Josh Olin fired after racism controversy

Call of Duty Ghosts Off Topic

Josh Olin fired after racism controversy

Evolve developer Turtle Rock has dismissed its community manager, Josh Olin, after he embroiled himself in a major racism row.

Olin took to Twitter this week to comment on the recent racist remarks made by billionaire basketball owner Donald Sterling, recordings of which leaked online and then blew up into a national US news story.

Owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, Sterling was apparently taped in a private location while in conversation with his then-girlfriend V. Stiviano.

Sterling can be heard telling Stiviano not to bring "black people" to NBA games, and talking of an understanding between the two that she would remove all her black friends from her Instagram account.

Olin claimed that Sterling "[had] the right as an American to be an old bigot in the security of his own home" and labelled him "a victim".

Evolve community manager fired after Twitter racism controversy • Eurogamer.net

Level 64
14 REPLIES

Re: Josh Olin fired after racism controversy

in reply to matuzz

I am by no means a racist, but shared similar thoughts about what is "said in your own home". I'm sure many of these reports and people reporting on this topic, go home and say racist comments themselves. This whole story is very odd. It's starting to look like a setup.

As far as Josh Olin and his position, being a community manager, there is an image that I'm sure the the developer or publisher wish to uphold. All positions that are in public relations or in the spotlight, they require people to walk a straight and narrow line.

I blame this whole thing on recording devices and twitter, not people.

Level 75

in reply to iHattoriHanzo0

#Blame JD_2020

Level 64

in reply to matuzz

Wow!

Level 18

in reply to matuzz

See, but there is no difference between defending speech and defending racism. I know. I know. Logic says that there is a difference ... but only racist logic cannot see that it is the same thing.

So. Since, Hattor, you are defending a racist you are now fired from your job, all your possessions are going to be taken away, and you will be kicked out into the street.

You're probably a greedy, rich, white guy anyway.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to nuttin2say

images-3.jpeg

Level 75

in reply to matuzz

Poor JD can't catch a break.

Proof that what you say, no matter how, where, or when you say it... is no longer private. And voicing an unpopular opinion can get you fired and slapped with a label for life.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to matuzz

This is a prime example of where common sense is not so common anymore.

Sterling had one person he was accountable to for his comments --> his girlfriend. Those comments are then released to the media as they were recorded. Sterling fired.  I have no sympathy for Sterling,,, as I could not care about anyone who clearly holds the views that he does. However, the fact that he now has a lifetime ban in his chosen profession for comments he made in private is not a great precedent. It just opens the door for people to use blackmail.

As for Josh Olin's statement,,, I am a bit puzzled to why his comments are so controversial, and that he himself can be seen in a bad light. I say this because Josh refers to Sterling as an "old bigot", which is a clear indication that he does not support such comments.

I think Josh can only be found guilty of commenting on a matter over a very public medium.

No doubt Josh's "Victim" comment refers, not to Sterling's clear racism, but to be publicly outed as being so. The fact that Sterling is a powerful, wealthy man, laid him open.  In my book Josh has been fired because he voiced an opinion publicly which could be easily taken out of context by those who wish the worse.. I'm guessing that Josh will from now on be very careful when it comes to personal use over social media.

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

FalconR6 wrote:

As for Josh Olin's statement,,, I am a bit puzzled to why his comments are so controversial, and that he himself can be seen in a bad light.

It wasn't what he said more the fact there was a huge outcry from the community as a result , its the sort of publicity no company or studio wants or needs , whether Josh said it as a joke or not it came over as he was defending Sterling making racist comments hence the outcry and firing.

Josh has basically now made himself unemployable in the industry for a while now and has now upped the tally of tripA franchises hes been fired from to 3

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Yes, I understand that an outcry can come about from such comments, and Evolve acted accordingly.

I guess what I am trying to say though is that his comment (in itself) did not deserve the repercussions. Taken out of context and sensationalized, his comment became a different beast to what was intended.  It is one of my bugbears that people and media sensationalize stories, and by doing so the actual detail of issues are lost in the headline. See this most often in politics.

I just wish the "world" was a bit wiser when it comes to delivering and listening to news  #utopianikknow . Alas, explaining and talking about an issue is much harder than creating stories to sell papers. 

I get it though, as a community manager Josh needed to be mindful of not what his intentions were, but how they could be perceived. 

Note: I have no idea why Josh has been fired in the past, so my comments purely go towards the current event.     

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

Studios