What is NAT, Where is NAT, How is NAT ?

SOLVED

Call of Duty Ghosts Off Topic

What is NAT, Where is NAT, How is NAT ?

Ok guys and gals,

I have brief understanding of what NAT is and does. I certainly understand that not having an Open NAT can be detrimental to gaming. However, with the term NAT being used so much within this forum, I'd like to understand NAT better. I know that configuring my modem correctly, and giving my console a Static IP is vital for NAT to be healthy.

So, what is NAT, where is NAT, and How is NAT ?  I'm looking for an answer that is digestible for average punters within the forum.

Supplementary question: why does it seem that setting up my X1 and modem correctly is more crucial than before on the xbox 360?

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is NAT, Where is NAT, How is NAT ?

in reply to FalconR6
Solution
‎06-12-2013 02:05 AM

NAT Types:

1. Open
  2. Moderate
  3. Strict
  • Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type
  • Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type
  • Strict can ONLY connect to open.

Strict NATs are a difficult problem with peer-to-peer games. Since most people don't have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won't be able to find many joinable games.

Also, if the player with a strict NAT does manage to join a game, if another player with a moderate NAT joins later, the player with the strict NAT gets kicked out.

The problem is even worse since it is sometimes difficult for software (i.e. Games for Windows Live) to detect which NAT type it is running behind, and can often report that the player has a moderate NAT when they actually have a strict NAT.

Another problem is that sometimes the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also NAT'd which often means even if you have a direct connection to the internet (without a router/firewall), the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.

These are some recommendations for getting a better NAT type:

The following ports must be available to your PC: 

• TCP 80
  • UDP 88
  • TCP 3074
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 53
  • UDP 53
Level 64
21 REPLIES

in reply to FalconR6

With NAT many devices can use the same IP. It basicaly changes the IP address slightly so each device get their own versions of the IP. But it also can cause problems with P2P services like hosting games etc.

Level 64

in reply to FalconR6

Network Address Translation (NAT) is a network protocol used in IPv4 networks that allows multiple devices to connect a public network using the same public IPv4 address. NAT was originally designed in an attempt to help conserve IPv4 addresses.[1] NAT modifies the IP address information in IPv4 headers while in transit across a traffic routing device. This presents some drawbacks in terms of the quality of Internet connectivity and requires careful attention to the details of its implementation. In particular, all types of NAT break the originally envisioned model of IP end-to-end connectivity across the Internet and NAPT makes it difficult for systems behind a NAT to accept incoming communications. As a result, NAT traversal methods have been devised to alleviate the issues encountered. NAT has become a common, indispensable feature in routers for home and small-office Internet connections.

Level 67

in reply to gambit1969

Ok - I think I follow.. But, I want this to be explained for someone like this:

style="max-width: 1200px; max-height: 900px;"/>

________

in reply to FalconR6

Simplest way to explain it to a person like that is just tell them its "witchcraft"

Level 67

in reply to FalconR6
Solution
‎06-12-2013 02:05 AM

NAT Types:

1. Open
  2. Moderate
  3. Strict
  • Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type
  • Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type
  • Strict can ONLY connect to open.

Strict NATs are a difficult problem with peer-to-peer games. Since most people don't have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won't be able to find many joinable games.

Also, if the player with a strict NAT does manage to join a game, if another player with a moderate NAT joins later, the player with the strict NAT gets kicked out.

The problem is even worse since it is sometimes difficult for software (i.e. Games for Windows Live) to detect which NAT type it is running behind, and can often report that the player has a moderate NAT when they actually have a strict NAT.

Another problem is that sometimes the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also NAT'd which often means even if you have a direct connection to the internet (without a router/firewall), the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.

These are some recommendations for getting a better NAT type:

The following ports must be available to your PC: 

• TCP 80
  • UDP 88
  • TCP 3074
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 53
  • UDP 53
Level 64

in reply to FalconR6

to NAT or not the NAT? That's the question.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaSS is OP. SaND get's everywhere
Level 59

in reply to FalconR6

Or is this the Nat you are talking about......

Level 67

in reply to FalconR6

idk but mine has always been open and I've never touched my router or ported it.

Level 3
Highlighted

in reply to FallenSnowFish

Show off - I'm guessing Upnp is able to do the work for you.

If I don't create a Static IP and Port Forward = Strict X1

________

Studios