How do I know the direction of enemy footsteps?

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 3

Re: How do I know the direction of enemy footsteps?

in reply to IClassicI

You can't yet there's no xbox one support for dolby yet so its all just stereo at the moment but they should have the problem sorted soon fingers crossed.

Level 1

in reply to IClassicI

Head set + amplify + map (hud) = direction

If you flank the maps, which I guess you do, then locating these foes should be a little easier for you to detect them.

Level 10
Highlighted

in reply to IClassicI

7 way speaker system or headset. 

Level 39

in reply to IClassicI

Solution 1 ... don't use Amplify

Solution 2 ... turn your character 360 degrees. The louder the footsteps become, the closer you are to identifying the direction from which they are coming.

Solution 2 does not work so well if you are using Amplify because the perks makes footsteps that are 30 feet away sound 3 feet away. If you have an opponent that is 10 feet away, this creates a problem - which one is closer? That's why I've posted several times elsewhere that Amplify is vastly overrated and may hurt players more than it helps.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to IClassicI

Turn the bass down way down like all the way.

Turn the center down about 5 notches.

Turn the back down about 2 notches.

Leave front the highest.

Try to keep a wall to 1 side or your back. When you hear someone running look towards the sound, trying to center it. Ease left/right/left/right slightly and listen. You can tell which way they are moving by listening to the sound change speakers from left to right. The same goes for up/down, but up/down is not nearly as obvious as left/right. The font and back differences in volume help you know if they are behind or in front. If the sound is getting louder they are getting closer, if softer further.

Another good way to know someone is coming is to use the radar and watch for green teammates nearby that disappear. If you are in a tight area of the map, then someone is coming. If the green is blinking cause they are shooting, then disappears, then you have a real good idea of an enemies location. You can lay out satcoms, tacts, and lethals for the enemy to come after like bait because someone with siterep will come to destroy it, when they are shooting at it you can pick them off.

Level 5

in reply to IClassicI

I can generally tell where they are coming from with my inexpensive headset but every once in awhile the sound has been known to tell me that they are coming from my left only for me to get killed from my right (confirmed by the kill cam replaying the same sound that I heard on my left before I died).  Those are the moments that frustrate me the most.  But generally speaking a headset with surround sound is the way to go.  The high end name brands I hear are great but I find that the lower end sets work just fine for me.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

I've got 2 PS3's so I found an extra pair of used like new Tritton Pro AX 720's on ebay for $50 bucks (no mic). I had bought some cheapo turtle beaches for $20 bucks, what a waste, you can't tell up from down, left from right with those. You definitely need true 5.1 DTS to position players by sound only. That means each earphone will have 4 separate speakers inside, 8 speakers total. But dead silence is ridiculously over-powered, those guys will get you every time so keep the edge of the stage to your back as much as possible. This also helps with positioning because if you hear something you know it won't be behind you.

I just wish I could turn that stupid music off and that corny announcer, that's the best time to rush by the way, nobody can hear you coming while the insanely loud music plays bleeding our poor eardrums dry.

Level 5

in reply to TinyLittleTimmy2

Tell me about it.  I've died a number of times because the announcer just had to say something at the worst possible moment.  I've actually found myself telling him to shut up like that's going to do any good.

Level 69

in reply to phxs72

I've lost count of the number of KEM's I've missed because of that dumb music, I have stop and hide at the beginning till it is over, and again at the end, it's just so freaking annoying, then some guy runs in were I'm hiding till it gets all played out and calls me a camper. Haha, I don't camp, I creep, the least of my worries are loud rusher's that make easy prey. Campers don't top the lobby for standing still nearly every game. The only reason I miss those KEMs is cause I have to stop moving around corners cause I can't tell what is on the other side because the cheap music drowns out all those cool sound effects.

I do use amplify though, and focus, I consider those 2 perks essential, along with off-the-grid.

Level 5

in reply to IClassicI

IMO, the most important part of soundwhoring hardware is the Dolby decoder/Mix Amp/DSS. You can use pretty much any headphone or earbud but you need something that will decode Dolby and simulate the surround sound. I'm using Sound Blaster Recon 3D and the sound positioning is very accurate and I can tell the exact direction of where the sound is coming from. I can even tell if they are above or below me. The headphone I use is an Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

Level 35

Studios