PS4 frame rate issues recently (March)

SOLVED

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 4

PS4 frame rate issues recently (March)

Hi guys

Im wondering if anyone else is experiencing frequent frame rate drops in multiplayer. Especially the past few days. Any ideas why that might be?

Thanks a lot

Kevan

Level 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PS4 frame rate issues recently (March)

in reply to -_target_-
Solution
‎17-06-2014 09:09 PM

Okay, I noticed this while playing it on PS4,  and being primarily a PC gamer (with a $4000 PC) I've seen this from time to time so I know what it is. This isn't the Frame RATE dropping. It's the Frame TIME dropping (frame rate dropping would still remain just as responsive but the motion would appear less fluid, frame time dropping causes the controls to feel laggy and the images appear to "skip" onscreen). The PS4 is set to only display 60 frames per second, but the problem is, it's not set to only GENERATE 60 frames per second. So no, the PS4 is not too weak to run the game, it's actually more powerful than the developer realized so they couldn't optimize it properly. Think of it this way. When you see a constant 60 frames per second, each frame is on your display for a specific time, 1/60th of a second. The PS4 is generating around 120-144 frames per second so each generated frame's time is only 1/120 - 1/144 of a second. So what it does is some of the frames in that time span get dropped and then the frames that are displayed have their times extended so that something that should only have taken up 1/144 of a second now takes up 1/60. Problem is, without a v-sync option on the PS4, it's not precise in which frames get dropped, so you could see stuttering because the frames aren't evenly dropped so it's displaying frames that should have dropped and dropping frames that should be displayed, which makes it look like it's skipping. Sadly, It's not something the developers can fix on their own. Sony has to release a software/firmware update so that the system's APU is set to only generate a maximum of 60 frames per second. I hope this helped and I hope I explained it thoroughly enough because it's a kind of complicated thing. Just know, there's no easy fix for it and it may be awhile before we see one.

Level 1
92 REPLIES

in reply to -_target_-

Its been like that,idk how long but i got my ps4 1st week of feb and been like that since launch i heard. They have to fix that

Level 3

in reply to bladdermetal

I do not know where the problem originated, but I'm glad they found a moment before the solution is:)

Level 1

in reply to -_target_-

It's because PS4 is right now locked to max out at 60hz and COD Ghosts is frequently going above 60fps which is causing the shuddering and what seems like frame rate drops.  So basically IW needs to lock the frames at 60fps so they stop going over the needed amount and that would cause the shuddering also known as "frame rate drops".  Even when you experience frame rate drops they don't last long and really aren't that noticeable on here.  At worst the game might drop to 40fps is someone is running 2 choppers, a couple of care package choppers come inbound, a Trinity rocket, and everyone on the map shooting at the same time.  It would really take a lot for the engine to get stressed and have frame rate drops.  So like I said IW needs to simply lock the fps at 60 max and the game would stop doing this.

Level 7

in reply to LT--SHiNySiDeZ-

ya ive heard of this and i didnt used to get so many frame drops in a game.

ive restarted my router and gonna play again today. Could it be due to the clan wars happening?

Level 3

in reply to -_target_-

Some days are better than other days on here.  The big thing I noticed is certain parts of certain maps are worse than other parts of the map.  Also depends on how overloaded the servers get with requests.  But your connection has nothing to do with frame rate drops/shuddering.

Level 7

The glitchy screen is do to a laggy network, an overloaded server, or someone joining the room with a dial-up equivalent connection. It screws up the way the server sends the gamers location in the game, and causes the user to reset back to the last known point (the jittery look). If the problem were related to FPS, it would be noticeable in all modes of the game (single player, multiplayer, and whatever the alien version of the game is). Movies are filmed and presented at 24FPS, and up until the most recently released, gaming consoles only had up to 30 FPS...anything above that is negligible to the user experience.

I think, like other online games have had in the past, the problem lies with how the servers are set up, and how users are grouped into rooms. One gamer with a bad connection will bring the whole room down...especially on maps up to 18 players.

Best advice is to switch rooms, or finder a room with smaller max numbers.

Level 1

in reply to Smitty1c1

Not meaning to sound rude, but you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about.  One persons connection is not gonna bring the whole lobby down, that would only be true if everyone was using nothing but dedicated servers and they would need to have a ping probably above 150ms to make it affect everyone.  Besides you can notice it in every game mode on here.  I see it all the time in Extinction and many people that play SP see it happen so yea it is a faulty game design.

Level 7

If what you said is true, then :

1. does it mean a display with 120hz refresh rate or anything higher than 60 will solve the issue?
2.Since IW is not locking the frame rate for ghosts, sledgehammer will mostly not do it either right? so does it mean call of duty will always have frame rate issues on ps4 since the hardware is powerful enough to exceed 60 fps all the time.

Thanks

Level 2

in reply to -_target_-

Framerate issues were apparent on the PS4 upon release date (even in pre-release it was noticed and talked about).  However, the 1.62 firmware update which was supposed to address several stability issues seems to have done the opposite.  In my experience on 2 different PS4s, since the 1.62 update, the framerate drops on the PS4 with Ghosts has increased about 10 fold.  It used to be a generally rare occurrence, but I am seeing the drops several times a game and in some, it makes the match nearly unplayable.  They went backwards with the latest PS firmware.

Level 16

Studios