Lag Comp Needs to be dialed back a bit.

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 4

Re: Lag Comp Needs to be dialed back a bit.

in reply to DjangoBlack2

DjangoBlack2 wrote:

Raketti wrote:

ExtremeKiller70 wrote:

I've noticed in some games ill start out getting owned then one player leaves and the games seems to balance out. But that's more on my PS3.  On my PS4 the game runs pretty flawless.  Same internet connection.

I also get more inconsistencies with the connection on the PS3 version, up until the holidays my PS4 version ran extremely well most of the time but lately i've been getting more bad lobbies on the PS4 version too. Not as often as i did on the PS3, but often enough to annoy me a bit. I get that i cannot expect a consistently perfect connection since we are playing over the internet, but it's dissapointing since the game has ran better for me.

You would think the increased amount of players online would give the matchmaking better chances to work, but so far it hasn't really done that. This really shouldn't suprised me though, as i've had similar experiences in some of the previous titles as well (more players online produces a more inconsistent connection).

One factor obviously is that i've been getting more player hosted sessions than i did before the holidays (i've monitored my connection while playing several times), and overall the connection is still pretty good for me, let's see what happens when the first DLC drops.

Same for goes me.  Game was pretty decent around Christmas. Now I get the stutter lag on every map.

I don't get any stuttering, rubber banding etc.I get the usual inconsistencies in the connection where i get shot around corners and loose gunfights where i shot and hit first several times first.

Level 22
Highlighted

in reply to Raketti

Don't lose many gun fights where I shoot first.  But I still die around corners. don't think that can be fixed

Level 2

in reply to RexxCastle

Lag compensation is a seriously misunderstood term. Lag comp does not try to place everyone on a "level playing field" in real time. It does not change the latency you have to other players.

What is does do is make the game playable. Without lag comp the character model you are shooting at would not match up with its hitbox. So, without it, you would have to shoot "ahead" of your target and pray.

The latency between gamers is unchanged. Thus, you get bs moments when you swear you shot first - but according to the master state of the game, your opponent saw you first (in real time) and shot you first.

Do developers address lag compensation - yes, but not in the way that you might be thinking. For instance - in Ghosts, Mark Rubin has explained that the way in which matchmaking occurs has been altered. In BO2 "geolocation" was used - the game considered you to be playing where your IP address given by your ISP came from. For me, this worked really poorly, as my geolaction shows up 800km away due to that being where my ISP keeps their servers. SO - in Ghosts this has changed to more accurately denote where you are in terms of the internet. Thus - the goal of Ghosts is to provide lobbies with less latency within them --> reducing the work of lag compensation.

I'll add a few links to clarify:

Lag (online gaming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what I've read from folk that know what they are talking about - Driftors math when it comes to adding ping is not quite right. But the principles he is explaining is very good.

For how Ghosts has changed it's thinking in relation to lag compensation

With the X1 we have a hybrid system of dedis and listen servers. But the above principles remain the same regardless. With an increase of population of X1 ghosts coming with Christmas, we should all have a better time of it

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

Do developers address lag compensation - yes, but not in the way that you might be thinking. For instance - in Ghosts, Mark Rubin has explained that the way in which matchmaking occurs has been altered. In BO2 "geolocation" was used - the game considered you to be playing where your IP address given by your ISP came from. For me, this worked really poorly, as my geolaction shows up 800km away due to that being where my ISP keeps their servers. SO - in Ghosts this has changed to more accurately denote where you are in terms of the internet. Thus - the goal of Ghosts is to provide lobbies with less latency within them --> reducing the work of lag compensation.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Mw3 and Black ops 2 suffered from lag compensation rewind time, mainly due to "geo-location" that didn't work, you know how I know? because users 5000 MILES away were connecting to the lobbies I was in which were dedicated 40ms servers, with people 5000 miles away.   (-_-  )

This issue is present in Mw3, BO2, Ghosts; along with awful rewind time lag compensation delay in BO1, Mw3, BO2, Ghosts, also caused by people 5000 miles away.

They out right lied they did nothing to fix the issue with match making or lag compensation, its extremely simple and CLEAR, anyone can check this, use any IP program and see where people are connecting from; people from 5000 miles away connect to lobbies and screw up the lag compensation delay.

Level 6

in reply to Starbuck_OS

Never said matchmaking in Ghosts was better. I stated geolaction had been used in BO2. Changes have been made re Ghosts as explained in video. Hence - addressed.

Personal experience is that MW2 gave me the best lobbies in terms of playing against folk closest to me (after patch a couple of months in - before hand I was playing in USA lobbies constantly when I'm in Aus).  MW3 and BO2 were sub par for me. So far - Ghosts is in the middle ground.

Good night - I need sleep

________
FalconR6 | Community Forum Moderator

in reply to FalconR6

If you read my response again you will notice I was pointing out the method they claimed was in use, wasn't actually used, they did not base their matching making by geo-location, as connections 5000 miles away was made extremely consistently in lobbies.

Level 6

in reply to RexxCastle

Agree with your original post Rexx.. What you are experiencing is real.. lots of people will preach with factual knowledge they've simply googled or gone on youtube to get.. reality is a whole different thing hey,,, some people get bad lag and others don't experience it much at all.. 

I've tried some experimenting in the past.. tried a couple of games on tethered 3g connection/wifi just to see the effect.. will never be doing that again though!.. The result - harder to find a lobby, a bit juddery, but did get a split second advantage over others for sure. would definitely not recommend it though as the game play is not good [bad frame rate] and its also hard to party up [strict nat] and chat to people.. 

My internet is 70 down 20 up and a 6-8ms ping to google.com and also bbc.co.uk.. I always play ps4 wired ethenet. IMO the COD Ghosts matchmaking needs some refining, and the lag comp model needs a some work too.. lag comp is obviously quite complex, [yes essential for online gaming] but you know when its hammering you too much as the game is very hard to play [get that feeling as soon as the game starts like you have huge lead boots on [even with agility perks] and even when ADSing, firing on a player whos mid sprint they somehow seem to turn and drop you with one or two bullets...[youve already hit them 3/4 times before they fire]. could this be another reason why some players tend to camp.. probably.. 

Until the developers acknowledge the real world issues and implement fixes you should do the normal things to get better matchmaking, such as enabling UPNP in your router, giving your PS4/3 a static IP and putting it into DMZ in your router.  Altering your bandwidth does nothing but change your lobby to people with similar stats..most lag comp is calculated on ping.. I monitored my ping during some laggy games and it appears as though 200+ms was being added [hard to prove this] Ask you internet provider to turn off interleaving.. or if you are on ADSL/sky ask them top reduce the max delay to 8ms [old gaming profile]..  

Level 1

in reply to xXxFatGodfather

Did you just say that facts aren't real? Wow..

Activision Ambassador

in reply to gotsomestars

No, he said people come on here preaching "facts" they've found on google & he's right (usually with absolutely zero understanding of what they're posting or whether it's actually relevant to the topic)

Level 5

in reply to gotsomestars

I rarely have lag comp issues with this game. When I went from PS3 to PS4 they got even more rare. If a lobby is laggy freaking leave & find a new one. People cry & blame: campers, lag, lag comp, OP crap etc when it's just themselves and nothing more.

Level 7

Studios