We rely on radar WAY too much

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

We rely on radar WAY too much

I don't hear complaints about camping nearly as much in HC modes. I think it's fairly obvious why. When playing Core, however, it's the the complete opposite. The reliance on radar or any form of mini map is so ridiculous that playing without one is uncomfortable.

I've been playing a lot of HC recently because sniping in Core modes is just too unpredictable. Getting hitmarkers with a Lynx + Chrome Barrel is unsettling. As you know there's no standard mini map and what I've found is that Satcoms are used less in HC than in Core. Players adapt to the lack of a mini map and use instinct to guide them. After a while you'll completely find that even when it's called in you don't use it.

In Core modes there's a huge amount assumptions made when a player see an empty radar then dies. The assumption process is instant and outlandish. If only there were a way to accurately track how much time is spent looking at the radar rather than what's in front of a player.

The logic is usually something along the lines of you didn't show on the radar therefore you were hiding and the only reason you're hiding is because you're camping and not showing on radar automatically means camping. This logic is flawed deeply. Maybe it's the all the movies where stealth is associated with a "sit and wait" strategy. Like Rambo hiding against a tree waiting for someone to pass so he grab them and break their neck.

Now, this is just a guess, but I also think that the amount of radar looking contributes to missing obvious things, like a person standing in front of you. Players are quick to call camper in the death chatter but it's pretty obvious that they weren't paying attention to the screen. The reason you didn't see the player who killed wasn't because they were camping, you didn't see them because you weren't paying attention.

It's a rude awakening when you play some HC and realize how much time you spend radar peeking. When you finally call in a Satcom you'll find out real quick how deadly even a the quickest glance up to the top left of your screen can be.

Level 75
42 REPLIES

Re: We rely on radar WAY too much

in reply to Ghamorra

I played hc almost exclusively in bo2(less bulletsponging). I can say I play better in core because of it. I find myself noticing things I didn't notice before.

Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

in reply to Ghamorra

I have no problem admitting that I do radar peek...PEEK...as in glance for less than a second, then eyes back in front.

The problem is when people expect the dots/arrows to ALWAYS be there, as if they're playing a custom game with the radar always turned on, so are constantly just staring at the mini map as if it's the main screen and only using the top slant of their screen to see which way they're going, and it was made semi-possible in games ever since MW2 and on with constant UAV/Spy Plane/AUAV/VSAT/SAT-COM/etc.use. Like I mentioned before, BO2 (largely thanks to the Scorestreak System) had one of my constant chains of UAV, CUAV, and Orbital VSAT, which I was usually able to keep up almost infinitely (due to constant Assist Points), thus my team did have a constant dot/arrow mini map while the opponent's map was constantly jammed. It became THAT easy to do.

I've more and more felt that anything involving the mini map should be higher on streak chains rather than (among) the first and/or easiest things to get in order to help ween people off of relying so much on such things. In turn, if mini map peeking is lowered, then it could also help ween people off of constantly defaulting to things that help them hide from the mini map like Ghost/Assassin/OtG/etc.

Level 24

in reply to Ghamorra

I think you're stretching the logic a bit, but I agree that the community is overly reliant on radar and the mini map. I wonder how Core would be without it? You'd probably see a lot less suppressors being equipped.

Level 10

in reply to Fang_1192

Actually people still use them in hc just as much as in core but for other reasons. Instead of staying off the radar they are used in hc to make it harder for players to hear where they are being shot from. plus in hc the reduction of range of damage is not an issue since it takes less to kill.

Level 70

in reply to Ghamorra

Yes core players rely on the mini map and the pause map too much, this has always been the case. And is why the people who complain about perks like off the grid whine so much about them. Without their pac-man dot they don't know what to do or how to play the game.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

I never understood the hate for a radar counter. It's always baffled me. They're the most passive perks available and yet they're hated the most. Hating something like that only shows how dependent a player is on radar.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Yeah, I rarely saw the Counter UAVs used in MW3 or BO2 as opposed to the UAV/AUAV/VSAT and such.

I guess it's also due to pride in seeing any sort of mini map counter Perk/Steak as "camper's tools". Sadly, such pride is what really ends up handicapping people into possibly losing more fights than or just as much as winning them.

Level 24

in reply to Ghamorra

Yeah you are about 4 games late with this G. UAV spam has fortunately been knocked down quite a bit in Ghosts, although there are still plenty of satcoms, they aren't nearly as effective as they were just 1 game ago. They should be removed entirely.

Level 20

in reply to Ghamorra

You don't hear complaints in HC because the pace is slow in every game. If there isn't a lot of movement you really can't take advantage of it. Funny thing is games like Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon were faster paced than COD HC even though it was a one hit kill. Probably because weapon recoil and gun accuracy in the Redstorm games made it far harder to hit a moving target and don't even try hitting an opponents at range when you were moving. Personally I almost never look at it and don't have satcoms as a streak in any class. Since I don't spay my weapon I find it more important to locate my opponent at range on screen so I find it a distraction for the most part. If it was removed from core it wouldn't effect me at all but I bet those SMG players would be lost without it.

Level 12

Studios