Which Maps are your Kryptonite?

Call of Duty Ghosts General Discussion

Which Maps are your Kryptonite?

Disclaimer- This is NOT a Map praising/bashing thread. There are several threads open discussing the merits and quality of maps, please join those if you are here to discuss good v bad maps.

I had a good bit of time to play the game this weekend, and it really got me thinking about a few things. One thing I realized as I was playing was that it seems that in every CoD title I have played, there were certain maps that just seemed to be my Kryptonite. Maps in which I could never seem to do well consistently. Maps that just seemed to disagree with my play style.. and while I would occasionally have success on those maps, more often than not they would frustrate me to no end. I wouldn't say they were maps I disliked... although my struggles with them map have forced them onto my list of "maps I don't like".

COD4 it was Strike and Crash, WaW it was Courtyard and Cliffside, MW2 it was Derail and Wasteland.... BO I was very confident on all the maps, but did struggle on Villa and Array at times, MW3 it was mostly Lockdown and Bootleg, and on BO2... well I actually had no real issues on those maps.

I describe my play style as a Tactical Mover. I don't have the patience to Camp, but I am also too logical to just run and gun wildly. So I combine all playstyles. I sit and wait when the situation calls for it, I move slowly and carefully around the map checking my corners and sight lines, and at times I do rush in to disrupt the enemy. So as I played this weekend, it hit me that two maps in particular were frustrating to me: Whiteout and Overlord.

Whiteout- I think what gets me about this particular map is the open layout. While there is a lot of cover behind rocks and walls... there is also a LOT of areas where you are visible from multiple vantage points. So there will be times when I will think I am in cover that I will get shot from an area I hadn't checked, or a spot where the enemy just wasn't visible. What I have done to adjust-  I stick primarily now to the perimeter of the map. I have the most trouble when maneuvering through the middle sections either in front of the ship or near the mill/Chalet area. There are just too many nooks and crannies to get shot from. I have the most success patrolling the fishing village or the back sides of the Mill/Chalet and ship.

Overlord- Wow... this map. I just haven't figured  it out yet I suppose... but I can have fantastic games on it and then feel completely incompetent the next time around. I think for me it is a combination of the bizarre spawns and lack of flow. Even playing with a full squad, it can be difficult to figure out the spawns. This makes it very difficult to be tactical... when you take out an enemy only to have them spawn behind you, where you had just spawned moments earlier. What I have done to adjust-  I have learned on this map to wait and see what the enemy's strategy is. If they are running around aimlessly, I will move from spot to spot and pick them off. If they are camping the middle building, I will infiltrate through the bottom floor or upper window and try to dig them out. I make a LOT of use out of the lower cliffside routes, as they seem to often be forgotten and offer good cover to move back and forth between sides of the map.

So my question to you all is... do you have maps like this? Not just maps you don't like(Though that may be a factor of how much you struggle on said maps)...but maps that just seem to challenge or frustrate you more than the others. Why do you suppose those maps have this effect on your game? What have you done to adapt or adjust to your struggles? Would be interesting to see if the discussion here helps folks improve on maps they may be having trouble with.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
36 REPLIES

Re: Which Maps are your Kryptonite?

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

Seige and Octane are the worst.

Octane forces people in buildings, anyone running in the middle dies. Stupid map.

Level 7

in reply to Sannji

Not really what I asked... but Ok.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

Pretty sure that's what you asked for buddy.

"do you have maps like this?"

Seige and Octane are the worst.

Why do you suppose those maps have this effect on your game?

Octane forces people in buildings, anyone running in the middle dies. Stupid map.

What have you done to adapt or adjust to your struggles?

Nothing. Because it's just shitty designs. What can you do other than camp in those two maps? Unless you're in a party thats in full cooperation, you're on your own. And in those maps, you just sit somewhere and wait for someone to run by.

Level 7

in reply to Sannji

My Misunderstanding then. It seemed you were just commenting on the maps.

Activision Ambassador

Flooded and chasm are probably my worst. I just don't really like the "flow" of these maps.  There are too many overlapping floors. Which usually makes everyone just run to one area over and over. So only 1/3 of the map even gets used.

Activision Ambassador

Sovereign is my Kryptonite. It's one of those maps where I'll start the match off on really well but as soon as I die it's all over. I can ride a 10+ killstreak off the start but when I fall dead it goes down hill. I'll spawn into a series of deaths that I'll never recover from. 

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

Sovereign is one I pondered mentioning in my OP. It is one of those Maps that can go either way for me, really.

Lately been having a bit more success on it so I left it off, but the spawns and multiple corners/pathways can make it a difficult one to get a groove going on. Maybe it is just me, but it seems to be one of the maps where I am asking myself  "Where did I just die from?", which I can usually ascertain easily even in HC.

I have been mostly sticking to the perimeter on this map as well, you can get some good vantage points through the middle of the map and folks tend to not look for you when you patrol the outside areas as much.

Activision Ambassador

Sovereign and Warhawk have a lot of spawnpoints that look the same. I often find myself doing the "WTF!" dance. It's where you spawn in a very generic area of the map and run around in circles until you get your barrings straight. My friend coined the term several years ago when we played MoH: Frontline. Some of those maps had Ctrl+C Ctrl+V areas of the map that were impossible to determine you're location.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

If you play TDM, sovereign is a camping game. Stick to the middle of the map around the 2nd floor of the room with that big light table. Poke your head out the windows or the side room next to the ladder for some kills from people who spawn on that side. If no one is there, run to the other side (but don't go into the room with all the computers). You can even jump down out the window and run to the other side using the bottom pathway.

Here I even drew you a diagram. Guarantee it will be busy in that area, and if it is not, after you kill a few people they will run back to try get you. A few IEDs will help you.

photo 11_zpsb07394b2.jpg

Level 7

Studios