can ps4 and ps3 play together on multiplayer?

Call of Duty Ghosts Playstation 3

can ps4 and ps3 play together on multiplayer?

Im wondering if players on the ps3 can play against ps4 players in multiplayer since both will have dedicated servers.

If anyone can answer me it would be much appreciated.

Level 1
23 REPLIES

Re: can ps4 and ps3 play together on multiplayer?

in reply to SMDB1

I would highly doubt that Ps3 users could play with Ps4 users.

1. Ps4 allows the use of previous PS titles meaning that the ps1, 2, 3, and 4 games can be played on PS4. So people could potentially have the PS3 version of the game and they wouldnt have to pay the $10 upgrade. If online was shared(between ps3 and ps4) then people would just buy the PS3 version of the game for their PS4.

2. People would argue that one console has an advantage over the other. Because of the new generation capabilities, the ps4 may overpower the ps3. In this case they would never be able to play with eachother.

3. New possible controls. On the PS4 you might be able to use your touchscreen for some situations. The PS3 doesn't have a touchscreen. Yes you can make the ps3 users press a different button but to be in the same match it would just be confusing.

Level 6

in reply to IKEELU20

such a pity, alot of people will not have ps4 and will loose playing with friends who have moved on, not right really

Level 2

in reply to magsisere

Make new friends.

Level 19

in reply to IKEELU20

i thought the ps4 was not backwords compatable maning ps3 games wont work on the ps4

Level 1

in reply to jono2514

Affirmative PS4 will not be backwards compatible. I think I may hear something about dedicated servers for the new consoles? This would confirm the generation gap are not going be playing together online.

Level 1

in reply to SMDB1

No, you cannot.

Pretty sure Mark Rubin already confirmed this.

Level 7

in reply to SMDB1

The $10.00 upgrade for Black ops 2 is very self explanitory. I mean, why would they charge you $10.00 to upgrade to the PS4 version, if you could use a PS3 and play online against people who have a PS4.

Level 1

in reply to SMDB1

As others have stated, the answer is "No". The reasons are because one platform may have an advantage over the other. For example, let's say you throw a Smoke Grenade out. On the PS4 it may render that smoke differently than it does on PS3 and provide better cover when viewing it on the PS4. If they were playing together, the PS3 could have an advantage in this situation as they could see you earlier. This was an example they gave as to why the games aren't playable on the same console family (PS3/PS4 or Xbox 360/One).

Level 33

in reply to LifeSong1

Honestly, that's not the real reason. The main reason is money. What's the incentive to go out and buy a new console, if you can still play with ppl who choose to buy a next console? It makes sense to us the consumer, but not as an investor. They want to push as many consoles as they can. They can make it work, but it just doesn't make sense financially.

Level 19

Studios