This is why we can't have nice things

Call of Duty Ghosts PC

Re: This is why we can't have nice things

in reply to CYBER-NINJA-187

CYBER-NINJA-187 wrote:

The omission of basic features like a FOV slider, to name just one, is the developers’ not delivering on that promise. So our frustration and disappointment continues sadly.

you know you keep going on about the fov slider , like its some g-d given right to have one in a pc game , lots of pc games dont and there are very good reasons why they dont. While you may think its just an easy thing to add one, fov sliders cause massive issues for developers as you then have to code for something that isn't static in nature and have to allow for the changes in huds, graphics and a whole heap of things.Its alot easier to develop a game based on a set fov.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

LOL Thanks for the info. The quote of an FOV slider was the first thing which came to mind, so it wasn’t me ”Going on about it”. From experience playing with a narrow FOV gives me headaches and eye strains; MW 3 was unplayable to me until I started using an FOV tool. Ones health is a person’s number priority, because without good health you are useless and unable to function normally. Let alone perform to the best of your abilities. So yes I do take FOV’s seriously and voice my concerns, in order to protect my well being!!!

Edit; I left out unable to game with poor health!!! LOL

Level 7

in reply to Maccabi

We always had access to change the fov back in the 90's and most games still do via game config if nothing else. It all comes down to some game makers have gotten lazy Like you said its a lot easier to develop a game based on a set fov and that is just pure lazy. Some people get headaches and such with lower fov and even sick. My fov is always at 90 or 100 .... most games I have it set to 100. So for me Fov is also a big issue as well

Level 2

in reply to SK8Mojo

SK8Mojo wrote:

We always had access to change the fov back in the 90's and most games still do via game config if nothing else. It all comes down to some game makers have gotten lazy Like you said its a lot easier to develop a game based on a set fov and that is just pure lazy. Some people get headaches and such with lower fov and even sick. My fov is always at 90 or 100 .... most games I have it set to 100. So for me Fov is also a big issue as well

its only "lazy" if you dont understand how games are made and think its ""easy"

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

As someone who has experience with game design and actively studies it , you have no idea how wrong you are. It's extremely easy to code around adjustable variables. Also as a game developer you should want to give your players as many reasonable options as possible, specifically when talking about PC gaming where players come to expect these types of options. So yes it is lazy and also poor practice.

Level 8

in reply to MrAdaptability

MrAdaptability wrote:

As someone who has experience with game design and actively studies it , you have no idea how wrong you are.

ok wanders off shaking head

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

You can shake your head all you want. I work with Unity, UDK, CryEngine, Blender, Maya, Python, Java, etc. Don't want to believe me, that's your choice but you're just showing your closed-mindedness. I'm actively developing a game as we speak in UDK with a buddy, but wait that's absurd. /endsarcasm

Level 8
Highlighted

in reply to Maccabi

No disrespect to you but oh please this is a FPS war game not the sims this is all basic settings in a good FPS war game . So yes I call lazy. They cant even fix the screen resolution issue in all new COD games the last 5 years if that's not lazy what is. People have to use wide screen fixer programs to game correct in all COD games. And all that is a lazy game developer as they never fix the issue.

When I play BF3 I set my screen resolution in game and oh look it works correct When I play any new COD game it looks all stretched and I have to get a wide screen fixer. So yes I call lazy full on lazy as they never fix it in any new COD game. We pay big money to play said games so Yes I expect them to build a PC game correct and for the in game settings to work not look all stretched. In truth I don't care how hard it is bottom line they need to fix things if they want the games to sell. Also, I never said it was easy your words not mine but yes sir I full on call LAZY!

Level 2

in reply to CYBER-NINJA-187

CYBER-NINJA-187 wrote:

Let’s face it a console is just a cheap PC, with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. The fact of the matter is this, the game is developed on PC’s, built on PC’s, run by servers aka PC’s, updated by PC’s and evolved by PC’s.

Thats more true with the next gen consoles as they are using X86 architecture (Windows PC based).  But the 360 and PS3 (while coded for on PCs) had proprietary OS's.  So porting to a PC was a true port.  And the fact is as soon as consoles are released they are inferior to PC hardware (My PC is already significantly more powerful than a PS4 or XbOne).  So games are coded to old tech for years.

Now we may finally see advances in PC gaming at a structural level for the first couple of years and then it will slow down.  As have the past 5 years of the latest gen have.   But since they are using the same architecture as a PC adding additional features should be more cost effective.

Level 6

in reply to afflictedmed

I wish they would add / unlock stuff for PC and if not in game settings then the config , I know how to play in a config and would help anyone who dose not. All I want unlocked is fov and FPS and real game servers not this we will connect you to a server crap and no pings just green bars lol so xbox and so not PC gaming.

I wanted this game so bad it's not even funny but first and foremost I am a PC gamer and I just cant see myself buying a game for PC if it is so console like. And as always fix the screen resolution issue its gone on long enough, as well as add large maps and 64 player servers. That's my full list Ghosts could have blown BF4 out of the water for PC had they taken the time to do the PC version correct but sadly from the homework I did its a fail. Due to the lock downs on fov and fps and servers and I am banking map size and server size as well.

Level 2

Studios