Can you still be great and a loser at the same time?

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 3

Re: Can you still be great and a loser at the same time?

in reply to TheBeastlyDude

I didn't take offense. I was just pointing out reasons same as you I guess. I agree with you on stat whores. They just take games to serious. Lol.

Level 11

I leave because no matter how good I am, we're still gonna lose because my teammates fucking suck.

Level 11
Highlighted

in reply to veilofmaya

If you are good, then certainly, you should have players who are also good on this game wanting to add you as a friend so that they wouldn't have teammates who suck, right? That's the magic about COD games; you can choose your teammates.

Level 40

Winning became less important when they started giving ribbons and trophies for participation.

I'm a random team player most often placed against clans. A win is a win, I don't care if it's the entire match my team wins, or the small victories placed through-out the match. Of course I play to win, but I can only do what I can do.

Level 8

Excellent thread.

I totally agree with what's been said above, and can't really add much.

To me the purpose of any form of competition, which CoD is, is to come out victorious. Yes it's a game, but that should just mean losing isn't the end of the world. Winning also will not bring you unimaginable riches! but it will make you feel good in the short term. There is nothing better in CoD than a close fought match where you come out winning by a small margin. To me that wouldn't be the same if I had used a hack or cheated in any other way.

I don't understand the importance people place on their stats. I was in a HC Dom match earlier, which we lost. The scoreboard showed the top two players on my team with over 50 kills each, way fewer deaths, but 0 caps. The top player on the enemy team was the same. Three out of the twelve players had no interest in winning the match, just wanted to boost their KDR. That seems to happen a lot. It's not the game or developers fault, it's the mentality of the players. So it wont stop, because it's all about 'what your peers think'. They see you with a 3 KDR and think you must be great. Then they play with you and see you're actually not. But you make an excuse and all moves on. Kind of pointless, but it's the way it is.

I'm like you guys, mid forties, really don't care about my stats, other than for me to self assess my performance. It means nothing to anyone else unless they have watched every match I have played. I guess the obsession with 'looking' good is a youth or generation thing. I probably would have cared more in my teens and twenties.

Level 38

Good post. I'm all in for the win any day. To me it's more gratifying than any stat. Unfortunately, like others have said most times it becomes secondary when playing COD with some people. In this age of bragging, boasting, and self-gratification most of the kids today look more at individual stats than anything else. The stats become there be all end all, proof to everyone that they are as great as they claim they are. There is no greater feeling, when playing, than going toe to toe with an opposing team and squeaking that win out in a competitive match. Beats a high KD any day.

Level 7

TheBeastlyDude wrote:

More and more, it feels players are moving away from wanting to win on COD to just wanting to look good.

Reasoning behind this:

- Those who mod the game do so to make it look like they are better than they truly are and having to cheat, it just shows they are losers inside.

-When people see that they are facing a clan, no matter how good the clan is or how bad, they leave. What ever happened to welcoming the challenge?

- If a team loses, they are usually quick to point out if the winning team has a low overall score or KDR.

-The lack of wanting to change playstyles to acheive a win, such as a camper camping a low traffic area away from objectives.

I

interesting points.

Winning to some really doesnt matter, they want the new patch, the new headgear, the new camo, the new what ever and they could care less about the win. Truthfully, not everyone will play this game with that level of care, yet they play. I do not like to lose, so I am a player who will always go for the win. The win is where I get my fun.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

You kinda missed the point. This thread isn't about those who go for patches and whatnot and I have no problem with that. But if you're going to sit there and brag about your stats but you're not winning, it's time to call them out on it. Like I said, you can have the best stats but if you're not winning, then what do those stats actually mean.

Level 40

TheBeastlyDude wrote:

You kinda missed the point. This thread isn't about those who go for patches and whatnot and I have no problem with that. But if you're going to sit there and brag about your stats but you're not winning, it's time to call them out on it. Like I said, you can have the best stats but if you're not winning, then what do those stats actually mean.

I didn't miss the point, I just added that some players probably want the patches and looks (as you call it "look good") than winning, just a thought.

One can only speculate to why players not try to win, but its out there. Yesterday, I played a game of Dom. I (literally) was the only one capturing the flags, I was dumbfounded why others would walk by me even when not being attacked. But this is COD and players will do as they wish.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

I am mistaken, you are right. I didn't think really as getting patches to look good as it is to accomplish the challenge. The only thing I can think of is that at least with challenges, you are gaining something in game, whereas if you are only going for KDR or SPM, you don't receive anything in game.

Level 40

Studios