What kind of player are you,anyways?

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

What kind of player are you,anyways?

A few weeks back, I was touched by a post on the 360 Forum.There was yet another thread about "Campers" featuring the usual back and forth about the merits/problems with camping, when one reply threw me for a loop. The forum user explained the reason he camped is that he only has one hand, which limited his ability to move around effectively. He "camped" so that he can still enjoy the game in spite of the physical challenges it presented him.

The post really made me think. We come in here and go into lobbies with total strangers and judge them based on their playstyle. We rant and curse them out... some even go as far as to send angry or even threatening messages to players who's playstyle they don't like. But what if we knew that person? What if we knew there was a reason for how they play? What if we knew their story? Would it cause us to react or treat each other differently?

My goal with this post was to get a better sense of the community here on the forum. We may only represent a random sampling of the community as a whole... but perhaps it will help us develop a better understanding of the people who play this game. So... what kind of player are you? Why do you play the way you do?

As for me.. I guess being in my mid to late thirties I consider myself an older player. I found COD on PC as an avid WWII game fan. I cut my teeth in Online play with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and was late in the game with Console CoD, getting World at War first before buying COD4. I wasn't a fan of the Modern Weapons, but COD4 really won me over and I have been a dedicated player since. My game has improved greatly over the years, as I started by emulating other players and then began to develop my own style.

I don't have the patience to camp. I do it when needed or to support a team if given an assignment, but it drives me crazy. I love to move around. I used to do so wrecklessly, and still have moments(especially when I am tired or just out of sync) when I still do so. But over the years I have learned how to effectively move in a tactical manner, really thinking ahead of each move. I've become quite adept at learning the maps and  predicting enemy location and movement. I have never had the best aim or quickest reflexes, so using intelligence and logic is my best weapon. I often feel like I have to out think my opponent since head to head I may be at a disadvantage. My aim, while improved, is still not as sharp as I would like it to be... a product of my not-so-great eyesight and slower reflexes. While I often lead my lobbies in kills... there are still too many times I also lead my team in deaths.

I don't use certain weapons, equipment, or perks in game because I believe they are cheap. Perhaps if I used things like the IEDs I might have more kills, but I'd feel bad about it. I don't like scorestreaks that do the work for me, I like to earn my own kills. I'll take going negative and getting a win over going positive and losing. I tend to lose my temper at times and am working hard on this aspect of my personality. I have found that if I focus my anger into the game I can really turn a bad game around. I do make it personal sometimes, and will hunt a player down for payback, particularly if it is a player on the other team camping it up and killing my teammates.

I love to play CoD. Folks on here think I defend it too much, but I love playing the game. I get just as frustrated as everyone else. I complain. I have to restrain myself from slamming my controller down and yelling expletives after every death... but I've learned that life is just too short to not enjoy it. My issues with the game I now look at as challenges, and figure out what I can do to over come them. I try to remember to say "Good Game" every time, even when I don't feel like it was.

So that's me... I am sure I left things out and maybe didn't explain enough... but that is me in short form. Who are you as a player? Why do you play the way you do? What are your strengths and weaknesses as a player?

Maybe through a bit of understanding we can help heal at least a part of this community. *Note- asking about players, not the devs or aspects of the game in this case. Kindly leave those arguments in other threads*

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
43 REPLIES

Re: What kind of player are you,anyways?

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

i try to run and gun but i caught a nail out of a nail gun in my right eye about 10 years ago and it has blurred my vision in my right eye. for the longest time i had a hard time shaving the right side of my face due to a blank spot. i have peripheral vison just not straight on from scar tissue on the back of my eyeball,   now after 10 years i have learned to adapt but my hand eye coordination isnt what it used to be so i resort to slowly moving and sometimes camping (not staring out a doorway unless i know someones coming), which is why i play hc its like a handy cap for me. 

Level 33

Great thread, drewish.

Okay. I've got a reputation for posting books as it is. I've started this post several times but, you know, I just can't bring myself to bore everyone with another novel. I've been working on making my posts shorter, believe it or not.

Part one of my long story made really short, my youngest brother got me hooked on Call of Duty. He's 21? years younger than me? Terrible, I know. Don't know my favorite bro's age. What I do know is that he was the last kid at home for more than ten years while my parents went through a very long, very bitter split so I was the only one that gave him the time of day ... and I like to think that kept him on the straight and narrow (even though he wouldn't be a Texan if he hadn't gotten himself into some trouble here and there; stuff that was more funny than trouble). So we mostly played video games together.

I was able to relate to COD with COD4 for a lot of reasons, but mostly because of the dreaded, hated, run a few yards, walk a few yards. I was born with a heart defect that does not allow me to work or run at an all-out pace for a long period of time. I have to pace myself so ... running a little ways then walking a little ways has always been a part of my life. To overcome this issue, I've relied upon my brain more than my brawn.

I started off terribly at COD4. I had a negative KDR for the first 100,000 kills. Definitely for the first 75,000. WaW had so many hackers and so few players that I spent most of WaW playing COD4. MW2 had huge issues, as well, the first 4 or 5 months and so that kept me in COD4, as well until about June of the MW2 season. Also, from late COD4 season to late MW2 season, I was involved with two clans. The first was great except that most of the members were across the pond. Between lag issues and time zone constraints, it didn't work out. But I did learn one huge thing ... KDR does not matter if you've got the right people. The second clan I learned that Game Battles, which later became MLG, was not for me, either. I won't start trouble by explaining why.

Anyway, before it was all said and done, I capped over 250,000 kills in COD4 and completed every challenge in the game. I did not come to fully embrace and accept every aspect of the game through doing so, but it got me 90% of the way there. I took another step in that direction when I learned how to deal with Halo jumpers, prone divers, and Last Stand by the time the MW2 season was over. In BO1 I made a huge leap toward tolerance by learning how to quick scope (still don't like it, but I don't mind if it stays in the game). I argued fairly bitterly about the changes BO2 made to one of my favorite perks, UAV Jammer/Ghost. Why? Because I had come to accept all the "cheap" perks other players used, why couldn't they accept my perk? In any case, in BO1 I also took the time to learn all the ins and outs of how people cheat. Turns out that MW2 set the groundwork for stopping cheating and TA and MS did a really great job of making it much harder to do so. As some have noted, with nextgens coming out, there has been a rash of hackers willing to go out with a bang, but in the long run, cheating just isn't the issue it once was.

Nonetheless, I lived with it in BO2. In Ghosts, I don't think it is that great a perk but I also don't think it is all that much needed. Whatever. I digress.

I'm also an older player. Over 40. I can't rely upon reaction time. I will lose. I freely admit that. Like drewish, I have my "rage" moments. Those are not very frequent for me anymore. Oh, I still have my "eff you" moments, but no more controller throwing, no more pyssing matches with other players running their mouths. Well, I will make some "Now run your mouth" comments. It really takes someone being a complete and total prick for me to speak up, though. I've learned a lot about myself by playing this game. And I've learned a lot about gaming. Oh, I went through the "fix the lag" phase. Thanks to a number of forum members for helping me see the light, maccabi and starbuck the most notable of them. After a small bandwidth upgrade, finally making a smart router purchase, and several hours on the phone with real experts, I've solved my lag issues. I've argued til I was blue in the face against buffs and nerfs in these forums. I've only been reprimanded once, though. And being under a closer eye here has helped me have better control in-game.

One thing the community really needs to think about are the changes more and more of us have seen to our favorite aspects of the game. A Pandora's box has been opened with the complaints. You get what you don't like changed ... that opens the door for other players to get what you do like to be changed. We can argue the merits of "arcade" versus "realistic" FPS all day long, but we're better off not demanding other people change the way they play. There's thousands of combinations possible. Someone is bound to come up with something that beats you out.

If anything will kill Call of Duty, it's going to be the intolerance of how others play the game. Limiting what can be done effectively limits how many people are willing to play the game. It really is that simple.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

Heavy weapon user - LMGs, mortars etc.  Can I have tanks and howitzers please?

Level 31

I wonder what it would be like if you could get together with a couple of teammates and man a howitzer in COD. We did tanks. That was cool, IMO. But, you know how it is ...

Level 62

Well - I guess I play differently depending on circumstance. Back in MW2 I was reasonably cautious, I use to love using my sniper rifle on a map like Wasteland. Playing Dom, I would use a running class until 2 flags taken, then find a nice hidey hole to snipe from. In BO2 I learnt how to run and gun more. I also learnt how to play HC with advice from the forum.

Generally my play style is a stick and move around the map as needs be. Have been yelled at for "camping" many times because killcams just show your last couple of seconds. Anyway, I firmly believe if camping helps you win - why not do it.

I also would consider my strength as adapting and game strategy. My weakness is probably my reaction time - my Zelda born reflexes arn't as fast as most of the younger gen.

I would also say that If I find a piece of equipment helps, I use it - damn the haters. My eyesight is pretty poor, so on a map like Stonehaven I need thermal. Have to say Ghosts, for whatever reason, is a bit harder to see character models. No complaints, it is the same rule book for all.

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

I am 43 with arthritis, and I am legally blind. I need to insert prosthetics in my eyes so I can see (and they irritate the heck out of my eyes, and they are damaging my corneas (one day I will be technically blind... then I will be seriously in messed up).  Hah you should see me right now, I have face in the computer screen as I cannot see yet, because I only have limited use of my eyes everyday.

I used to take a lot of flack for using the target finder (back in BO2), thermal sights, heart beat sensors etc.... over the years, but whatcha gonna do.  I am a gamer, and even though I admit that fundamentally these tools are crutches and bad for the game, they help me play.

I do not take too many complaints seriously, because one thing I have learned in life is: people only complain about what they do not understand, and if they walked in the shoes of others, they would not complain at all.  Someone always has it worse than you.

meh, but it is a game. not RL

Activision Ambassador

I suicide run everywhere

It's what i do i don't care if i die or not i just rush the fuck out of objectives and kill anyone i see along the way if they see me first due to my reckless behavior so be it

Level 8

in reply to BBBrian2013

nice! So do I!

however I will slow down when I get confused and cannot get a sense of the flow of the match... when I see where things are going again, I charge.

Activision Ambassador

and spin in a circle looking up at the sky?

I do that sometimes but the stupid pilot in the UAV never points me in the right direction.

Level 62

Studios