numbers may make it some games would take a lot longer to fill a lobby )

Although you and I make love KC, that is not the only game mode the community is asking for... So maybe they are not in support of the full community as you suggest (they certainly pissed of the CTF and FFA players, and myself as a HQ player), but maybe (just maybe) they are supporting the porting of the community who support the game modes, thus making those ones popular enough to keep.  just thinking out loud.

I actually look at these numbers all the time.

There has been... and continues to be... no real justification for the lack of community support.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Fair, but for all the previously supported game modes? Rhetorical question, because they do not exist to view them.

I think I am wondering: Would there be justification to support ALL the games the entire HC community would want to see:

- would any show low numbers

- would some people switch from CORE to HC (that answer is an obvious yes, but how many... and would that number be enough to justify them)

That is my question angle I think...  I wish they were all there, but I submit to the idea that it may not make sense, no matter what my feelings on the subject are.  I felt totally abandoned when they dropped support in BO1, and even though I did not like it nor did I like what they did (bombs and flags), I understood why they did it in principal (and still hated it)

Activision Ambassador

Studios