Lag Comp Needs to be dialed back a bit.

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 4

Re: Lag Comp Needs to be dialed back a bit.

in reply to ge0rdiemark

I've watched OBMs vid. He describes the problem of matchmaking. In his view it should be done differently, but, alas he states Ghosts is on the right track. No where in that video does he state that "lag comp" in ghosts distorts latency.

Latency, aka lag, does exist - fact. Latency can have both negative and positive effects whether you are the lagger or laggie - fact. Not one single gunfight is ever 100% fair - fact.

Lag comp goal --> to allow you to shoot the character model on your screen (it joins up character model to the hit box).

The above are facts - not theories/guesses.

Please - forget what you think what "lag comp" is. Go and watch the vids I provided earlier on in this thread,,, as well as the link to notes concerning lag /lag solutions. Please do this with an open mind.

No one in this forum will ever dispute latency or BS deaths - this is part of gaming. All I am saying is that many confuse latency symptoms with faux lag comp.

trust me - I know what it is like to lag,, badly. Simply put - when you have better matchmaking, meaning lower total latency within a lobby, gamers will have a better experience.

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

Then we agree

So, how can IW and Acti do better match making.

I have 75 mbs optical fibre, < 10 ms ping to London (lot of players of COD in UK)....

Tests show 45 mbs upload, 75 mbs download (Ethernet), drps to 40 mbs over wireless.

So why do I get some laggy games when only my Ps4 is connected ? Something is wrong

Level 8

in reply to ge0rdiemark

ge0rdiemark wrote:

So why do I get some laggy games when only my Ps4 is connected ?

Because bandwidth doesn't determine ping.

Level 35

in reply to Megadog14

Bingo Megadog.

This is is a common thought - more bandwidth means less ping (false)

My analogy (far from perfect, lol) - increased bandwidth means more lanes on a highway. So, more total traffic can flow. But, individual traffic can only adhere to the inherent speed limit of the lane/line. What is important for you to meet your destination is that you have a clear lane. 

Higher bandwidth means you can download/upload more traffic at any given time.

Ping is reliant on who you are pinging.  Ping is not speed - ping is time taken.

Gaming takes very little bandwidth compared to, for example, Geordies excellent bandwidth. What you need as a gamer is a stable and unimpeded line of communication. If your connection is also being used to download "you tubes/twitches" - then you want your router to be sending your console information first  

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

Hi falcon, that's a really good analogy!

Level 5
Highlighted

in reply to Megadog14

But having 10 ms PING to London servers, and UK being a large COD community, it does not take Einstein netcode to find me a good lobby...

Level 8

in reply to ge0rdiemark

How are you measuring the ping? Speedtest.net?

Level 35

in reply to ge0rdiemark

ge0rdiemark wrote:

Get off your high horse, I am a physicist and do some programming and know what lag comp is.

People with optical fibre in UK should be able to find low ping games, something PC servers have been able to do for the last 10 years  especially for games with high player numbers like COD.

you're a  physicist yet think having an optical fibre connection would give you a lower ping? , not sure how or the whys you think pc servers have been able to do this for 10 years but anyways..

as for the uk.. the main supplier of fibre in the uk is virgin.. which is also the worst isp to have if you are gamer .. weird how that works isnt it

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Fibre actually does give you a lower ping to your ISP and therefore, by extension, a lower ping to everywhere else. The reason for a lower ping is because the fibre network will have less hops between the ISP and your premises compared to any other network. This is due to the nature of how light travels. Unlike an electrical signal travelling along copper, light does not degrade or require the signal be boosted along the way from your premises to the ISP. It only needs to be routed (for more information research undersea fibre network). As such, there are fewer nodes (and buffers) your information has to traverse to get from you to the ISP. This lowers your ping.

Ultimately though, the ping benefit is negligible. If, however, everyone was on fibre the combined ping benefit would be tangible and the improvement to the online experience would be noticeable.

Level 11

in reply to Pwnsweet1

Pwnsweet wrote:

Fibre actually does give you a lower ping to your ISP and therefore, by extension, a lower ping to everywhere else. The reason for a lower ping is because the fibre network will have less hops between the ISP and your premises compared to any other network. This is due to the nature of how light travels. Unlike an electrical signal travelling along copper, light does not degrade or require the signal be boosted along the way from your premises to the ISP. It only needs to be routed (for more information research undersea fibre network). As such, there are fewer nodes (and buffers) your information has to traverse to get from you to the ISP. This lowers your ping.

Ultimately though, the ping benefit is negligible. If, however, everyone was on fibre the combined ping benefit would be tangible and the improvement to the online experience would be noticeable.

Actually thats not true at all, data travels at almost the same speed through fibre as it does through copper wire, the only difference is one is via light and the other via electrical signals, Data doesn't travel anywhere near the speed of light through cable (which is another popular misconception - although im not implying thats what you meant)

having less hops from the isp to you is called the last mile network and its where the majority of latency in gaming occurs (at both ends if you are playing on a listen server) once your data leaves the isp and hits the backbones it travels same as anyone elses data would.

as for less nodes, nope fibre usually has more or the same as once the cable hits the a residential street they branch off as most residential streets have a shared cable that then splits to each household. which is another reason why cable isnt the best connection to have for gaming as you suffer bandwidth issues at peak times.

Level 75

Studios