Withouth Oxygen in Space would we see muzzle flash?

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 4

Withouth Oxygen in Space would we see muzzle flash?

I understand doing certain things for impact and visual effect but I am curious from what I have read and heard if you fired a gun in space because of the lack of oxygen you would not see a muzzle flash like in this new Campaign trailer. To me it does not matter either way because it looks really cool but I am actually pretty curious from a scientific point of view if in fact you would or would not be able to see this and also how the gravity in space and other aspects would effect a fire battle in space. Please add your thoughts and follow me on twitter

Level 1
14 REPLIES

Re: Withouth Oxygen in Space would we see muzzle flash?

in reply to rise_up44

First off you wouldn't be able to use conventional weaponry in space because of the gravitational forces of space itself. The only weapons that could be used in space are energy lasers and beam weapons. By looking at the trailer already Call of Duty fucked up that realization.

Level 1

in reply to JediMasterYoda

JediMasterYoda wrote:

First off you wouldn't be able to use conventional weaponry in space because of the gravitational forces of space itself. The only weapons that could be used in space are energy lasers and beam weapons. By looking at the trailer already Call of Duty ****** up that realization.

Total codswallop ,

You can use conventional guns quite easily , as for gravitional forces how do you explain how satelites and the ISS stays up in space??

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

*puts on science hat*

the iss and other objects in earth orbit are held in place by rockets, its speed my dear watson, speed, faster is goes, earths gravity doesn't count.

As for the question of firing a conventional weapon in space, actually it will work, modern bullets have some oxyen inside them, when the hammer from the trigger hits the bullet it explodes, regardless of the vaccum of space.

*removes hat*

Level 15

in reply to thebigb82

thebigb82 wrote:

*puts on science hat*

the iss and other objects in earth orbit are held in place by rockets, its speed my dear watson, speed, faster is goes, earths gravity doesn't count.

As for the question of firing a conventional weapon in space, actually it will work, modern bullets have some oxyen inside them, when the hammer from the trigger hits the bullet it explodes, regardless of the vaccum of space.

*removes hat*

Actually gravity plays a large part in keeping satellites up, between that and velocity it's the balance of these two things that keep things in orbit not rockets. The only time rockets are ever used is to correct or change course/position of a satellite. Satellites are pulled towards earth by gravity , the earth is a sphere and rough math here it curves roughly 5m for every 8km traveled, so as long as the object you want to keep in orbit exceeds this speed it wont ever fall to earth. Depending at what hieght and where you launch a satellite from you can get them to do funky things like stay in geostantionary orbits for example which is done by having  the satellite in an orbit of just over 35km at this height it matches the rotation of the earth.

Modern bullets don't have oxygen inside then, they have an oxidizing agent in the powder

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

you do know i was actually agreeing with you, its nice to meet a fellow astronomer on here

Level 15

in reply to thebigb82

thebigb82 wrote:

you do know i was actually agreeing with you, its nice to meet a fellow astronomer on here

im a space geek what can i say

Level 75

in reply to JediMasterYoda

JediMasterYoda wrote:

First off you wouldn't be able to use conventional weaponry in space because of the gravitational forces of space itself. The only weapons that could be used in space are energy lasers and beam weapons. By looking at the trailer already Call of Duty ****** up that realization.

what ever your smoking, must be good stuff.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75
Highlighted

in reply to Izjar11

please some tell me how there is "GRAVITATIONAL FORCE" in space  "WHERE GRAVITY DOES NOT EXIST" HAHAHA THIS THREAD MADE ME LAUGH IMO HAHAHHAA

Level 7

in reply to Ex-inm8

AND AS FOR SPARK AND OXYGEN  "incase" anyone didn't know a bullet is "INCASED" (<<<<<<<<< lol did you see what i did  there hahaha)    meaning the the spark oxygen and gunpowder are physically in a space environment  therefore a gun can easily be fired in space if anything it would be more powerful wouldn't it

Level 7

Studios