AMD GPU users beware

Call of Duty Ghosts PC

AMD GPU users beware

I feel sorry for those who will buy the PC version I as an nVidia user am appalled by what IW have done, the listed minimum GPU requirements are so laughable it’s not even funny. A GTS 450 for nVidia users and a whopping HD 5870 for ATi/AMD users. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the HD 5870 is three times as powerful as a GTS 450, the audicaty IW/nVidia have is unseen. Basically this game requires more ATi/AMD GPU horsepower to even run, than Crysis 3 (The benchmark for PC graphics) does. They must have deliberately coded CoD - Ghosts to run horribly on ATi/AMD hardware. There is no other explanation as the discrepancies between the nVidia/AMD minimum requirements are massive. 

I had this game in sights for my little sister who plays on a capable mainstream HD 7790, but it looks like I should look elsewhere since the HD 5870 is still a higher class of card. A huge portion of the PC community with very capable cards that are below spec wise to the HD 5870 will suffer.

It does not take a genius to see that this will be a failure on PC.

This is coming from an nVidia user who is rocking a GTX 680, but even though I buy nVidia cards this sort of partnership that handicaps the users who use ATi/AMD GPU is outright insane and makes me sick. 

Look at the below chart, it's not even funny:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Level 6
32 REPLIES

Re: AMD GPU users beware

in reply to damze

damze wrote:

They must have deliberately coded CoD - Ghosts to run horribly on ATi/AMD hardware.

or... maybe Nvidia and IW have a technical partnership that will see Ghosts using EXCLUSIVE nvidia technologies in the pc version.

Not really a conspiracy theory here buddy its a well known fact and something nvidia have been shouting about for ages .

damze wrote:

Basically this game requires more ATi/AMD GPU horsepower to even run, than Crysis 3 (The benchmark for PC graphics) does.

Ya think maybe this could be that being optimized for nvidia that other makes of cards needs more power to match what the nvidia bods and iw have done

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Obviously you don't know much about PC hardware. The minimum requirements for AMD graphic card users is utterly insane.

Crysis 3 blows this game out of the water visually so don't give me the nvidia partnership excuse. Other games that feature nVidia PhysX do not handicap AMD users by upping their minimum GPU requirement three times higher. 

Level 6

in reply to damze

damze wrote:

Obviously you don't know much about PC hardware. The minimum requirements for AMD graphic card users is utterly insane.

Crysis 3 blows this game out of the water visually so don't give me the nvidia partnership excuse. Other games that feature nVidia PhysX do not handicap AMD users by upping their minimum GPU requirement three times higher.

well its not really an excuse is it seeing as its totally true

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

I like how you completely indifferent to the fact that everyone in CoD PC community will suffer from this, less AMD GPU users will be able to play, meaning that the MP community will be small, and will be mostly comprised of nvidia users.

Level 6

in reply to damze

damze wrote:

I like how you completely indifferent to the fact that everyone in CoD PC community will suffer from this, less AMD GPU users will be able to play, meaning that the MP community will be small, and will be mostly comprised of nvidia users.

I'm not indifferent I only commented on your tinfoil hat theory and explained the most likely reason as to why.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Save your keyboard maccabi, some people don't want explanations, they just want to cry and try to stir up a sh*tstorm.

BTW, I agree with you, if IW have been working closely with NVIDIA then it seems to make perfect sense that the game is going to be more optimised for NVIDIA hardware than for AMD, though AMD will be supported well enough - it's all DirectX anyway.

Level 7

in reply to Stormproot

My guess would be that IW is working just as closely with AMD as with Nvidia. Most of IW's sales for Ghost will come from console buyers.  The next gen consoles both will be using AMD and NOT Nvidia so IW has a  huge reason to optimize their software for AMD also.  (Also since the next gen consoles are using x86 hardware -( PC architecture), the changes made to optimize for AMD would be much more easily coded (ported) for the PC than the current gen consoles.

I would guess that since the engine in Ghost is not a new (its just updated)  engine that it would run on older/less powerful video cards except for maybe the following?  To run Ghost your video card must support Direct X 11. AMD cards prior to the 5000 series did not support version 11 of direct x.  And a card that does 'support' direct x11 may not have supported all of its functionality (especially if the card was produced when Direct X 11 first came out).

While the game lists 6GB of ram as a minimum (i can't believe it would really need that much!) it only requires a dual core processor so the game would not seem to be that intensive.  On a different note, I feel bad for those with older computers, but I'm happy that for once a COD game might be able to take advantage of the higher spec's my computer has.  I'd like to have good gameplay AND good graphics!

Level 2

in reply to Mechman1

I don't believe they are working as closely with AMD on the PC side of things. As I mentioned before the HD 5870 is still a powerful card and eats the GTS 450 for breakfast. If they had gone with a HD 5750/5770 as minimum then that would make perfect sense as they match the GTS 450 in performance. The minimum AMD GPU requirement is thus utterly insane, Crysis 3 the benchmark in high end gaming and cutting edge visuals requires a HD 5770 as minimum. Something is terribly wrong here, and I fear we will see an uproar in these forums when the game releases.   

Level 6
Highlighted

in reply to damze

damze wrote:

I don't believe they are working as closely with AMD on the PC side of things.

are you going to keep ignoring the thing where its been explained to countless times nvidia and IW worked TOGETHER on ghosts .

damze wrote:

Something is terribly wrong here, and I fear we will see an uproar in these forums when the game releases.   

As long as we have people like you blowing on the kindle they bought with them ...

Level 75

Studios